AX8: How long before I can have it ready for a gig (tweaking)?

The amp models are super easy to dial in. The harder part is finding the right IR for your cab block. I believe it is not possible to know if it's going to work well until you are playing at full volume AND with the band. I would recommend have several different patches ready to go that are indentical except with different cabs so you have a few options to quickly try. As a quick fix you can use the hi and low cuts in the cab block to tame harshness or boominess

The only challenging thing for me to learn was all the buttons meant. How to step on the right buttons to get to where I wanted, scenes, banks, presets, effects on/bypass, quickly.

I just recently got my AX8 and plan to spend a good several weeks if not months getting comfortable before trying to integrate into band practice. For me the biggest challenge in this is the hardware side, what FRFR to get, if any or do I/should I run 4 cable method or into effects loop on an amp, that kind of thing. So I plan to take my time but so far through my desktop monitors I am loving what I can do with this thing (or rather what this thing can do since really I deserve none of the credit thus far!).

You will find plenty of tones in the factory settings that just make you go wow! There are a lot of presets you can download through the Axe Change site and as for tweaking. I've had mine for a month now and its getting easier. If you use the AxeEdit tool on you pc its much easier than tweaking through the machine itself. The tones this thing can produce will leave you astounded and you definitely would not regret it.
+1 to this for sure. I'm still new to it but found a bunch of the factory presets to be very usable with little to no tweaking. Maybe adjusting the input level a little based on my guitar pickups, but that's about it.

Hi all.

I have no prior experience with modelling except for the original Line 6 POD, which I used to use direct to board during my gigging days. I am now considering an AX8 mainly for use as a basement hobbiest. However, I have just been given the opportunity to fill in with my old band at a gig later this summer, and because it has been years since I have played live with them, I don't really have an up and running / road tested rig (POD is long gone). I have some beautiful amps and some nice pedals, but it would be great to have the versatility of the AX8 to cover all of the bases and to go direct, instead of having to compromise and stick to one amp and its selection of tones. To be specific, I would be choosing between a Friedman Marsha and Morgan Dual 20 to cover tones ranging from Regatta De Blanc to VH1.

My concern is the tweak factor. I don't really have a lot of time on my hands to learn the unit and to prepare all of the patches, and it sounds like the fractal units are very complicated in that respect.

Would experienced users recommend sticking to an amp I know (but have never used live with a band) and compromising on the tones or picking up an AX8 and trying to use that, given that I have very little free time to prepare for this gig?

It may seem silly to put this much effort into a single, unremarkable gig, but it is a real treat for me to play live again with some old friends and it's important to me that I sound good. Thanks for your time.

It's all relative to how much time you have to figure out the AX8. It's not hard to get good tones out of it, but it can take some time to figure out preset to preset levels, to use scenes or set it up where everything is on its own footswitch. I would say at the very minimal you need to have a decent PA powered speaker, laptop, and some presets ready to go for the next couple of rehearsals. If you need help with the presets, you should check out Fremen's preset pack, that should cover a lot of ground.

Got my AX-8 last Friday and there are a lot of usable stock tones. Now that doesn't mean you're going to hit an effect switch (1-8) and like what you're going to hear. Basic amp tones are there. Having had a modeler since POD 2.0 unless the preset is perfect and none usually are because of personal taste I see weeks of tweaking. It's not a reflection on the AX-8 or the people who designed the presets it's just myself, my guitar and my backline that needs to sound correct.

Only because I didn't read it here already, I would make sure you can rehearse with a band first at least twice prior to your show. The tones you create at home are not going to cut through pr sound the same once the band kicks in. Now arm yourself with the very good advice available from the forum users here about methods to boost the mids, and cut the high and low frequencies on the cab, and you will work your way to phenomenal tones. Really its impressive to say the least. I'm probably 4 months into my AX8 and I'm getting the best tones I've every had consistently at home and with the band. But be ready to spend time learning the box, its not plug and play as someone suggested (maybe bedroom plug and play, but not band ready plug and play). Also I would suggest you learn the controls on the box to tweak the major things like scene volume, mids, or the major effects parameters, on the fly so you can adjust at rehearsal. Set-up all the tones you think you'll need at home , learn to tweak the big things on the fly with the box only, and then go to rehearsal ready to make some quick adjustments (and maybe take a few notes, so you can adjust things later at home).

Good luck - once dialed in, the thing is amazing!

The Axe/AX8 always sounds good. What typically "gets" people at their first gigs is applying EQ for the room and PA system they are using. Many PAs hype the Bass and Treble, and what sounded good at home is suddenly very boomy or pingy.

If you know how to adjust EQ from a PA point of view, you'll do great. To help with that, you can create tones on a powered speaker of your own, then take that exact speaker to the gig - it will help you stay consistent. You'll still have to adjust for the PA system at the gig, or at least be able to communicate to the sound guy what you want.

This is just about what I do also ...........only thing I do is tell the sound guys to run the Guitar flat in the mix...cause I've already EQ'd it.........

If it's any help I'm new on the AX8 as well. I'm using DXR 12 in the back row on mini stands. I've bought the FracPad that now has "Performance" mode. I have all songs with their own patch. (some are duplicate, but I've still saved it under the song as well). Some songs have two presets as I'm trying to whittle it down to the one I want or to the one that suits the venue. This makes it very simple to have a set list, and when I need it I have scenes to bring in Drive, Delay etc. In addition I can use the X/Y .
This makes it easy to go from a clean opening arpegio to heavy gain (Doctor Doctor) with a single foot switch on the X/Y.
My issue now is if the band need to use my Yamahas as FOH, whats the cheapest option to have behind me? Another DXR12 or can I get away with a JBL612 or 615 (knowing the bad reviews). Any one with suggestions?

For me... I cover for absent musicians in a cover band, as well as play twice a week on a P&W team. I too have to cover a lot of ground sonically and the Ax8 more than meets my needs.
The tone is all there... personally, I'm just taking the time to learn how to set up and navigate the unit before I release the beast. ;)

The only challenging thing for me to learn was all the buttons meant. How to step on the right buttons to get to where I wanted, scenes, banks, presets, effects on/bypass, quickly.

This is what I'm finding as well with the AX8; it's a bit different then what I've been used to with the MFC but have gotten things working and only occasionally 'misfire'. I was able to dial in tones pretty quick but arranging scenes/presets/FX bypasses took me a few iterations to nail down.

We will see what happens tonight; it's the first gig out with the AX8. I've been using it with tube amps for rehearsals with two different bands lately and I can't wait to use the CLR/IR's with it tonight; soooooo much better tone, feel, and versatility. There is nothing like changing entire rigs with a stomp of the footswitch for my various tones...am pumped!!

All great points and it might have been noted earlier but worth mentioning again.

Dial in your tones at GIG volumes!

It is so important and in my opinion one of the biggest fail points. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom