AX8 for Visually Impaired User?

RGVC

Hi,

I’m thinking of getting the AX8. However, I have limited vision, and the screen looks pretty small, and it’s not clear how much contrast it has. I should be able to see the big type on the screen, but maybe not the smaller stuff.

So, two questions:

1. Is the AX8 usable w/o a lot of screen use if one relies mostly on presets? Are the presets good? I’m NOT a tweaker, and am mostly interested in clean sounds and effects.

2. If I do need or wish to tweak, can this be done entirely on an iMac, or is screen use still necessary?

Thanks for any advice!

You should be able to do almost all editing from your computer.

I think only global/system settings are not available in AX8-Edit.

As far as presets, that is highly user dependant... For me, I was not a fan. But lots of people are.

You can do all the editing on the computer except some global functions. I agree with Unix-guy, the stock presets are not that great. That's because the company keeps improving the firmware so what's in there now is based on the way things worked a few generations back. I am sure they will update sometime, but they rightly are more focused on product improvement.

The AX8 is great (I also own the II) and you will love it. In your case, I would also buy Austin Buddys 700 amp pack of presets. Those are terrific and tuned to the latest firmware (ver 10). You should find they are plug and play.

This has been a point of discussion since the beginning. You will find folks in both camps. There is no right or wrong opinion, it's personal preference. The presets are fine for many folks. Some folks, not so much. AS stated above.
I am one of those who like the presets.
Many of my presets are tweaked factory presets.
You will be very happy I believe. Also, I am in a home studio and I use the computer (Ax8 edit) for all my preset stuff.

Thanks for all the replies!

Are the global settings mostly things you set and forget? What about setting levels, do I need the screen for that?

I'm in a bind. Since posting this, I've been looking at AX8 vs. Helix YouTube videos. The AX8 seems to sound better to my ears, generally speaking. But from what I can see in those videos, the AX8 screen will be mostly useless to me (the contrast is too low), whereas the Helix screen might work somewhat because it has a dark background and better contrast.

Thanks for all the replies!

Are the global settings mostly things you set and forget? What about setting levels, do I need the screen for that?

I'm in a bind. Since posting this, I've been looking at AX8 vs. Helix YouTube videos. The AX8 seems to sound better to my ears, generally speaking. But from what I can see in those videos, the AX8 screen will be mostly useless to me (the contrast is too low), whereas the Helix screen might work somewhat because it has a dark background and better contrast.
The global settings are not things that tend to require frequent changes.

The Helix screen is better, but the sound is not. I played with a guy who used one and it was night and day. (Might have also been because he favored way too much modulation in his presets which really muddied things up.)

I agree with my fractal brothers regarding the editing. Most of the edits that you’re likely to do can be done on your computer. As for presets, it really is a matter of personal preference. If you are recording and chasing a specific tone then you may need to tweak. If you are a stage performer and need tone that cuts through a band mix then you may need to tweak. If you are a bedroom rockstar, then you may find the presets are just fine

Love that Goffin's Cockatoo in your profile, pic, John. Is the little fellow's need for attention wearing you out yet?

Love that Goffin's Cockatoo in your profile, pic, John. Is the little fellow's need for attention wearing you out yet?
Actually she is an Umbrella Cockatoo. She is the rock star of the house. My recordings are in the discount rack so I know the pecking order around here.

Back
Top Bottom