AX8 FOH with in-ears?

I don't expect to have a hifi mix in my iem.

I ask for my guitar, my voice, maybe the singer's...

Depending on the size of the stage, I will ask for some drums or the other guitar. As long a the bass player uses an amp, I don't need him in my iem. I'm close to him.

I just hate when there is noise or interferences.

In my opinion, the AX8 was MADE for using IEMs. I've never understood why people buy a small box to get rid of their big box (amp), then turn around and buy more big boxes (FRFR) again.
For those who have never tried them before, using IEMs do take some getting used to. But once you have spent some time learning how to EQ and build a proper mix, you will never go back to the noisy stage environment that leaves your ears ringing at the end of the night, as you continue to turn up your amp and compete for volume with everyone else.
Also, if you're going to do something, you should really consider doing it right. I understand budget is always an issue. But if you're willing to spend $1200 to get a great sound, spend some money so you hear that sound properly. While mass market IEMs are cheap and a decent way to enter the world of IEMs, once you have a set of IEM molds made for you, you will hear the difference that true isolation gives your sound.
IEMs have ensured I'll be able to hear my grandkids, provided more clarity for my mix (especially in situations that allow for a stereo mix), and allowed me to hear each band member in a way a mono wedge never did.
FYI, for those who have posted about "energy" on stage, I totally understand what you mean. When I first started using IEMs, I felt the same way. What I found over time was that feeling I had interpreted as energy, I just needed to now interpret in a different way. It takes some time. But if it really is a huge concern, we have set up microphones on stage before in order to be able to capture a more "live sound." Just mix a stage mic or two into your mix and you'll find it makes a difference.

Energy is difficult to feel with IEMs but a set of subs under the stage helps tremendously.
yes I don't have that. I am used to it now (I have been on ime for like 7 years now) and I said I pic iem over wedges 11x out of 10. I only mentioned it because guys new to iem or tried it and were unhappy the energy feel is one of the major problem ppl have (as well poor mix, crappy quality iem ect)

But if it really is a huge concern, we have set up microphones on stage before in order to be able to capture a more "live sound." Just mix a stage mic or two into your mix and you'll find it makes a difference.

Or even point one of those mics toward the crowd to remind yourself you're playing in front of an audience.

Here's a link to their site: http://testsite.samepagemusic.com/dotnetnuke/TheSystem/Products.aspx

I don't really like their site very much, but over all it's a very cool system ... 32 channels, all touch screen activated,.. you can have your music on there and have a foot switch to scroll through the music pages,.. So each person has their own 32 channel mix :cool:View attachment 48744

o_O how much do those cost? The site sucks

It literally says “testsite” in the link.

yeah.. very poor website that's for sure! ...

I think with all the hardware pieces and everything to make it run, it's around 1700 per station..

One other really cool thing about it is that you can save your Mix presets as well... So I have a basic "Mix" for when I play Lead guitar, bass, acoustic and so on... and you have total control of the mix.. you're not at the mercy of trying to signal somebody else or anything.

For a guy like me who's into recording, mixing, and mastering... this is GREAT! haha!

That sounds extremely expensive.

What's the benefit over something like a Mackie DL32r? It will give you seven individual stereo mix with 32 channels

Pretty much mixer will work. A digital mixer with wifi or bluetooth capability puts the control in the hands of each band member. Behringer has one @ $500 for an 18 channel tablet controlled version. Our church went from the Aviom system to a Midas M32 digital board and ipad minis for individual stations. I also have the app on my Samsung tablet and Android smartphone. It was actually less expensive in the long run than purchasing equipment for the additional Aviom stations we would need.

For a gigging band that has at least one person that knows how to adjust levels, it could be done with only one tablet regardless of the mixer, or simply use your phone or tablet with the app.

I really like the QSC Touchmix over the Behringer Air series for small solutions. On-board touch screen is great so you don’t need an iPad, but the wireless connection on the QSC has been 100% solid for me. The Air is always iffy, and I don’t really like the app.

The TM16 also has 2 ready-to-go IEM sends on the top panel, a normal headphone jack (just solo your mix for IEM use), and 6 aux that could be 3 additional stereo IEM sends. So cool.

