AX8 for home setup

My wife is pregnant with our first baby, so I am looking to get a setup I can play through headphones so I can still play when the baby is sleeping. I am looking at an AX8, and I am thinking about if possible running my ipad with backing tracks into the FX return, then into a schiit audio magni 3 headphone amp. Does running a source into the fx return work okay, or would I need a small mixer? Are there some headphones that work really well with the AX8? And finally are there some good small affordable monitors in case I don't like using headphones?

At home I always use headphones, since most of the times I get to play, my kids are asleep.

I get very good results with ultimate ears ue-5 and Shure SE425 IN EARS. Full sounding and punchy with a nice midrange.
I haven't been able to get enjoyable sound for playing through my monitors (JBL LSR305) YMMV

I can't completely answer your questions because my AX8 arrives today - I'm at the door every 2 minutes like a dog, thinking I hear the UPS truck, lol.

But here's my plan:

I picked up a Mackie Mix 5 for $50 to use for headphones. From what I read the fx return will work. But I wanted the increased usability of a mixer (on my desk vs. on the floor, easy to adjust levels, etc.). I have this running from my laptop right now and it's fine. The mixer is tiny, about the footprint of two Boss pedals.

Besides ease of use, I don't already have a headphone amp. So I'd need to spend a few bucks for either a mixer or an amp - the choice for me was a no-brainer.

For headphones I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 280s that I'll be using. I also picked up a pair of Sennheiser RS 135s, which are wireless through RF, so no latency. I played with them over the weekened - they are OK, but the hiss when nothing is playing gets annoying. I'll probably use these if I want to play through full songs while standing up, but otherwise I'll use the wired ones. This hiss is just a little much for me for any kind of slow, repetitive practice.

Congrats on the kid, and nice job managing to get permission for such a big purchase during this time! She doesn't know, does she?

Congrats on your future parenthood. Advice - Get rest now!!

I like to use a small mixer. There are a lot of choices of mixers out there, depending on what you need.
I have a simple little mackie 402vlz4 mixer taking left and right out of the ax8. I can hook up a drum machine, iPhone, whatever... Headphones would be used out of mixer obviously,

That little mixer has been good for my needs. It has 2 inputs with onyx preamps if you need them. Note that the 402vlz4 does NOT have a pc connection (no usb etc..) which may or may not be a requirement for you.

I have a pair of JBL 305s connected up right now which have been fine. Personally, I don’t like wearing headphones and avoid them.

I would keep it simple and get a little mixer with a headphone jack. Then you're not messing with a FX block in all your presets. I'd rather turn a knob on a mixer to adjust a backing track volume than edit an AX8Edit block

Congrats on the new addition to your family! (and the possible AX8 addition!)
How about possibly go the other direction with your signal? Use an audio interface and run the AX8 INTO your iPad and something as simple as garage band for trax? Like a mobile DAW. So I guess it’s either buy a mixer or an interface. But if you had an interface you could lay down tracks on the road if you wanted and record your practice sessions. Maybe at night while the wife and baby are sleeping :) (if only:p)
Same thought, slightly different approach.

Congrats on parenthood!

Here's what's worked for me (using the stuff I need for gigs):
AX8 output 1 to Shure PSM300 Input 1
Media source (iPad/MacBook, etc) into Shure PSM300 Input 2
Any headphones/IEMs you like (I use Sony MDR-7506 or Alien Ears AFR3s)
Blend to taste.

Doing things this way means I literally only have to set my pedalboard up about the same as I would at a gig.

Good luck to ya!

This won't be a problem when you have kids, cos you won't get time to play anyway :) However, when my kids are sleeping and I have the energy to play, I connect the AX8 to my Scarlett interface, and can choose to monitor via headphones or speakers. If you don't wanna connect via a computer, there are headphone amps, or connect directly to some powered monitors.

Congrats on your kid! :)

What I found out to be the easiest way to go (personally) was a Zoom H5.

Besides allowing you to mix L/R separately on the headphones, you can record on an SD card and it is a fully portable solution, so, you just need an outlet for the AX8 (which also avoids ground loops).

Zoom H5, two XLR cables and some rechargeable AA batteries and done :)

Headphones is always a matter of personal preference, so, whatever you like.

Congrats on the new addition to your family! (and the possible AX8 addition!)
How about possibly go the other direction with your signal? Use an audio interface and run the AX8 INTO your iPad and something as simple as garage band for trax? Like a mobile DAW. So I guess it’s either buy a mixer or an interface. But if you had an interface you could lay down tracks on the road if you wanted and record your practice sessions. Maybe at night while the wife and baby are sleeping :) (if only:p)
Same thought, slightly different approach.

I like the idea of running into my iPad. Makes spontaneous recordings super easy.

I do have a basic behringer mixer that I might try as well. Now I just need to find something for some good backing tracks.

Here's my setup. I play at home at my computer desk.

Fractal AX8 modeler
Mackie Onyx Blackjack audio interface
JBL LSR305 monitors
Beyer DT-880 headphones

The Mackie is the audio hub and interface with the computer. I like it for a few reasons...one is that the knobs are on a 45-degree angle rather than facing up or forward, so it is PERFECT to use on a desk. Another is I can do live monitoring, so no latency. I also have separate knobs for monitors and for headphones. The knobs are all smooth too, not detented (or whatever the term is).

I play through headphones probably 95% of the time, so I spent a good chunk of time and money finding the Beyers. I don't love the sound of playing through the JBL's as I feel I've got to crank them up fairly loud (for home use anyway) to get a decent sound. Maybe I'd prefer 6-8 inch monitors?

Fractal AX8 modeler
JBL LSR305 monitors
Beyer DT-880 headphones

The Mackie is the audio hub and interface with the computer. I like it for a few reasons...one is that the knobs are on a 45-degree angle rather than facing up or forward, so it is PERFECT to use on a desk. Another is I can do live monitoring, so no latency. I also have separate knobs for monitors and for headphones. The knobs are all smooth too, not detented (or whatever the term is).

I play through headphones probably 95% of the time, so I spent a good chunk of time and money finding the Beyers. I don't love the sound of playing through the JBL's as I feel I've got to crank them up fairly loud (for home use anyway) to get a decent sound. Maybe I'd prefer 6-8 inch monitors?

Is the Blackjack better than the Onyx Producer 2-2?

Is the Blackjack better than the Onyx Producer 2-2?

I don't know if it's better. Looks like the Blackjack may be discontinued? I think they do more or less the same thing but I like the form factor of the Blackjack more for my personal use. I keep it on my desk and the knobs are easy to get at.

Fractal AX8 modeler
JBL LSR305 monitors
Beyer DT-880 headphones

I don't love the sound of playing through the JBL's as I feel I've got to crank them up fairly loud (for home use anyway) to get a decent sound. Maybe I'd prefer 6-8 inch monitors?

I have almost this exact same rig except I have the Focusrite 2x4 instead. And like you, I also like the JBL's very loud to sound their best. I keep them 75% in volume and turn my interface about 75% also which is VERY loud.

Back
Top Bottom