AX8 input level leds

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Im barely hitting first green led, when i strum hard.Do i need to adjust input level somewhere in AX8?

In the hour or so I was able to play my AX8, I worried about the input levels as well. If I strum really hard, I can start to light the red when pad is at the default 6dB. However, playing single notes barely lit up the first LED. If I put the pad at 0, then I could get a pretty bright red when strumming hard, so I went back to the default. It sounds fine, so it is probably just a difference in granularity of the indicators (if, like me, you are used to AxeFx which has more).

Most of my guitars are equipped with Duncan JB or Dimarzio ToneZone pickup in the bridge. They'll keep the red light lit pretty well with the pad at the default 6db. Even my P-90 Guitar and Noiseless Tele will keep the yellow light lit. I don't see issue with my lighting the red light a bit... (My EMG guitars will peg it pretty hard.) But not to the point that I hear any problems.

I know it doesn't specifically state it in the current FW notes, but AX8 input gain was definitely affected by the FW. My main two guitars an Ibanez Jem with Evo's required a pad of 6db/almost 12db as did my EMG 66/81 axe...now I barely get the red with it down to zero.

I have mine set to 0db...before and after the FW update and see no difference.
It was changed back to the default of 6db after resetting system parameters as recommended so some may need to recheck.

I know it doesn't specifically state it in the current FW notes, but AX8 input gain was definitely affected by the FW. My main two guitars an Ibanez Jem with Evo's required a pad of 6db/almost 12db as did my EMG 66/81 axe...now I barely get the red with it down to zero.

Shouldn't be.

Thanks for the reply to my comment!! Would running wireless into the input vs. direct cable potentially be the cause of this?

Feelings stupid...I think there is a gain setting on my Shure GLXD14, which I had forgotten about. I likely made an adjustment to that and forgot to then redo my input gain on the AX8....

note that the Red LED on the AX8 is multi-stage/brightness. so just because it simply lights up doesn't indicate clipping.

You can adjust the input pad.

On the unit press shift - setup, and then go to the I/O menu. There you can adjust the input pad. The default is 6 dB. If you reduce it to 0 dB, you should be getting more LED response and a slightly better signal to noise ratio.

Where do you have the lights when you set your preferred input gain ?

I tried the 6 dB standard, and the red light up fairly often with both my main guitars. It seemed fine, I have not touched it since then.

I actually reduced the output level on my GLX16D with one or two notches. I felt, it was coming out hotter than my cable connection.

I'm new to the AX8. I followed Chris's recommendation, reset system parameters and went in and tried to set instrument pad level. I started by using my Custom Shop Les Paul. I went down to 0 db and barely get one- two lights to shine. Noticed on some of the presets that the level seems to be higher? Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom