AX8 Green screen freeze on startup

Hi! I tested my new AX8 yesterday and after importing few downloaded presets and enjoying the sounds I restarted the thing. Then it didn't start correctly with the flashing lights but only showed green frozen screen. I tried to restart by taking the power cable off for a few seconds and few times it showed the green screen but then eventually booted correctly. Then I played some more and moved to another location, where the same thing happened again; green screen few times before proper startup.

I read about recall boot but that applies to Axe FXII, as this doesn't seem to have similar recall button? Then I read about bad presets, so I could try to remove all the downloaded ones and then put them back one by one and see if one is to blame. Could you guide what I should do and what might be the problem? If it is about bad presets, then is it possible to recognize them somehow (characteristics)?

Thank you in advance! Fractal could have a bit more comprehensive troubleshooting page somewhere (other than the FAQ in the wiki).

Being in your shoes, at first movement, I would remove ALL the presets you downloaded into the AX8 and play for some time. If everything goes fine, you know it is not the unit.

Being in your shoes, at first movement, I would remove ALL the presets you downloaded into the AX8 and play for some time. If everything goes fine, you know it is not the unit.
Good idea. Do you know what constitutes as a bad preset? Meaning if I just copy the parameters manually and not by importing is that okay then? So basically are bad presets bad because of importing process or their actual settings used..

Hi! I tested my new AX8 yesterday and after importing few downloaded presets and enjoying the sounds I restarted the thing. Then it didn't start correctly with the flashing lights but only showed green frozen screen. I tried to restart by taking the power cable off for a few seconds and few times it showed the green screen but then eventually booted correctly. Then I played some more and moved to another location, where the same thing happened again; green screen few times before proper startup.

I read about recall boot but that applies to Axe FXII, as this doesn't seem to have similar recall button? Then I read about bad presets, so I could try to remove all the downloaded ones and then put them back one by one and see if one is to blame. Could you guide what I should do and what might be the problem? If it is about bad presets, then is it possible to recognize them somehow (characteristics)?

Thank you in advance! Fractal could have a bit more comprehensive troubleshooting page somewhere (other than the FAQ in the wiki).

Hi - did you get anywhere with support with this? Still an issue? I have seen this a couple of times with my AX8 once with FW 10 then once again with FW 10.1. Doubt its a preset (had same in another AX8 but on FW 9) so is there a known issue here? A restart fixed it on both occasions. It is connected to usb and 5 pin MIDI.

I got instructions to erase all presets and reset the system and install everything again, but as my problems magically stopped appearing I didn’t want to reset the whole system. Sorry for not being able to tell experiences from these steps.. I had usb connected few times but had the issue without usb as well

I got instructions to erase all presets and reset the system and install everything again, but as my problems magically stopped appearing I didn’t want to reset the whole system. Sorry for not being able to tell experiences from these steps.. I had usb connected few times but had the issue without usb as well
Thanks for the reply. This has only happened 2 or 3 times and despite having power cycled maybe 100 + times since new so its possibly insignificant. I will see how it goes.

{SOLVED} !
I was struggling to replicate this issue with my unit but after a bit of reconfig of how I have my (5 pin) MIDI wired I was getting it consistently.
BUT only when I wasn't using the power switch - i.e remotely powering up a power strip and instead leaving the power rocker in a permanent ON position.
AND (and this is the significant bit...)
with 5 pin MIDI In connected.
Yep, that sounds a little weird?! Well its 100% reproducible .

So..... If I remove MIDI In and still use the same power up from a power strip (rocker on AX8 = On) then absolutely no problem - ever.

MIDI Out connected has no affect.
I have power cycled maybe 20 times and the behaviour is entirely consistent so something is at issue in this config. I do have a good deal going on presenting to MIDI In on the AX8 - an FC300 merged with a clock from a drum machine and a RC-300 Looper also so maybe there is something going on there?

I could start to speculate what is going on here but would rather prefer an informed answer (if possible!)

Thing is I know a few others have had this and although maybe not exactly the same it may well be worth trying to remove MIDI In and seeing whether the problem goes away like mine has.
HTH

I have this issue still and I have not use Midi port once. Now new issues has risen as the unit freezes suddenly after some minutes of use and after restart it works few minutes again. I have reseted the unit after removing all the presets and downloaded only the factory ones and tested after - same thing. Freezes after a while and then after restart freezes suddenly even quicker. Hopefully the dealer comes up with an easy so that I would not have to change the entire unit :(

Not good - sorry to hear that. That's a rather different set of symptoms but with an empty green screen in common.

My guess for the issue I see is that if I power the AX8 with loads of other kit, including MIDI merger, FC300 etc the AX8 receives a whole lot of MIDI data that halts boot. But that's a guess.

Mine did a freeze up last night at my gig. I didn’t finish the start up sequence and froze on the AX8 green screen with the 2 main out clip lights lit up. I turned it off and restarted and went back to normal. My $600 dollar Boss never did this.

Back
Top Bottom