AX8 John Petrucci Rhythm Tone

ChrisX8

Hi everybody! After years of playing with cheap amps/digital units and years of struggle to save money, I recently bought an AX8.
My primary goal was to obtain that distinctive Petrucci tight low sound that you can hear in every video he plays Pull Me Under riff for example. After several days of tweaking and downloading patches nothing seems to really work and, considering this was pretty expensive for me, I'm just getting depressed..
Can I actually achieve that kind of tone with my unit? Have I made a wrong purchase? If somebody could help me out I'd be grateful.
Have a good day!

This helped me quite a bit. I will say this, I don't think it's really possible to get the "amp in the room" sound you might be craving. You will, however, get very close to Petrucci's recorded tones following some of these "best practices" by Leon Todd:

Also, you want to find some really good IR's for the cabs since that was key making the presets sound really top level.

There are many free IR's out there that will help get you closer to that ideal sound through your monitors.

I had found some free Mesa Boogie ones that OwnHammer provided for demoing to see if you wanted their IR set, however, they stopped offering them for free some time ago.

They are not very expensive so I had purchased the Mesa Boogie California Rectifier Traditional Cab pack (it comes with a lot of IR's).

You might want to research what type of Mesa cabs Petrucci had used for specific songs/albums.

Here is the Recto one through Fractal Audio (cheap at $19):

Cab Pack - OwnHammer 412 Recto (fractalaudio.com)

Thanks all, to MrKCMark, I've been watching all Leon Todd videos lately, and though they all very useful, I always end up obtain a very 'metal' type of sound, but not too focused in the low cut, and I can't obtain that "chug" typical of Boogie's..
Thanks playingitloud, I might have a check at those, even if I'm a bit scared to spend more money without achieving the goal.
(And to clear up that, the goal is to get the kind of sound you'll hear at 3:00 in this video)

Back
Top Bottom