Ax8 for acoustic gigs??

rondamato

I'm beginning to play some solo gigs and am wondering if anyone is using their Ax8 in the same manner.
I want to use amps, affects and looper.

Any advice/presets is (are) appreciated.

Ron

My first gig was with an acoustic. My patch has no amp or cab but does use effects and EQ's.

Yep, I've done it. - I put f2 as quick access to the looper.
It's a pity you can't assign the looper main controls to any fs, so you tend to do a bit of tap dancing if you need effects control at the same time.
Sound wise though, it's fantastic!

I'm beginning to play some solo gigs and am wondering if anyone is using their Ax8 in the same manner.
I want to use amps, affects and looper.

Any advice/presets is (are) appreciated.

Ron

Mine attached. No CAb, pre-tube and EQ. Looper to my taste. I have to admit that this patch was inspired by some else's work but can't remember who... Sorry for that of course!

Ps : I have to admit also so I'm not a big fan of effects for acoustic but I'm interested by any advice you may have on this as well :)

Attachments

• Acoustique 7 (favori).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 37
I use the AX8 for both electric and acoustic. I use the FX loop in for the acoustic guitar input, and the electric (of course) is using the guitar in.

Here's a patch I mostly use with my Martin OM-28 with an Anthem pickup/mic system. I'm using a few different eqs to give me different tone options based on finger style, vs strumming, etc. I also use an old (97) Taylor 314 with an Fishman preamp in it, and being able to switch eqs helps make both acoustics work (pretty well). I've also added compression, light delay and reverb to sweeten the sound which are saved in scenes.

If someone finds is useful, let me know.

Note: I've notched a few problem frequencies out based on my live setup (AX8 through a Mackie SRM550). You might need/want to tweak those notched out frequencies for your setup.

Attachments

• 15-5_Acoustic 2.0.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 40
I use the AX8 for both electric and acoustic. I use the FX loop in for the acoustic guitar input, and the electric (of course) is using the guitar in.

Here's a patch I mostly use with my Martin OM-28 with an Anthem pickup/mic system. I'm using a few different eqs to give me different tone options based on finger style, vs strumming, etc. I also use an old (97) Taylor 314 with an Fishman preamp in it, and being able to switch eqs helps make both acoustics work (pretty well). I've also added compression, light delay and reverb to sweeten the sound which are saved in scenes.

Note: I've notched a few problem frequencies out based on my live setup (AX8 through a Mackie SRM550). You might need/want to tweak those notched out frequencies for your setup.

Great idea to run the Acoustic into the FX loop return. I need to try this patch out.

thanks,
Jeremiah

I've used my Ultra and now my AX8 for an acoustic duo I play in. I too, use the Tube Pre. Some EQ, then I have Chorus, delay, verb, even Wah. It works great.

I used the fx loop as acoustic in for a long time (on axefx). I didn't like that I couldn't use the tuner thru fx loop, so I went back to using http://www.soundsculpture.com/abcadabra this midi controlled A/B box. Both guitars go into input 1, the patch triggers the a/b which keeps my acoustic safe from gain on an electric patch.
Both are great methods, I just prefer the a/b box in my setup.

I used the fx loop as acoustic in for a long time (on axefx). I didn't like that I couldn't use the tuner thru fx loop, so I went back to using http://www.soundsculpture.com/abcadabra this midi controlled A/B box. Both guitars go into input 1, the patch triggers the a/b which keeps my acoustic safe from gain on an electric patch.
Both are great methods, I just prefer the a/b box in my setup.

It looks likes a cool tool to simplify the problem. Price is not too bad either. Thanks for the tip.

Just shooting the breeze here and dreaming, but I've got a nice acoustic with a fairly average peizo factory installed. Got a fishman aura and it improved it a bit... here's my idea based on what fishman does...

1) Create an EQ match of your guitar with a nice Mic in a studio situation using something like fabfilter
2) Convert that EQ impulse into a Cab
3) Use cab to have a modeled mic sound in your AX-8
4) Add the tube pre, EQ and whatever you want.
5) Be amazed.

That's my long term plan at least!

there's a product called tonedexter by audiosprockets that does something similar. that was my original inspiration...

Just shooting the breeze here and dreaming, but I've got a nice acoustic with a fairly average peizo factory installed. Got a fishman aura and it improved it a bit... here's my idea based on what fishman does...

1) Create an EQ match of your guitar with a nice Mic in a studio situation using something like fabfilter
5) Be amazed.

there's a product called tonedexter by audiosprockets that does something similar. that was my original inspiration...

Just curious as to what your end goal is? Are you trying to get your amplified acoustic to sound like your acoustic unplugged?

Just curious as to what your end goal is? Are you trying to get your amplified acoustic to sound like your acoustic unplugged?
Stubs- I just read thru it

5) Be amazed.

I just read the tonedexter page (sorry, should have done that first). An impulse as you described will probably get you there. My approach is to use the Para EQ to make the corrections. Pickups add unnecessary, unwanted frequencies- but you can slice them out with the paraeq returning your original signal by not allowing the troubling frequencies to pass thru.
Both methods get you to the same place.

Stubs- I just read thru it

I just read the tonedexter page (sorry, should have done that first). An impulse as you described will probably get you there. My approach is to use the Para EQ to make the corrections. Pickups add unnecessary, unwanted frequencies- but you can slice them out with the paraeq returning your original signal by not allowing the troubling frequencies to pass thru.
Both methods get you to the same place.

I guess the para eq in my case would probably be used to hunt feedback... or perhaps I'd even throw the Aura after the fractal to just use the feedback destroyer. When the bank accounts recovered from a tele build that is ongoing I might even look into the tonedexter itself... it's cool to dream up out of the box application for our little black floorboard though!

Had not taken the AX8 out yet. Using an Atomic, but had an acoustic gig tonight at church. Loaded up the Acoustic 2.0. Very nice patch. Only used this one patch tonight. I did add a CAB with an Acoustic IRs to add in some brightness. I had 3-4 loaded and switched Cab that sounded good. Not sure which one I settled on in the mix and saved.

Back
Top Bottom