AX8 is the PERFECT Size / Weight - PLEASE don't CHANGE it!

Tones2

Experienced
With Line 6 and Headrush coming out initially with these HUGE way too BIG & HEAVY floor units with attached expression pedals and now are coming out with these tiny stomp units that are completely dysfunctional live, I'm hoping with any new model floor unit that replaces the AX8, that the physical size and weight stay pretty much the same. It's actually the perfect blend of having enough switches on the unit to be functional but small and light enough to fit easily into any backpack. I really fear that FA with make any new unit have a much bigger screen, which is fine as long as it doesn't affect the unit's overall size (just get rid of the navigation button and control knobs and replace with a touch screen). I'd hate to see happen what happened to the rack version - making it much bigger than the previous version.

I dont mind if these units are getting smaller- you can always plug a midi footpedal and have more buttons if you need. I too prefer it not to be be bigger and bulkier though.

Yeah I'd MUCH rather the unit be smaller than larger. It's just gotta have 8 switches minimum on it for patches / scenes / effects control and a dedicated tuner switch. Given that, I'm 100% good with smaller & lighter. But I fear the opposite will happen.

With Line 6 and Headrush coming out initially with these HUGE way too BIG & HEAVY floor units with attached expression pedals and now are coming out with these tiny stomp units that are completely dysfunctional live, I'm hoping with any new model floor unit that replaces the AX8, that the physical size and weight stay pretty much the same. It's actually the perfect blend of having enough switches on the unit to be functional but small and light enough to fit easily into any backpack. I really fear that FA with make any new unit have a much bigger screen, which is fine as long as it doesn't affect the unit's overall size (just get rid of the navigation button and control knobs and replace with a touch screen). I'd hate to see happen what happened to the rack version - making it much bigger than the previous version.
the HX Stomp is in no way dysfunctional live...it's not meant to be a regular full rig replacement.

double the power, half the weight are my top wants.

And if happens to be smaller, I'd be okay with that too. I can live with 4-6 buttons with all switches being programmable in every way instead of just F switching vs the other 8 etc.

What has been the typical interval -- time-line wise -- for new product releases from FA?

If I understand correctly, the current AX8 is priced at less than it was upon initial release....I wonder if that is an indicator that a upgraded model to on the near horizon?

Yes, I agree that I would prefer that the unit maintain its form factor. In my particular line of work, I do lots of traveling and flying so I actually really need for it to be small. Having an attached expression doesn't allow to break up the size. If you are a hobbyist or an A or B list artist, the small difference in size doesn't matter. But for a working class musician in a party band, it can make all of the difference.

I am eagerly waiting to see what Fractal will do in bringing AxeIII functionality to a pedalboard. But I am resigned to the likelihood that the wait will be significant. They still haven't shipped the FC-6 and FC-12 foot controllers for the Axe III yet. Gotta believe any newly developed floor model is a LONG way out. Not being critical --- it takes time to develop new products and software -- I get that. And when Fractal delivers something, it is rock solid. I'm perfectly happy with my AX-8, but will be among the first to sign up for the waitlist on any new AxeIII-based floor model.

I cannot deal with less buttons. I do love that it has not exp attached. I do not want to have to add a small midi pedal to get more switches

I could easily live with 4 buttons + the F functions. 6 would be ideal. Right now all they bring is flexibility IF needed. I've never needed all of them.

Back
Top Bottom