AX8 Midi capabilities

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Will it be able to send midi messages to other midi units on a board? Thinking of selling the AxeII an MFC and going with this and a few pedals I miss such as the Timeline and Big Sky...but can the Ax8 control them? If not it wouldn't work the way I hope that it will.

Definitely interested in all it's midi capabilities as well. I'd think it could send cc or pc changes via midi to them at the least.

my hope is tat it can select presets and turn pedals like that on and off via scenes, or at least presets. tap dancing isn't the worst thing but it would be really nice if it could do this. tempo messages as well.

There aren't any details, but we can make some assumptions. Assumptions sometimes turn out to be incorrect, but at least these are semi-educated guesses.

Assumption 1: AX8 will send (and respond to) PC messages per preset. FX8 offers this ability, and it isn't specific to amp control like the FX8 relays.

Assumption 2: AX8 will feature a MIDI block. It's not just an Axe on the floor, it's also a controller. So as with the FX8, I think it's reasonable to assume that it will provide at least basic MIDI control of other gear. With scenes and the current MIDI block iteration in FX8, you can send 2 PC messages and and 1 CC per scene. In a preset with a MIDI block, you can have the main preset PC message (to the FX8 channel), up to 8 scene PC messages (1 per scene), up to 4 PC messages with the block (PCs for block X On, block X Off, block Y On, and block Y Off), and up to 2 CCs with 2 different values (CC X value for block X On, etc).

The number of simultaneous different PCs per scene is currently 2, so programming a couple other Strymon pedals with FX8 (and therefore AX8?) would seem easily doable. Add any more devices, and you'd have to start planning the preset orders on the external devices to line up.

Assumption 3: I think we can safely guess that it won't send tempo. No Fractal product currently has MIDI clock output. You'd be better off with a Disaster Area or Molten Tempode. The AX8 could still be your brain, just send PC messages to the master MIDI clock and let it send out tempo to other devices.

Disclaimer: any of these assumptions could turn out to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom