AX8 for recording from anyone with hands on experience

csassakb

Inspired
All

I currently have an AXE FX2. I have read the comparison between the AX8 and FX2 in the AX8 owners manual, so I am aware of the basic differences

Is there any downside to using the AX8 for recording as compared to the AXE FX 2?
(note-I have an interface already)

I know in the AX8 you can't put two amps, or two cabs and that kind of stuff, but I want to know from people who have used the AX8 for recording if there is anything they are unhappy with so I can make a smart choice before I sell my AXE FX2 to get an AX8

no USB audio, so reamping is less seamless, but still doable. You may end up missing some of the effects that are absent if you are used to them in AFXII.

I have been recording quite a bit with my Ax8 (but I never owned an AxeFX). I set up my recording patches such that I get a DI track and the dry amp sound on the FX loop L and R, and then I record the wet sounds (no dry sound) on the main outs L&R. That enables me to set the FX level in the mix phase. I have never been in a situation, where I thought, man I wish I had a different amp sound on this track. But I have many times found myself thinking that the FX were either too loud or too quiet. I never use spdif, I find it is too much of a hassle, and I really cannot hear the difference.

I have been recording quite a bit with my Ax8 (but I never owned an AxeFX). I set up my recording patches such that I get a DI track and the dry amp sound on the FX loop L and R, and then I record the wet sounds (no dry sound) on the main outs L&R. That enables me to set the FX level in the mix phase. I have never been in a situation, where I thought, man I wish I had a different amp sound on this track. But I have many times found myself thinking that the FX were either too loud or too quiet. I never use spdif, I find it is too much of a hassle, and I really cannot hear the difference.

So I am assuming that I just run a guitar cable from the output of the AX8 to the Scarlett interface, and into my LogicPro, and I am good?

Back
Top Bottom