AX8 -> Headphones VS AX8 -> Interface -> Headphones

JeremiahEdward

Inspired
Simply put.. is there a difference between plugging headphones directly into the AX8 using a Y-Cable vs plugging the AX8 into something like a Focusrite Scarlet interface and plugging headphones into that? Sound quality wise I mean.

Thinking of taking advantage of this B-Stock sale and wasn't sure if there would be any advantage to buying an interface as well.

Thanks!

(and sorry if this is a dumb/duplicate question. I searched and didn't find this specific answer).

The (not so) short answer is that an interface has a dedicated line input and a dedicated headphone output. So the impedances are well matched.

If you run a Y- cable, the impedance matching is not perfect, so you may only hear a small signal in the headphones, and the frequency spectrum might be slightly skewed.

Some people are perfectly happy with a Y-cable. Some prefer to use an interface.

The (not so) short answer is that an interface has a dedicated line input and a dedicated headphone output. So the impedances are well matched.

If you run a Y- cable, the impedance matching is not perfect, so you may only hear a small signal in the headphones, and the frequency spectrum might be slightly skewed.

Some people are perfectly happy with a Y-cable. Some prefer to use an interface.

Excellent answer, thank you. Since 99% of my playing will be in my apartment with headphones, I will want the best sound possible. So I will definitely pick up an interface.

Is the Focusrite Scarlet still a decent inexpensive interface or are there better ones for this purpose? I have been playing live through a tube amp with an FX8 and other various effects so modelers and headphones and interfaces are fairly new to me.

my advice get a headphones amp,i dont really like the sound when a connect the ax8 via spdif to my 6i6,i recommend you this little device and cheap,m-audio bass traveler.

Yes to me there was an obvious and huge difference. Far superior headphone audio when i plugged into a Steinberg UR12 audio interface with the XLR input and using the UR12s built in headphones output. Im only using sony in ear headphones that came with my phone... With a good pair of sennheisers i can't even imagine how amazing it must sound.

Excellent answer, thank you. Since 99% of my playing will be in my apartment with headphones, I will want the best sound possible. So I will definitely pick up an interface.

Do you need an interface for any other reason other than headphones (ie are you going to record)? If not, get a decent high end headphone amp. A very good one will have better DAC's than the AX8 and SPDIF input. I have a Grace Design M903 headphone amp and UAD Apollo Twin Mark II interface. Both are excellent but the Grace Design is better, no matter which cans I use (I'm a headphone junkie).

99% means it's worth the investment, it will make a big difference to your enjoyment. I recommend spending some time on the https://www.head-fi.org/forums/ and https://forum.headphone.com/ forums, buy used at audiogon.com

What would folks suggest for playing along with you tube videos for learning covers via a laptop and the AX8 output - I have a Y cable into a headphone amp. but it reduces volume way too much. Would a small mixer be a better solution or ??
Appreciate any advice - Thanks

What would folks suggest for playing along with you tube videos for learning covers via a laptop and the AX8 output - I have a Y cable into a headphone amp. but it reduces volume way too much. Would a small mixer be a better solution or ??
Appreciate any advice - Thanks
Yeah, a small mixer like the Mackie 402-VLZ4, which is what I use(I have the older VLZ3), would be great for plugging your laptop in and the ax8 at the same time. It has a headphone output that the ax8 sounds awesome through.

The Focusrite is great. Use the 1/ outputs vs spidif. Behinger Ma400 is great too. 1/4 inch outs to a y cable to the behringer to Ma400 with headphones works good too.

If you are looking for a very high quality $99 headphone amp check out the Schitt Audio (exactly like how you think it sounds) Magni 3.

Google Schitt Audio, I can’t post links yet due to being a new forum member.

It’s a fantastic amp for the money and will drive what ever headphones you want.

I use a Sennheiser HD25 70Ohm direct to a TRS to TS(left) / TS(right) adapter!
Not for a really loud environment, but In my living room it sounds full and wide for practicing.

I have a Zoom H5 and I plug the AX8 to it and use the headphone monitor out.

The benefit of this setup is that if I want to record my playing, I don’t need a computer, I just hit “record”. Very handy!

One other cheap and very versatile option is to buy a small 4 channel mixer. The benefit is that you can add your phone to play backing tracks.

Back
Top Bottom