ax8 home speaker

Omri

Hi there!

I've finally bite the bullet and ordered one..

As I'm trying to reduce the gear I'm transporting to gigs I'm yet to purchase an active speaker to go with the ax 8

I'm looking for a relatively small speaker that I will be able to use at home with the unit and use it for some gigs that in ear monitor is not an option and I'll have to hear my self through this speaker..

The atomic clr looks and sounds great but I find it a bit large for my needs..

I've heard good things about the alto truesonic series but not sure soniclly they have designed with an Amp modular in mind..(I could be wrong..)

Does anybody here use them or can recommend me a good speaker instead?

Thanks!

Tech21 Power Engine. I have been using it for quite a while in my home studio and on-stage when I need it.
Thanks!

And how is the sound quality ?
Have you ever A/B the power engine to more traditional freer out there?

I build my tones based on FOH, so I'm not overly concerned with the PE tone since it's being used as my stage monitor (and only when I'm not using in-ears). That said, any speaker+power amp will add some amount of 'color', so I'd say yes, the PE adds it's color, but I find it very minimal (my opinion). I keep the AX8 power and cab simulations on.

Best thing to do is find someone, or a store, and go try it out. You can also find stores (at least in US) where you can buy, try, and return if you need to. Finally, the price-point is relatively low, so I've found it to be a cost effective solution that has a wide range of use, from home to stage.

Here's a demo of the Alto TS210 with a Line 6 Helix (not me in the vid).

I recently bought one. They are affordable, loud and very portable. I haven't tried a CLR but it sounds better than the QSC and EV wedges I've tried and is reasonably close to what I hear out of my studio monitors. I still prefer hearing a real cab though.

I recently bought one. They are affordable, loud and very portable. I haven't tried a CLR but it sounds better than the QSC and EV wedges I've tried and is reasonably close to what I hear out of my studio monitors. I still prefer hearing a real cab though.

If they could just make something like this in a Coaxial version that actually looks and sounds good... they would sell a lot of them.

Thanks!!

It sounds nod bad...

Are you happy with the tones coming out of the alto comparing to FOH ?

I know the alto can function as a PA...

THANKS!

Thanks!!

It sounds nod bad...

Are you happy with the tones coming out of the alto comparing to FOH ?

I know the alto can function as a PA...

THANKS!

I just play (rather loudly) at home. I enjoy running backing tracks through the Altos while I play. I'm happy with them for this purpose. I have a friend who uses a TS110 live with a Helix and he really likes it. The QSC and EV that I tried had noticeably hyped lows or harsh highs, to me the Alto sounds better. I'd like to try a CLR but can't really justify spending more than twice what a pair of the Altos cost.

If they could just make something like this in a Coaxial version that actually looks and sounds good... they would sell a lot of them.
It's not a factor that I feel matters much in a wedge but I personally think the Alto looks much better than the CLR. I have no doubt that the CLR sounds better. What exactly is the big advantage of being coaxial? I don't really notice the crossover or that highs and lows aren't coming from the exact same location.

It's not a factor that I feel matters much in a wedge but I personally think the Alto looks much better than the CLR. I have no doubt that the CLR sounds better. What exactly is the big advantage of being coaxial? I don't really notice the crossover or that highs and lows aren't coming from the exact same location.

You'll get a wider dispersion with the coaxial version... which may or may not be what you are after in a monitor... (Good for back line but not necessarily good for keeping your monitor mix away from band mates... a vertically oriented horn is better in that respect.)

But a coaxial speaker sounds more like we are used to hearing a traditional guitar speaker. and can be made quite compact too.

You'll get a wider dispersion with the coaxial version... which may or may not be what you are after in a monitor... (Good for back line but not necessarily good for keeping your monitor mix away from band mates... a vertically oriented horn is better in that respect.)

But a coaxial speaker sounds more like we are used to hearing a traditional guitar speaker. and can be made quite compact too.
Maybe I should try a CLR then. My gripe with the few FRFR speakers I've tried is they just don't "feel" right. I don't expect them to sound exactly like a traditional cab but something always seems to be missing.

Maybe I should try a CLR then. My gripe with the few FRFR speakers I've tried is they just don't "feel" right. I don't expect them to sound exactly like a traditional cab but something always seems to be missing.

Hell... I'm an enabler... so if it's in the budget. :D

A small full range is a good choice—there are a lot of options amongst the usual contenders—but a small guitar speaker and power amp are also popular. I think we'll see even more small guitar modeling amplification solutions in the future.

I did not have that problem when using a CLR. Just an FYI you might give Mick at Xitone a shout, he can build you what you want 8"-12" and a lot of people that use them say that it sounds more like a guitar cab than an FR speaker.

I have personally played through a CLR and did not have any issues with "feel" persey. I also pited it with a low budget Seismic Audio SAX 12 which sounded pretty good for the price but still a bit on the heavy side and it did have some issues when I first received it which were promptly taken care of by Seismic at no additional cost to me.

I have played through the Alto TS112 and it sounds good but the CLR by far sounds a lot better as it should for the money involved. I also personally like a Coaxial speaker better for the above mentioned reasons plus you get a monitor that has a smaller footprint along with no phasing problems when monitoring up close which can be an issue with a typical two way design.

I did not have that problem when using a CLR. Just an FYI you might give Mick at Xitone a shout, he can build you what you want 8"-12" and a lot of people that use them say that it sounds more like a guitar cab than an FR speaker.

I have personally played through a CLR and did not have any issues with "feel" persey. I also pited it with a low budget Seismic Audio SAX 12 which sounded pretty good for the price but still a bit on the heavy side and it did have some issues when I first received it which were promptly taken care of by Seismic at no additional cost to me.

I have played through the Alto TS112 and it sounds good but the CLR by far sounds a lot better as it should for the money involved. I also personally like a Coaxial speaker better for the above mentioned reasons plus you get a monitor that has a smaller footprint along with no phasing problems when monitoring up close which can be an issue with a typical two way design.
Thanks for making my life harder;) as I am trying to reduce the footprint of my rig and Cary less as possible and be dependent on FOH and in ears..however there are times that I need to have some sort of monitor/amp on stage..and use it at home to program and practice..I'm sure the clr are amazing for that but as I try to reduce gear I thought the alto is a great option..but if there is so much difrrence between them as you say I might need to rethink ....

Back
Top Bottom