AX8 - Forget it, I went another route

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Thought long and hard about what I'm really trying to accomplish with buying an AX8:

1. Axe-Fx quality tones and effects at home since my II is physically elsewhere semi-permanently for live play.
2. No need for live playing features. I don't need to switch patches on the fly.
3. High quality recording solution with recording interface capability.
4. Backup for my II in case, lord forbid, that ever goes down.

I don't need a grab and go rig. I have a couple of real amps and an FX8. I have a Helix and a spare CLR.

So instead of waiting for a wait list, and then waiting for eventual delivery of an AX8...

I just bought an Axe-Fx II XL+. In stock. No waiting. Problem solved. :D

Edit: just got shipping notice now. Yes! :D

Last edited:
Interesting since it was not in stock yesterday when someone posted a screen shot showing an email address to get on the list for one.

Score!

I think they just caught up on stock after the Amp Show. Probably had a batch near completion and face it...probably a lot of people holding out for the AX8 wait list so not many waiting for the XL+.

That's cool, it's the price that has me holding out for the ax8. Not to mention the XL will need an mfc, and a rack case.

That's cool, it's the price that has me holding out for the ax8. Not to mention the XL will need an mfc, and a rack case.

Already have an MFC and the Helix. Plenty of control options here. Price, I understand. The AX8 looks pretty darn convenient but I just don't need that convenience. Picked up a 2U wooden desktop rack and it will live mostly permanently at home for recording and practice.

Thought long and hard about what I'm really trying to accomplish with buying an AX8:

1. Axe-Fx quality tones and effects at home since my II is physically elsewhere semi-permanently for live play.
2. No need for live playing features. I don't need to switch patches on the fly.
3. High quality recording solution with recording interface capability.
4. Backup for my II in case, lord forbid, that ever goes down.

I don't need a grab and go rig. I have a couple of real amps and an FX8. I have a Helix and a spare CLR.

So instead of waiting for a wait list, and then waiting for eventual delivery of an AX8...

I just bought an Axe-Fx II XL+. In stock. No waiting. Problem solved. :D

Edit: just got shipping notice now. Yes! :D

Mmmm i dont think you needed to justify anything to us about purchasing another Axe FX II

:lol

I just joined the AX8 waitlist. For me, it will be the PERFECT piece of gear for all gigs. I'd love to be able to dedicate my II to my home studio rack, but might need to use it to recoup funds... I'm hoping I can hold onto both.
I just sold my Helix... after a LOT of comparison there just was nothing that kept me keeping it, especially with the AX8 on the horizon.

I just joined the AX8 waitlist. For me, it will be the PERFECT piece of gear for all gigs. I'd love to be able to dedicate my II to my home studio rack, but might need to use it to recoup funds... I'm hoping I can hold onto both.
I just sold my Helix... after a LOT of comparison there just was nothing that kept me keeping it, especially with the AX8 on the horizon.

How were the effects in the Helix?

I bought an XL+ about five weeks ago for the mancave/studio an I just got on the waitlist for the AX8 :). The trusty II is in a rack bag I carry back and forth to gig with. I'm trying to justify keeping it, but there won't be a need when the AX8 arrives.

As I stated in a thread on TGP I'm not an FX junky but I appreciate quality over quantity... the AxeFX has both LOL. Seriously, IMHO no comparison on the quality and depth of the FX. The drives in the II blow me away, in fact if it only came with a clean amp and all of the drive models I'd be OK ;)
Verbs, Delays, Chorus, etc... everything is super lush in the II.
Now that the Helix is gone I don't regret or miss it at all... I mean, I usually have a "what if" moment after selling stuff but in a head to head with the II there is no comparison on any front IMHO. And I'm the one who posted those reamps on TGP.
Look, the Helix is a very good piece of gear and for many people it has a ton of options that they absolutely need - full blown pedalboard, tons of I/O, particle verb, the UI. But honestly, I didn't find the UI that "sexy" at all. In fact, I thought it looked a little sophomoric and I didn't find it easy to get around at all compared to the II. The editor is half built, AxeEDIT is farking perfect. So, a lot of the Helix is lost on me because I have a LOT of experience with the II. It just fits my workflow better and the AX8 is a reasonable size / weight as well. the Helix is huge, heavy and bulky FOR ME... but again, some guys will be replacing huge pedalboards so it's a win for them.

Fan-freakin-tastic. With very little tweaking needed. To say that the Axe-Fx blows it away or there is no comparison is just hyperbole. The new HX effects are very, very good. Tape and analog delays sound like they should when loading up a block with zero tweaking needed. Great reverbs. Great new drive models. A Klon, for goodness sake. In the Axe-Fx, while the results are definitely great, it takes some work.

Of course, you should note my affiliation below. As if that really means anything given how many Fractal products I now own.

Back
Top Bottom