AX8 home setup: hardware that allows me to re-purpose my monitors for another source?

Pott

Hi all; I'm getting my AX8 soon and already have a number of pairs of monitors I could use with it (since it's what I have all my sound-systems going through in the house): JBL305s, Adam A3Xs, and Rokit 3 G5s (no sniggering at the back please; I can't get rid of these fast-enough!).

Currently the plan is to use the JBLs, but those are already connected to my Echo dot and form the backbone of my main/non-critical listening system.

I'd love to be able to do this:
* AX8 + Echo connected to mystery box
* Mystery box connected to headphones (through amp or headphone out) and Speakers
* Respect for balanced outputs (I live under huge antennas :( )

Unfortunately I don't know what such a piece of hardware would be! Mixer, Receiver, whatever; I just don't know much about this side of the hardware.
Ideally I could just change the input from a remote or front button, and go from listening to music through the Echo to using my AX8. The entire signal path would be balanced (since that's how I'd wire the AX8 to the JBLs anyway).

Note: another option may be to go from SPDIF to DAC to headphone amp + speakers, but that just strikes me as convoluted in the grand scheme of things.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Alright that word's pretty new to me so I did some research: sounds like what they allow you to do out of the box is mix input signals to a single output. Perfect. Hence any cheapo Mixer which would enable me to either switch-out or control the volume of any of my sources. Sounds perfect for practice actually which wasn't even something I had considered, but which greatly helps since I then don't need 2 x sets of speakers!

I'm looking at the Mackie 402VLZ4 which seems like it'd do the trick:
* Guitar to AX8
* AX8 to Line In 3/4 (stereo)
* Echo to Tape In
* Headphones to headphones (duh)
Which means I can then always keep the Echo on, as it is now, to the speakers, but also use it when playing through the AX8.

... I think.
Thanks!

Before I got monitors with dual inputs, I used a cheap little Behringer for that purpose. Cost like $50 I think and easily let me have my fractal and my computer sound card both playing through the same monitors. Especially nice since I can have backing music playing from the Pc and play over it with the fractal and easily adjust the levels

If I use both inputs on my monitors the noise increases too much.
The Mackie ended-up working perfectly for me.

If I want to use PC + Axe FX, I'll just connect the PC to the Tape In instead of the Echo with unbalanced RCA cables.

Back
Top Bottom