AX8 Gig Advice?

LerxstFan

Inspired
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread about scenes vs. presets for a switch layout. I'm going with presets and adding effects as needed for those songs. There are so many more switch options to choose for layout with the AX8.

If anyone has any advice or tips they're willing to share to be gig ready with my AX8, I'd be grateful.

This is what I've done so far:

I left the factory settings for the Global I/O functions, except I changed the Out 1 Main Mode to L + R Sum and did the same for all presets input select for the cabs: Sum L + R - since I'm running one XLR main out to FOH and one to my EV cab for monitoring.

I'll run the Main Out 1 level at around 2 o'clock which seems to be more than enough signal for the board and still sounds full and quiet. I still can't get over how amazing the dynamics are with just about every amp model when rolling the volume on the guitar back or easing up on my pick attack.

I used the level meter to balance the presets as close as possible. Some of the presets are low, like -19db, but if I change the input or master level on the amp, I don't like how it changes the tone.

I'm not using an X/Y switching for the gig, so there is nothing to mix up on each switch.

Question about Global EQ - Does anyone use it live and do you have any recommended settings? I usually find that depending on the PA, my sounds are bright and need to have the high end shaved off a bit. For the first time with the AX8 I can actually do something about it!

Thanks \m/

About the Global EQ - save that for venue-specific settings. i.e. if you build a preset with good reference monitors, make it sound right while the Global EQ is flat. Then, as you go from venue to venue, and you discover differences b/c of room dynamics, carpet, etc, adjust for that using the Global EQ. That makes it so you only have one thing to adjust - instead of tweaking each preset.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread about scenes vs. presets for a switch layout. I'm going with presets and adding effects as needed for those songs. There are so many more switch options to choose for layout with the AX8.

If anyone has any advice or tips they're willing to share to be gig ready with my AX8, I'd be grateful.

This is what I've done so far:

I left the factory settings for the Global I/O functions, except I changed the Out 1 Main Mode to L + R Sum and did the same for all presets input select for the cabs: Sum L + R - since I'm running one XLR main out to FOH and one to my EV cab for monitoring.

I'll run the Main Out 1 level at around 2 o'clock which seems to be more than enough signal for the board and still sounds full and quiet. I still can't get over how amazing the dynamics are with just about every amp model when rolling the volume on the guitar back or easing up on my pick attack.

I used the level meter to balance the presets as close as possible. Some of the presets are low, like -19db, but if I change the input or master level on the amp, I don't like how it changes the tone.

I'm not using an X/Y switching for the gig, so there is nothing to mix up on each switch.

Question about Global EQ - Does anyone use it live and do you have any recommended settings? I usually find that depending on the PA, my sounds are bright and need to have the high end shaved off a bit. For the first time with the AX8 I can actually do something about it!

Thanks \m/
If you need it louder, increase the Level (Far right when adjusting amp block or use the Level knob on the AX8) This will not change your tone, save for issues like fletcher-munson. Also, you probably know this, but set your presets at gig volume, 92 db or so using your PA and/or EV Cab. If you set them at bedroom volume, you'll have a lot of tweaking to do at soundcheck.

I'll tell you what I do.....
I mark the 4 switches on the bottom A,B,C,D. And mark my effects on the top row with labels.I use the same effects for every preset. I used a label maker.
Normally I have the same setup with every preset just different with different tone. But "D" is that special set up I may need for a certain song.
Like so......
A-Rythem
B-Lead
C-Clean
D-(spacial) Tremelo
5-pitch
6-chorus
7-boost
8-drive

This way I mark my songs on the setlist as follows.

Walk this way 1A
Creep 2D
Vertigo 3A
Etc etc

Hope this makes sense.... makes sense to me. I think things would have been easier if Fractal incorporated some letters. Get confusing Bank 5 Preset 3 scene 5.

Cheers.

That's a good system - clear and easy to manage. I went with the four presets on the bottom four switches and add effects on switches 5-8. I don't need a lot of effects, but am loving how good the chorus and delay effects sound!

The VU meter is helpful, but level your presets at gig volume. That's the hardest part of using Fractal for me. There is big tonal difference at gig volume as well as relative volume differences between clean and dirty presets when you are louder.

If you are only using 4 basic presets, that's smart, too. The temptation is to use lots of presets, but that just makes it harder to keep relative volume level.

The AX8 sounds great. Many times I've had musicians in the audience compliment the tone and ask me where I have my mic'd amp hidden (I play through a CLR). You should get some good sounds out of it for your gig.

If not already, learn how to do some basic editing from the front panel. Things like solo boosts or even scene levels may respond different once you are in the middle of a gig. The VU meters are a great starting point for getting close but you may find that once everyone is playing for real that you need to adjust those levels a bit.

