AX8 hum issue

BullfrogJJR

TL; DR- AX8 hums and I can’t figure it out

First forum post

I’ve had my AX8 for a little over a year. Strictly a bedroom player. Over recent months, I’ve had a hum issue develop that I cannot figure out. In this case the guitar itself isn’t an issue so much because the hum is only when a cable is plugged into the instrument input, regardless of whether or not there’s contact on the other end. When I do have a guitar plugged in, all I get is the hum and some slight percussive feedback when I hit the strings. I have tried multiple cables, different rooms and different outlets. It’s making me nuts. I should also mention I run it into an Alto TS312 via XLR, but the issue is there with a 1/4” cable connection as well.

This all started when I had a loose input jack on my guitar. I’m not very experienced with repair, so my dumb ass removed the plate covering it and brought the whole thing out instead of just tightening the nut. I fear I may have loosened something, possibly a ground wire in the guitar. Not sure. In any event, the next time I plugged into the AX8, there’s the hum and it hasn’t gone away. Might I have screwed up something in the guitar that triggered something in the unit? I should mention that Mark from Fractal has been awesome with trying to help btw.

One thing I’ve found is, when I dug out a little 15w monoprice tube amp I have and plugged a cable into that(no guitar), the same thing happens- a very loud hum.

I tried both setups in a different room in the house. The monoprice didn’t have the hum and the AX8/TS312 did, but about half of what is was on the original room.

I’m no electrician by any stretch, but I’m assuming I’m looking at some kind of ground issue? If so, how did it just start happening now? I have flipped the ground loop switch on the back and nothing happened.

Any thoughts and/or questions are welcomed and appreciated. I’m hoping to not have to send it in, but as of right now the thing is useless and my hope is there is something I can reset (already reset the parameters- several times) or something to fix this. Thanks.

It happens with all guitars or do you just have the one?

Did you check the jack to ensure no wires were pulled off or loose from solder?

I just have the one. I did pull it out and it appears that everything is still connected, but I’m not 100% sure I know what I’m looking at. Thing is, the AX8 still has that gnarly hum when I plug a cable into it without a guitar on the other end. When nothing’s plugged in it’s completely silent like it always was.

Going to need another guitar to check.

Any cable that is not connected from one point to another point is going to hum/buzz. You just can't have the cable plugged into the AX8 an expect no noise.

In most cases it's the wiring in the room.
Second reason could be the cables you're using.

Using XLR outs can reduce the noise drastically.

Try it out !!

Back
Top Bottom