AX8 input connection

I am running my guitar into a Line 6 wireless unit then into AX8 input.
The line 6 has 1/4' unbalanced and xlr balanced outs. I would like to use the xlr balanced out.
Question is can I use a XLR to TRS 1/4 inch plug for AX8 input or does the 1/4 inch input plug need to be 1/4 inch TS

Well the only balanced out from the line 6 wireless is XLR and the only input on ax8 is 1/4. So I’m trying to find out if the 1/4” input on ax8 accepts the 1/4 trs as it does on the outputs. I assume it does

I am running my guitar into a Line 6 wireless unit then into AX8 input.
The line 6 has 1/4' unbalanced and xlr balanced outs. I would like to use the xlr balanced out.
Question is can I use a XLR to TRS 1/4 inch plug for AX8 input or does the 1/4 inch input plug need to be 1/4 inch TS
the input is unbalanced. guitar is typically unbalanced. there is no reason to try to go balanced to an unbalanced input.

I have been using the 1/4” out of wireless but it is unbalanced. I want to go with all balanced connections when possible.
Guitar is unbalanced. The input is unbalanced. You should use unbalanced connections for this.

Balanced isn’t “better” than unbalanced. “Un” isn’t a negative prefix.

My wireless plug into guitar has a trs plug so thought it might be good to go that route. I’ve been using a standard guitar cord with no issues. Just thought it might be quieter going with trs. Thanks

My wireless plug into guitar has a trs plug
this sounds incorrect. i don't know of any wireless system that offers TRS for use with instruments. instruments are unbalanced TS outputs usually. it's not like a balanced signal would travel over wireless "better" than an unbalanced signal. and again just to say it, balanced is not always "quieter" than unbalanced, and it's definitely not a "better vs worse option" thing. it's specifically about the input and output jacks of the gear used.

My wireless plug into guitar has a trs...
Like @chris , I’ve never seen a TRS guitar plug on a wireless unit. What model of wireless are you using?

Your guitar’s output jack is unbalanced. There’s nothing to be gained by trying to treat it like a balanced connection.

My AKG WMS 470 wireless system has also two types of outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced 1/4 TS). There are two ways to connect WMS and AX8: 1) unbalanced TS output of WMS -> unbalanced 1/4 TS IN1 of AX8; 2) balanced XLR output of WMS -> balanced 1/4 TRS IN2 of AX8. The second one is a non-standard connection for AX8 and is only possible using the FXL block at the beginning of the signal chain, which may be limiting but allows a balanced connection. This way makes sense to prevent problems with noise and RF interference, especially when the AX8 is far from the WMS (mounted in a rack, located near the amplifier, ...), which leads to the use of long cables (> 5 m).

My AKG WMS 470 wireless system has also two types of outputs (balanced XLR and unbalanced 1/4 TS). There are two ways to connect WMS and AX8: 1) unbalanced TS output of WMS -> unbalanced 1/4 TS IN1 of AX8; 2) balanced XLR output of WMS -> balanced 1/4 TRS IN2 of AX8. The second one is a non-standard connection for AX8 and is only possible using the FXL block at the beginning of the signal chain, which may be limiting but allows a balanced connection. This way makes sense to prevent problems with noise and RF interference, especially when the AX8 is far from the WMS (mounted in a rack, located near the amplifier, ...), which leads to the use of long cables (> 5 m).
Your guitar's output is unbalanced, and it's way noisier that your wireless system will ever be. In other words, there's no advantage to running a balanced connection from your wireless to your AX8.

The output of your wireless system is low-impedance. Five meters is a trivial distance for a low-impedance signal.

Back
Top Bottom