AX8 or Axe FX II XL +

JKM777

Hi All,

I currently run an axe fx ultra and would like to upgrade to a newer fractal product.

My current rig runs: guitar - Berringer FCB1010 for midi - pedals - Axe fx ultra - Peavey 6505mh - Zilla 2x12 as the basis.

When running this set up, I tend to only use one amp sim on the axe fx. For rhythm settings I run it without power amp and cab emulation (axe fx only functions as pre-amp) this is amplified by the slave Peavey head and Zilla cab.

Cleans and soundscapes (think tesseract/periphery style) are more complicated but I rarely use more than one amp. All effects are added and again powered by the peavey & zilla. I think this points to AX 8 being a good choice, but it it as capable of producing those tones as the II.

The difference for me is home recording - When i make my patches on the ultra I tend to blend cabs to get my sound (My zilla is loaded with a creamback h & v30 for example) and I have always blended on the ultra (v30 & Fractal metal cab for example is a staple) and i feel that this could be an issue with the AX8 vs the II.

I am aware could also then buy the hi res Zilla pack to get closer to the tone I get from my live rig, but i will not be able to blend more than one cab?

I like the idea or the AX8 as it has the capability, updated firmware, ultra res cabs, will allow me to get rid of the FCB1010, and is very portable/compact at a brilliant price point.

I like the idea of the II as it can sit in a power conditioned rack easily, its more than capable of everything i need, its tried and tested and would slot easily into the place of the ultra.

What I want to know is, what are the features of the AX fx II XL + I will miss if I buy the AX 8 or is there anything I have missed that may cause an issue, has anybody had both who can help me out?

I want my rig to maintain, capability, versatility and the ability to transport it easily, its just working out which is the best unit to tick the box's.

Last edited:
I think, you will be fine with the Ax8. You don't mention anything that the Ax8 cannot do.

One thing to consider is that the cab block in Ax8 is quite 'handicapped' compared to XL+ (I don't know about the ultra). The XL+ has microphone simulations and a full mic preamp page. The Ax8 only has controls for proximity frequency, proximity amount, delay, level and balance.

I think, you will be fine with the Ax8. You don't mention anything that the Ax8 cannot do.

One thing to consider is that the cab block in Ax8 is quite 'handicapped' compared to XL+ (I don't know about the ultra). The XL+ has microphone simulations and a full mic preamp page. The Ax8 only has controls for proximity frequency, proximity amount, delay, level and balance.

Ok, this is more along the lines of the information im looking for, but im right in saying that i could do alterations on cab lab?

Another point im looking at is how many Banks are avalible and how many patches per bank?

Back
Top Bottom