Thank god I only use one preset per gig. Sounds like it's a bitch to get the levels right.

Tbh I don't get why people bother with the presets, but that's none of my business.

The VU meter is helpful, but level your presets at gig volume. That's the hardest part of using Fractal for me. There is big tonal difference at gig volume as well as relative volume differences between clean and dirty presets when you are louder.

If you are only using 4 basic presets, that's smart, too. The temptation is to use lots of presets, but that just makes it harder to keep relative volume level.

The AX8 sounds great. Many times I've had musicians in the audience compliment the tone and ask me where I have my mic'd amp hidden (I play through a CLR). You should get some good sounds out of it for your gig.
I went through and 'leveled' my presets using the VU meter tonight, and was not running quite at gig volume only around 80 db. I got the Db app that Austin Buddy used in one of his videos and that helped me get a ballpark. I'm sure things will get louder on stage and I'll be turning up my Out 2 volume to my monitor - something I couldn't do with my Eleven Rack, so that's a big improvement.

When I say four presets, I'm talking about 4 per bank. I have about 25 different presets for different flavors of clean, dirty, lead, and special effects. I'm in an all 80's cover band, and play A-ha to Madonna and Motley Crue to The Vapors, and I try to get tones close to the record. Does anyone at the gigs notice or care? Not really. Just the handful of guitar players who see us : ) I love what I'm hearing and the best part is I haven't even gone down the rabbit hole too much to tweak, and know things will only get better the more I learn.

Looking forward to my first AX8 gig tomorrow night!

Thanks for all the tips and advice - much appreciated and helpful!

All, I have a gig Sunday where there will a house PA and sound crew. I would like to go direct to FOH in stereo from Out 1 and use Out 2 to go in stereo to a FRFR amp/cab on stage so I have the ability to control the level of the amp/cab without changing my level going to FOH. I believe there was a video and thread about this But I can’t seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

All, I have a gig Sunday where there will a house PA and sound crew. I would like to go direct to FOH in stereo from Out 1 and use Out 2 to go in stereo to a FRFR amp/cab on stage so I have the ability to control the level of the amp/cab without changing my level going to FOH. I believe there was a video and thread about this But I can’t seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
All you need to do is set a FX loop block to the point in signal flow where you want to have the Out 2. In this scenario probably all the way to the right, after the amp, cab and all the fx.

Is the FRFR stand-alone powered cab? If FRFR powered cab use Output 1 for FOH and set Output 2 to echo 1. No need for FX Loop. See page 13 of owner manual. Set volumes for each output accordingly.

If actual amp/cab, see page 17.

All you need to do is set a FX loop block to the point in signal flow where you want to have the Out 2. In this scenario probably all the way to the right, after the amp, cab and all the fx.
Thanks. I
Is the FRFR stand-alone powered cab? If FRFR powered cab use Output 1 for FOH and set Output 2 to echo 1. No need for FX Loop. See page 13 of owner manual. Set volumes for each output accordingly.

If actual amp/cab, see page 17.
Yes. My amp/cab is a Mission Gemini II. Awesome. Thanks.

I gig with one preset. Usually the Bogner Blue or the AC20 T to a OH greenback cab, GNR M25.

I use a phaser, boost, chorus and two delays, stereo tape set for an ambient slap and a nice thick full one for solos and messing around.

Roll back the guitar volume for cleans, HSS strat helps there too. Singles clean up real nice.

This setup covers four sets of material. I guess I don't feel the need to tone match the covers we play, I just try to get the most pleasing tone possible and focus on actually hitting the correct notes.

I gig with one preset. Usually the Bogner Blue or the AC20 T to a OH greenback cab, GNR M25.

I use a phaser, boost, chorus and two delays, stereo tape set for an ambient slap and a nice thick full one for solos and messing around.

Roll back the guitar volume for cleans, HSS strat helps there too. Singles clean up real nice.

This setup covers four sets of material. I guess I don't feel the need to tone match the covers we play, I just try to get the most pleasing tone possible and focus on actually hitting the correct notes.
I haven't been able to do that because of our material but I'm definitely envious of players that can pull it off. Makes life much easier.

Thanks all. Very helpful. My only issue (not really an issue) is that the Gemini II only has one input jack for stereo so I have to use a Y cable to plug 2 XLR cables coming from the Out 1 XLR jacks of the Ax 8 which Y into one 1/4 inch plug that plugs into the Gemini. So, I have to use two 1/4 inch cables from Out 2 to FOH. I guess it's no problem since the signal coming out of Out 2 is mirroring what is coming out of Out 1. Anyone else had to deal with this?

Back
Top Bottom