We've been doing this - pics below - for the last 3+ yrs.
X32 Rack (X32R) on stage, 16-ch snake splitter, S16 for extra in/outs. IEM xmitters (G3) are housed is same rack with all of it.
It's a self contained system - very common for a lot of bands these days.
Some bands will send a L/R mix to FOH instead of individual channels.

We always put EVERYTHING into the splitter snake. One leg attached to the X32R, the other goes to house snake (digital or analog).
We remotely mix our own IEM's - using Andy or iOS devices - wirelessly thru the attached router (Archer C7) and are completely independent of the FOH. We let them do their job and not have to run monitor mixes for everyone.

IEM-config-2.png

IEM_rack_front.jpg

We've been doing this - pics below - for the last 3+ yrs.
X32 Rack (X32R) on stage, 16-ch snake splitter, S16 for extra in/outs. IEM xmitters (G3) are housed is same rack with all of it.
It's a self contained system - very common for a lot of bands these days.
Some bands will send a L/R mix to FOH instead of individual channels.

We always put EVERYTHING into the splitter snake. One leg attached to the X32R, the other goes to house snake (digital or analog).
We remotely mix our own IEM's - using Andy or iOS devices - wirelessly thru the attached router (Archer C7) and are completely independent of the FOH. We let them do their job and not have to run monitor mixes for everyone.

View attachment 48751

View attachment 48752
Same... but DL32R instead of X32.

Many venues we have played have a lazy soundguy that only wants a L/R feed rather than running the 16 channels we use from the splitter.

In that case, we accommodate them by giving them one of our iPads and let them mix from there.

Same... but DL32R instead of X32.

Many venues we have played have a lazy soundguy that only wants a L/R feed rather than running the 16 channels we use from the splitter.

In that case, we accommodate them by giving them one of our iPads and let them mix from there.
LOL.. we try to avoid that.
We also use 5G instead of 2.4G. Shorter range, but no conflicts! WPA2 security, with 3rd network node changed from default.
So something like 192.168.37.* instead of 192.168.1.*

We also limit DHCP range to 10 connections and assign the console a STATIC IP outside of the DHCP range.
That way, band members never have to re-enter the console IP on their device apps. It auto-connects once authenticated on the network and the app is started.

Also, we don't turn off SSID broadcast, because my [idiot] bandmates can never remember the network name :)

PS: I also scan wifi channels at each gig to check for interference. Based on the results, I'll change the default 2.4 and 5G channels on the router to minimize interference.
We DO NOT set the channel selection to auto.. that is useless.
You want your band router on the LEAST busy non-overlapping channels. This is MANDATORY if you are using 2.4G to communicate with your console. You'll get dropouts if not..
Looking at the pic, which channel would you choose for 2.4G
HINT: Least busy.. So ch-1 !!

upload_2018-8-2_8-13-45.png

Last edited:
Pretty much mixer will work. A digital mixer with wifi or bluetooth capability puts the control in the hands of each band member. Behringer has one @ $500 for an 18 channel tablet controlled version. Our church went from the Aviom system to a Midas M32 digital board and ipad minis for individual stations. I also have the app on my Samsung tablet and Android smartphone. It was actually less expensive in the long run than purchasing equipment for the additional Aviom stations we would need.

For a gigging band that has at least one person that knows how to adjust levels, it could be done with only one tablet regardless of the mixer, or simply use your phone or tablet with the app.
I really want control over 32 channels but I prefer using the p16. Did a gig where I had to use the app to control my mix and twice lost connection to the router and it was very aggravating

We are using the DL32r with the Apple Airport Express router. I don't think we ever had a dropout (We have been running this way for at least 4 years). We had quite a few dropouts with the X32 when we had that one for a short while.

Apple Airports do not work well with Behringer gear. it's a known issue on their forums. some have solutions, but most of the time it just doesn't work.

I use the Behringer XR18 with an Archer router, and it's been smooth sailing for years. I will be playing with in ears this Friday for the first time!

Back
Top Bottom