AX8 into desk at Mic level

SteveD61

Inspired
I went to a jam at a local studio on Sunday with a music group I belong to. I got there a bit late and was a bit rushed when I had to set up to play, so I grabbed one of the XLR cables from one of the Mics and plugged it into the AX8 to play through the house PA.

The thing was so loud I couldn't get the volume down to reasonable levels - a friend dropped the slider on the house PA but it was still way too loud in the foldbacks (pre-fader). I bumbled through the songs, but it was a learning experience.

The Mic input was set up for Mic level (about -50 dB) and the AX8 setup for Line level (+4 dB) no wonder it was so loud. The desk had no Pad on the input (or Mic/line button) so it was a matter of adjusting the input gain knob until the slider sat at 0 dB. At least I learnt something that day

I went to a jam at a local studio on Sunday with a music group I belong to. I got there a bit late and was a bit rushed when I had to set up to play, so I grabbed one of the XLR cables from one of the Mics and plugged it into the AX8 to play through the house PA.

The thing was so loud I couldn't get the volume down to reasonable levels - a friend dropped the slider on the house PA but it was still way too loud in the foldbacks (pre-fader). I bumbled through the songs, but it was a learning experience.

The Mic input was set up for Mic level (about -50 dB) and the AX8 setup for Line level (+4 dB) no wonder it was so loud. The desk had no Pad on the input (or Mic/line button) so it was a matter of adjust the input gain knob until the slider sat at 0 dB. At least I learnt something that day
yes. you need to adjust the Gain knob on any mixer channel to compensate for the gear going into it. there are no rules at all for "guitars = this setting" or "vocals = this setting" for the gain knob on a mixer. every input is different, even the same sources (vocals guitars etc) at the same gig with the same mixer on different days. it is usually always be adjusted for every performance.

also, the Fader doesn't "have" to be at -0- dB as a hard rule. you use those faders to mix things relative to each other. so vocals, for example, could be at 0 on the fader and instruments perhaps at -5 dB so they aren't as loud, if that's the mix you want. if you want everything to be the exact same volume, then setting everything to 0 dB on the faders will do that, assuming everything is gain-staged properly.

curious - what did you have the AX8 Out 1 knob set to? 100%?

Last edited:
I had to put the Out 1 knob to almost 0 to get the volume to manageable levels while the PA was set up for a mic input. Normally I like to have it around noon.

I had to put the Out 1 knob to almost 0 to get the volume to manageable levels while the PA was set up for a mic input. Normally I like to have it around noon.
ok just checking. some think they absolutely can't turn it down below 100% when they run into this issue.

on most mixers at different gigs, setting the Mixer channel gain all the way down and using XLRs from the AX8, i can get to 9 o clock to 12 o clock on the Out knob.

you can definitely turn that Mixer channel gain all the way down with no loss of tone or issue.

...it was a matter of adjusting the input gain knob until the slider sat at 0 dB. At least I learnt something that day
That’s what the input gain knob is there for. If the guy running the studio didn’t know that, he’s got some learnin’ to do. :)

That’s what the input gain knob is there for. If the guy running the studio didn’t know that, he’s got some learnin’ to do. :)
Because I was late he wasn’t there. He set up the Mics etc and then left us to our own devices

Because I was late he wasn’t there. He set up the Mics etc and then left us to our own devices
yikes. that's horrible. bands should be able to access the board or have someone running it.

regardless, as said, any channel would need to be adjusted to the gear connected to it in every situation.

in the i/o menu you can set your output to -10. Any time I go someone where unknown I always switch that setting. Also the should have tuned the gain on your channel all the way down then slow raised it to a useful level. Hopefully they are aware that the gain is not the fader

Back
Top Bottom