AX8 - One week to set up

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
So, I got the AX8 early this weak and only had time to set up a few presets.
I converted them from the Axe-Fx XL.
I changed the folder in the workspace for each preset, giving them names like "Clean"; "Crunch", "Lo gain"; ...
since that's what they were basically for.
Importing in the AxX8 was very easy - drag from explorer to AX8-Edit.
I only had to copy the amp volumes from the XL.
Strangely enough, the clean amp - a Fender Twin, was noticeably quieter even after copying the volume settings.
Fun thing was that all scenes worked as on the XL.

My first remarks:
  • I'm missing a headphone out
  • Global blocks (obviously)
  • No way to set a minimum volume or a range in the controllers
  • Recall function - a bit hard to find (see Joe's post below) (edited)
Let me elaborate a bit on that last point.
The way I'm using it on the XL is a s follows:
External 1 is used to control the OUT 1 (cc #11)
I program each preset with a value for minimum volume at 100 (CC 11 100)
In the past I had problems with having to change the boost according to the situation.
With a three piece band, I could send a CC of 112 for boost, but in a metal band with a second guitar player I had to change this to a higher value.
So on the Gordius I made a configuration bank where I could choose the volume boost using variables.
At the soundcheck, I adjusted the volume boost.
Mind you, this is something only the Gordius can do, not even the RJM can do this.

With the AX8, this is impossible.
the only way to do this, is to add a boost block at the end of each row and change all the values - a lot of work if you are using a lot of presets.
If you would be able to set a range for VOL1 or perhaps for the external controller, this would be an easy fix.

To be continued......

Last edited:
  • The Utility on page 4 of the global settings for setting the volume was very usefull. Sadly this hasn't been implemented on the AX8.
  • No recall function
"The Utility"? Do you mean the VU screen? It is implmented:
SETUP->UTILITY->VU

Recall Function? Do mean preset recall? Set one of your F-switches to SINGLE PRESET/BANK. Selecting that foot switch will bring you to the recall screen.

I hope this helps.

Strangely enough, the clean amp - a Fender Twin, was noticeably quieter even after copying the volume settings.

If you import an INPUT block that was saved on the Axe-Fx, the LEVEL parameter in that block is set to -20 after importing. Make sure to adjust this.

If you would be able to set a range for VOL1 or perhaps for the external controller, this would be an easy fix.

I'm a big fan of adding a global (adjustable) boost feature to the Axe-Fx, AX8 and FX8. Like many amps have, the G-System, G-Major etc.

Thanks Joe.
As i was scrolling through the menus I noticed the volume utility so I edited my post.
With recall function, I mean copying a block from one preset to another.
Or maybe I've missed that one as well ;-)

Thanks Joe.
As i was scrolling through the menus I noticed the volume utility so I edited my post.
With recall function, I mean copying a block from one preset to another.
Or maybe I've missed that one as well ;-)
The EFFECT tab on the screen I referenced in my last post allows you to import effect blocks from other presets.

If you import an INPUT block that was saved on the Axe-Fx, the LEVEL parameter in that block is set to -20 after importing. Make sure to adjust this.
Nope, didn't import an input block.
But I'll check all other settings just to make sure.

The EFFECT tab on the screen I referenced in my last post allows you to import effect blocks from other presets.
OK found it. I can cross that from the list as well ;-)
Thanks for that.
But.... I did RTFM and found nothing on this topic so it might be a good idea to add this.
Perhaps on the "If You Own An Axe-Fx..." page.
It states on #3 that it boots to the footswitch page but perhaps you could add this here

So far so good.
Setting up the first presets went quite well.
I'm using scenes for songs and my main fx-combinations.
I'm even thinking this might be easier than lugging the Xl and a foot controller so this might well become my main rig :)
Only problems so far are the volume boost and how to handle songs.
the way I have songs programmed now is mainly the tempo for delays and so, and harmonize settings if needed.
That way I only need one preset for multiple songs.
So I might have to look at another solution for that.
Also for setlists and such..

The method below won't let you adjust the amount of boost dynamically, but you can switch all presets between two boost levels. It's similar to M@'s trick in the way that it decreases the overall signal first to be able to boost it.

It's a bit of work, and not the most elegant solution, but it's doable, I think, because I just came with this idea and I have not tested it yet. ;-)
  1. Add a VOLUME block to a preset, at the end of the grid.
  2. Set its Level to a minus setting. The difference between the value and 0 dB should work for a "soft" boost. Start at -3 dB or so.
  3. Attach external controller 10 to the Volume parameter.
  4. In the modifier menu, set MIN to 8.00 (for now). Set MAX to 10.00. Exit the modifier menu, set Volume to the same value as MIN, and set PC RST to ON.
  5. Assign a switch to the block on the Footswitch page.
  6. Engage the block.
  7. Save the preset.
The preset with the VOLUME block engaged is your rhythm setting. To boost the signal, bypass the VOLUME block with the switch.

To determine the amount of boost, switch I/O > MIDI > Ext.Ctrl 10 between 0% and 100%. One setting should result in a louder boost than the other. Adjust the MIN modifier value until you get the desired level difference between between 0% and 100%.

Use Init Val at 0% in one band, and 100% in the other band.

If it works, use AX8-Edit to copy and paste the VOLUME block in all presets.

Let me know how it works out.

Last edited:

@Joe Rogers or anyone else - where can I find the EFFECT tab that you are referring to?

I would like to import an effect block from one of my presets to another. I don't see an effect tab in the utility section. I could have sworn that I have done this before, though. That tab hasn't been removed, has it? I'm using Firmware 2.02.

@Joe Rogers or anyone else - where can I find the EFFECT tab that you are referring to?

I would like to import an effect block from one of my presets to another. I don't see an effect tab in the utility section. I could have sworn that I have done this before, though. That tab hasn't been removed, has it? I'm using Firmware 2.02.
I had the same question

Set one of your F-switches to SINGLE PRESET/BANK. Selecting that foot switch will bring you to the recall screen. Once on the Recall screen, press <PAGE> once, and you will be on the EFFECTS tab.

I am a bit lost. Right now I use 5 scenes and 3 is (globally) when I press f1 currently it just takes me up to the next preset. Is that not what you are talking about @Joe Rogers

Thank you, Joe. Your instructions worked. Any chance there is also a way to swap X and Y in a block without using AX8 Edit? :)

Seems strange that you have to have an F switch set to one of those values in order to get to the recall screen. I didn't have any of my F switches set to SINGLE PRESET or bank. I use preset/bank up & down. It would seem to me that somehow, once you've got a preset selected, you should be able to get to the recall page regardless of how your F switches are programmed. Any chance that will change? Not a big deal as I'm fine working around that.

Thanks again for your help and quick response.

Thank you, Joe. Your instructions worked. Any chance there is also a way to swap X and Y in a block without using AX8 Edit? :)
While in the block - double tap edit button (or if it is assigned to a footswitch, press and hold)

Reactions: TFC
While in the block - double tap edit button (or if it is assigned to a footswitch, press and hold)

That is how you navigate from editing X to editing Y. I was asking how to swap the settings in X and Y. Sorry, I could have been a little clearer.

Ahh - sorry missed that - I do not know if that can be done on the unit.

I would love it, if somebody compiled a list of all the keystrokes and combinations that do something specific on the unit. It is tedious to search through the manual to find these things.

Reactions: TFC
I use a filter block at the end of the chain and set it for a 2.5 db boost works perfect

Back
Top Bottom