AX8 Footswitch theory... can this box do this?

mwd

Power User
I've had an Ultra for 10 years and XL for a couple but just got an AX8. Never used scenes and don't have a MFC as I use computer for PC messages.

So I'm digging in on the AX8. Made a patch, created some scenes, used X/Y on delay on one of them, dragged 5 effects to footswitches, put a scene 1/2 toggle on FS6 and 2 other scenes on FS7 and FS8. A lot of the stuff I've read about but never used.

A couple of questions and I hope I can ask them right.

My workflow would benefit if the 8 primary footswitches would store my fav 8 presets. Preferrably mapped from any bank but if it had to be organized per bank that's cool.

So I could asssign my 8 fav presets to a bank or map them.
Press some selector button to go into preset select mode.
Press one of the 8 preset buttons of choice.

Once the preset is loaded it goes into 8 button FX/Scene mode and I could manipulate the preset via the 8 primary footswitches.

Then press a side button to tell it I'm wanting into preset select mode button.

Press one of the 8 buttons to choose a different preset and after it loads it goes into FX/Scene mode.

Can this box do this?

I'm pretty sure I can pull this off via MIDI PC from my computer but can I do this manually?

Yes just put preset select on a function Switch. Don't use sticky preset, just regular. It'll function exactly like you describe. You will need to set up one bank to have the presets you want, for instance all 8 presets need to be in Bank 38, rather than spread around multiple Banks.

Without looking at the manual I would almost guess that one of the function switches has this mode assigned to it by default, but I've changed all mine so I don't remember.

Edit: page 23 in the manual. F1-tap is assigned to preset select by default. Just tap F1 and you've already got access to the functionality you desire.

F1 > 1-8 select preset 1-8 in the current bank > after selecting preset 1-8 return to the functions designated by the preset.

I dont think you could do this without an external midi pedal... I would suggest to use F1 and F2 as preset up and down, and limit the presets to 1-8... this was you just have to press F1 a few times to load the preset, and you can do all the scene and X\Y options within each preset.

Yes just put preset select on a function Switch. Don't use sticky preset, just regular. It'll function exactly like you describe. You will need to set up one bank to have the presets you want, for instance all 8 presets need to be in Bank 38, rather than spread around multiple Banks.
Edit: page 23 in the manual. F1-tap is assigned to preset select by default. Just tap F1 and you've already got access to the functionality you desire.
F1 > 1-8 select preset 1-8 in the current bank > after selecting preset 1-8 return to the functions designated by the preset.
This. Exactly how I have it set up. F1 to select the preset, then it goes back to 1-8 controlling FX and scenes.

I dont think you could do this without an external midi pedal... I would suggest to use F1 and F2 as preset up and down, and limit the presets to 1-8... this was you just have to press F1 a few times to load the preset, and you can do all the scene and X\Y options within each preset.

What part are you saying he can't do? He's describing the single preset/bank select mode exactly. I'm confused which part of what he want would need an external workaround. Maybe I'm reading something wrong.

What part are you saying he can't do? He's describing the single preset/bank select mode exactly. I'm confused which part of what he want would need an external workaround. Maybe I'm reading something wrong.

You are correct... I was thinking you could only do "plus and minus" with the F switches.

Thank you folks. This is awesome. Next up firing MIDI PC's from the computer and see how they land regarding foot switches. I am trusting and hoping it functions the same as the using the F1 selection except I could bounce around the banks.

This is exactly what I do too. F1 displays all 8 presets in the current bank. While F1 is active, F2 & F3 change banks up or down. While F1 is active S1-S8 select presets in the bank shown. Once a preset is selected, S1-S8 go back whatever stomp functions are setup in that preset. If you want to cancel, press F1 again or press the S button for the preset you’re already on.

It’s less tap dancing if the preset you’re changing to is in the same bank, but presets in any other bank are all accessible.

Back
Top Bottom