AX8 FW 10.01 .... is there an up-to-date CPU block useage chart anywhere ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all !

Been offered an AX8 from a colleague at a very fair price and was trying to work our if it had enough CPU juice to run my type of presets ...... so is there an up-to-date FW 10.01 CPU block useage chart around ?

Thanks,
Ben

those are estimations at best. do you have a preset file or screen shot from another unit that someone could try to make fit on an AX8?

Dude, do you do search? :)

Seriously, someone posted a link to a chart pretty recently. If you search "CPU" in this forum you'll find it. I'm too lazy to post a link because I'm on my iPhone.

You'd be be served to learn the simple tricks to reduce CPU usage as well like reducing IR quality, reverb density, economy mode in pitch shifting, etc.

The following is as complex as I get in a patch

- Input Block - Intelligent Noise Gate engaged
- 1 x Looper
- 1 x Ext Pedal controlling 1 x Pitch Block - Classic Whammy down 1 Octave
- 1 x Drive Block - King Of Tone -or- Timmy Drive no XY needed
- 1 x Amp only no XY needed
- 1 x Cab but running 2 IR's no XY needed
- 1 x Chorus no XY needed
- 1 x Delay no XY needed
- 1 x Reverb no XY needed
- 1 x Filter Block no XY needed
- Output Block

Can such a path be "done" in an AX8 (?)

Ben

PS:- Does the AX8 10.01 have "Speaker Compression" and "Speaker Compliance" in the Amp Block as yet (?)

Last edited:
Search for the CPU usage chart thread I told you about. Get the percentages and do the math. It's easy and very close to what it will be in the AX-8.

The drives you listed aren't in the AX-8. Go to the Axe FX wiki and you will find everything the AX-8 has and doesn't have including the parameters.

The following is as complex as I get in a patch

- Input Block - Intelligent Noise Gate engaged
- 1 x Looper
- 1 x Ext Pedal controlling 1 x Pitch Block - Classic Whammy down 1 Octave
- 1 x Drive Block - King Of Tone -or- Timmy Drive no XY needed
- 1 x Amp only no XY needed
- 1 x Cab but running 2 IR's no XY needed
- 1 x Chorus no XY needed
- 1 x Delay no XY needed
- 1 x Reverb no XY needed
- 1 x Filter Block no XY needed
- Output Block

Can such a path be "done" in an AX8 (?)

Ben

PS:- Does the AX8 10.01 have "Speaker Compression" and "Speaker Compliance" in the Amp Block as yet (?)
I think a patch like that should run on the ax8, I'll check as I get home.

Anyway there's no king of tone and no speaker compliance in the ax8 at the moment, and the pitch block doesn't work as good as on the axe fx III.

I think a patch like that should run on the ax8, I'll check as I get home.

Anyway there's no king of tone and no speaker compliance in the ax8 at the moment, and the pitch block doesn't work as good as on the axe fx III.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate you trying this for me.

Look forward to hearing how it goes :)

Thanks again,
Ben

Here you go:
AX8 Patch example.JPG

This patch has everything set at the highest quality and 2 ultrares IRs.
If I set reverb quality to normal it goes down to 79%, if I lower density to 2 it goes to 73%, and you could still reduce cpu usage by selecting non-ultrares cabs, classic gate, different reverb models and so on.
It seems plenty of power for your needs ;)

You can also set the Pitch block to economy mode to save a little.

FWIW, the difference between high and normal quality is negligible to my ears. Heck, I run blocks at the lower quality settings.

Here you go:
View attachment 54032

This patch has everything set at the highest quality and 2 ultrares IRs.
If I set reverb quality to normal it goes down to 79%, if I lower density to 2 it goes to 73%, and you could still reduce cpu usage by selecting non-ultrares cabs, classic gate, different reverb models and so on.
It seems plenty of power for your needs ;)

Thanks heaps DLC86 - thats awesome to know !!! :)

Im curious now => does the AX8 run "glitch-free" at ~ %86 load ? or does it only get "flaky" at >%90 load ?

Ben

Last edited:
Thanks heaps DLC86 - thats awesome to know !!! :)

Im curious now => does the AX8 run "glitch-free" at ~ %86 load ? or does it only get "flaky" at >%90 load ?

Ben
For the most part it's glitch-free at 86% but it depends on the patch and with one exception: the pitch block.
As I said earlier it doesn't track the notes as good as the axe fx and the more cpu is used the worse it gets. It works acceptably (for me) only under 70% cpu.

When the load gets too high, the Reverb block is disabled. Can't say for certain what the magic number is for this to occur but it's in the 90 range. Don't believe there's a way to select which effect is disabled. IME, it's better to reduce quality on effects than risk having reverb suddenly turned off if it's a prominent effect.

Thanks for all the great info - still waiting to hear back from my colleague re: his AX8 but in the [hopeful] meantime, last question if I may - regarding the FSW's is the following configuration possible:-

=> FSW 5, 6 and 7 each have a preset assigned to them
=> FSW 1, 2 and 3 each select a Scene for the selected Preset
=> FSW 4 and 8 each select an EFX on/off ie: say Drive and Delay

Thx,
Ben

Thanks for all the great info - still waiting to hear back from my colleague re: his AX8 but in the [hopeful] meantime, last question if I may - regarding the FSW's is the following configuration possible:-

=> FSW 5, 6 and 7 each have a preset assigned to them
=> FSW 1, 2 and 3 each select a Scene for the selected Preset
=> FSW 4 and 8 each select an EFX on/off ie: say Drive and Delay

Thx,
Ben
As far as I know, it is possible, but only within an equal bank.

Back
Top Bottom