AX8 FOH with in-ears?

I also prefer IEM over wedges - Using the same Mackie DL32r mixer, I switched from using the headphone output of the Mackie and use line outs (XLR), stereo to the PSM300 and from there to the same in-ear monitors (Shure 535s). The output from the mixer runs close to zero, but it was still easily noticeable that the wireless connection had more noise and less dynamics. It does not sound bad per se, the sound quality is just not as good as the wired connection was.
I had (and still have to some degree) a similar issue. When we first started using IEMs, I was not a happy camper.

After similar advice (and more) from @s0c9 and a few others, I spent several hours working on gain staging, adjusting the sensitivity on the transmitter, etc I felt much better.

There is still a degradation in quality from Axe Fx headphone output to DL32R headphone output to Audio Technica transmitter headphone output wireless receiver headphone output. In other words, using the same 6-way 1964 Audio custom molds, I get the best quality straight from the Axe Fx and the worst from the wireless receiver as I move to different points in the chain.

The DL32R headphone output is pretty close to the Axe Fx in sound quality... But not quite the same. Also, I have not retested since moving to the Axe Fx III, which I think has a better headphone output.

I am not sure how much adjustment is really possible with the PSM300. I come out of the DL32R with a strong signal without clipping the PSM. Output from PSM also looks good. I usually run the volume knob on the belt pack around 70% up.

I am not sure how much adjustment is really possible with the PSM300. I come out of the DL32R with a strong signal without clipping the PSM. Output from PSM also looks good. I usually run the volume knob on the belt pack around 70% up.
The Audio Technica has 3 selectable input levels... 0, -10 and -20dB pads if my memory is right.

I think I ended up on the -10dB.

@unix-guy and @Smittefar - it's important to remember (at least in the US) that most loss-of-audio-quality is due to interference and the frequency you use at a given venue in your area. Meaning - if you choose incorrectly, it WILL impact your experience.
You MAY have to use different frequencies (and record which ones) at EVERY venue. This is NOT generally a fault of the PSM300 (or other device) but due to frequency saturation in your area.

Both Shure and Sennheiser have online apps that let you enter a product, zip code and range and will give you a list of the available open (best) frequencies in your zip code. You should use that list to choose which band/model PSM300 you buy. So whether the PSM300 with the G20, H20 or J13 band is BEST for you will depend on where you live. Again.. Buy a J13 PSM300 when those frequencies are busy/saturated in your area and you WILL have dropouts, interference, noise, and other artifacts that impact your experience which have NOTHING to do with the device itself.

@Smittefar - You may want to confirm which PSM300 model you have and whether it "works" in your zip.
Here's some info to help you get started.

SHURE: Wireless Frequency Finder - Shure USA
G20 - 488.150-511.850
H20 - 518.200-541.500
J13 - 566.175-598.850

Senn: Wireless Frequency Finder - Sennheiser USA
A1 = 470-516 MHz
A = 516-558 MHz
G = 556-608 Mhz

Mipro 909:
470-639 MHz (no "band" label)

@unix-guy and @Smittefar - it's important to remember (at least in the US) that most loss-of-audio-quality is due to interference and the frequency you use at a given venue in your area. Meaning - if you choose incorrectly, it WILL impact your experience.
You MAY have to use different frequencies (and record which ones) at EVERY venue. This is NOT generally a fault of the PSM300 (or other device) but due to frequency saturation in your area.

Both Shure and Sennheiser have online apps that let you enter a product, zip code and range and will give you a list of the available open (best) frequencies in your zip code. You should use that list to choose which band/model PSM300 you buy. So whether the PSM300 with the G20, H20 or J13 band is BEST for you will depend on where you live. Again.. Buy a J13 PSM300 when those frequencies are busy/saturated in your area and you WILL have dropouts, interference, noise, and other artifacts that impact your experience which have NOTHING to do with the device itself.

@Smittefar - You may want to confirm which PSM300 model you have and whether it "works" in your zip.
Here's some info to help you get started.

SHURE: Wireless Frequency Finder - Shure USA
G20 - 488.150-511.850
H20 - 518.200-541.500
J13 - 566.175-598.850

Senn: Wireless Frequency Finder - Sennheiser USA
A1 = 470-516 MHz
A = 516-558 MHz
G = 556-608 Mhz

Mipro 909:
470-639 MHz (no "band" label)
Fair point... Although I tested a number of frequencies and the testing was done inside my house while about 2 feet from the transmitter (if that matters).

I haven't been able to find a frequency finder for Audio Technica :(

Fair point... Although I tested a number of frequencies and the testing was done inside my house while about 2 feet from the transmitter (if that matters).

I haven't been able to find a frequency finder for Audio Technica :(
Yeah, I know.. I've looked.. but if you lookup the AT frequency (form the device OM), you can get a rough idea from the Shure/Senn pages of what frequencies are open in your zip. :)
It's a baseline.
FWIW - coverage can be extremely spotty.. meaning it could work fine at the house, but not a mile down the road. It all depends on which TV stations are broadcasting, the strength of their xmitters and the direction they are broadcasting. Not all xmitters are 360.
In my experience it can [literally] vary from venue to venue., and some frequencies simply DO NOT WORK at some venues. You have to find which frequency is open (the expensive units will scan - like my G3) and track them for a given venue.
This is NOT always the case, but can be an issue if the area is saturated.
PITA for sure..

Yeah, I know.. I've looked.. but if you lookup the AT frequencies, you can get a rough idea from the Shure/Senn pages of what frequencies are open. :)
It's a baseline.
FWIW - coverage can be extremely spotty.. meaning it could work fine at the house, but not a mile down the road. It all depends on which TV stations are broadcasting, the strength of their xmitters and the direction they are broadcasting. Not all xmitters are 360.
In my experience it can [literally] vary from venue to venue., and some frequencies simply DO NOT WORK at some venues. You have to find which frequency is open (the expensive units will scan - like my G3) and track them for a given venue.
This is NOT always the case, but can be an issue if the area is saturated.
PITA for sure..
I'll check out the other sites and do some more testing. Thanks for the info.

How would I go about sending one signal to FOH and another to the monitor mix? Is that even possible? That way I would have lots of leeway on reverb in my ears that I wouldn't want in the house, and also set up a volume control that only controls my IEM mix.

How would I go about sending one signal to FOH and another to the monitor mix? Is that even possible? That way I would have lots of leeway on reverb in my ears that I wouldn't want in the house, and also set up a volume control that only controls my IEM mix.

Something like that requires a splitter in the signal. In my group, we use a 16ch splitter snake. we patch everything into the snake, one fan tail goes to our X32 on stage for our own in ear mix, other side goes to FOH to get the same identical signal pre X32. We both get to EQ/FX/Comp to our desires and it has no effect on FOH.

Basically you need a splitter and some form of a mixer.

Last gig the supplied IEM system was so bad that I finally decided to use a wedge. I used it and my earplugs.

It wasn't bad at all.

Definitely I'm not getting with the IEMs that comfortable sound I have at home and at rehearsals.

I'll keep refining the eq curve in my IEM line. I'm sure there must be something I'm missing. I've tried everything you've told me here. Still not right.

Back
Top Bottom