AX8 for acoustic guitar AND vocals, possible?

Gasp100

Power User
Hello, I am thinking of ditching my TC VoiceLive Play Acoustic and using the AX8 for my acoustic shows (duos and eventually solo). I'm working on my vocals and don't think I should get used to relying on the TC for vocal "help". The vocal harmony stuff is really cool, but honestly I don't see using it without quite a bit of practice. The looper is just "OK" and the AX8 looper implementation of course is much better.
My Taylor 526e has always sounded great through the AX8 (tube pre, compression and of course the amazing FX which I actually use live).
Any thoughts on trying to integrate vocals as well?
Could I have two distinct signal chains working? I don't think I could have a second tube pre, wonder if I could map the input(s) to the tube pre then break off with different FX and sent to a different output?
Just thinking out loud here as I would love to bring the least amount of gear to a gig.
I have not ruled out intergration of the 2, but that would be a pretty large board.
I do have 2 mixers, a very small Behringer that has 4 inputs and some built in FX.
I also have the Behringer XR18 which is fantastic.
As usual the best rig is routinely the most gear hahaha, but I am a minimalist.
Thoughts?

I play guitar and sing backup vocals. I run. TC voicelive touch and the AX8 together. The touch hooks onto the mic stand so gets rid of the big board issue. My friend and I run backing tracks as the acoustic thing is getting pretty old for us. Allows us to play a lot more songs than we could acoustic.

Found this is minimalist for us even with small pa pretty loud and mix is very good.

Guitar: Instrument input > GEQ/PEQ > Comp > Tube Pre > Looper > Verb > OUT.

Microphone: Mic Pre > Input 2 > FXL block > Comp > Verb ("Vocal Plate") > OUT.

The Tube Pre is nice but not essential. OTOH, it doesn't take up much CPU because amp modxeling runs on a seperate DSP.

The verbs may need to run at low-Q, depending on CPU.

Getting a TC BodyRez lets you delete the EQ, Tube Pre and compression from the preset.

You physically can do it, but I think there are better solutions for what you are looking for. Maybe a TC Helicon rack mount Vocal Live Rack. You can use the AX8 to send midi commands to it. Of course you would be taking away from the instant access buttons to send midi commands.

I think I should keep the TC Live Acoustic Play.

I use both these units for my acoustic gigs, Ax8 for guitar and TC Live Acoustic for voice. The nice thing about keeping both units is that you can always plug your guitar into the Live Acoustic if for some reason you can’t use your AX8 on any given gig. The “Bodyrez” stuff and reverbs in the TC unit are decent.

Back
Top Bottom