AX8 MIDI Loop BAck Switch Assign Question?

DJD100

Power User
In my quest for having a pedal setup similar to my Axe Ultra rig, but all-in-one etc, can you loop MIDI out of the AX8, then back into the AX8 (via a cable etc), and assign 3 foot switches to control the Looper via MIDI (Rec/Play, Play/Stop, and OD), while leaving the other foot switches available in Scene Mode.

I'm looking to NOT have to change modes to utilize Scenes and the Looper, and 5 Scenes is enough per preset for me.

If unknown, can someone please try as I don't have AX8 currently etc.

TIA...

Last edited:
The AX8 only transmits MIDI PCs, and Looper only responds to MIDI CCs to be controlled externally.

Let's hypothetically suppose for a minute that it did transmit CCs per scene. You could in theory use a few Scene switches to control the Looper via a loopback connection... but you'd also be changing scenes. So you're on Scene 3, your Lead scene, and you hit the Scene 7 button which you programmed to transmit the MIDI CC for Looper record. It starts recording, but it also changes the block states for Scene 7 so you lose your lead sound.

An esoteric loopback setup like this using scene switches just wouldn't be useful.

It would be much more useful to have the individual Looper controls available as freely assignable Footswitch blocks.

So in Scene Mode the FS's are changing Scene's in addition to sending PC's, and it's all hard coded, bummer.

That's too bad, now I need to hope Helix can do it, or I just stick with what I have and/or add a external looper.

Thanks for clarifying this for me!

The AX8 only transmits MIDI PCs, and Looper only responds to MIDI CCs to be controlled externally.

Let's hypothetically suppose for a minute that it did transmit CCs per scene. You could in theory use a few Scene switches to control the Looper via a loopback connection... but you'd also be changing scenes. So you're on Scene 3, your Lead scene, and you hit the Scene 7 button which you programmed to transmit the MIDI CC for Looper record. It starts recording, but it also changes the block states for Scene 7 so you lose your lead sound.

An esoteric loopback setup like this using scene switches just wouldn't be useful.

It would be much more useful to have the individual Looper controls available as freely assignable Footswitch blocks.

Back
Top Bottom