AX8 - First listen for newbs like me

Will headphones work by plugging the ax8 into a focusrite 2i2 and the headphones into the 2i2?
Yes but the 2i2 does not allow monitoring the inputs as Stereo.

I understand what DavidE was going for here, but I think some may be misinterpreting the message.

The AX8 does not have a headphone output meaning it was not designed for headphones to be connected directly to the AX8 itself. Some are using adapters so they can physically connect headphones to it, but again, the Output is not designed for headphones. Because of this, they are getting signal into their headphones, but is not the right type of output for headphones and therefore can sound not as good as expected.

Once the AX8 outputs are used as intended - line level out to line level in devices like mixers, powered speakers, audio interfaces and many more - connecting headphones to those devices' headphone outputs yields the expected quality and result.

So it's not necessarily that "headphones don't ever sound good with the AX8" but rather that the AX8 has no headphone output. Once things are connected as they are designed, everything sounds right.

Last edited:
Just an update here... Tried it through an m audio interface and into GarageBand and it sounded awesome. So, in my experience, I have to agree with David. Listening through the Y cable and straight into headphones is far from the best listening experience and that would be pretty bad way for a first time user to experience their axe fx.

Good to know.

I have no issues using headphones and I actually think the headphone connectivity on FAS gear (when it's dedicated) is top notch. You just need to REALLY know your headphones. I can agree on a number of things:
1. NEVER spend countless hours on mixes (or guitar tones) SOLELY through phones WITHOUT transitioning to the gear you are going to perform with before a gig... always try and get at least some time with your full rig and preferably at near stage volume to tweak before committing them for live use.
I use phones a lot, especially when building mixes in my car or late at night. I get a TON of work done that way, but always transition from cans to near field and eventually even full PA. Hell, most of the good studio producers I know do mixes on huge systems, then run out to their car to hear the mixes in there as well!

I have no issues using headphones and I actually think the headphone connectivity on FAS gear (when it's dedicated) is top notch. You just need to REALLY know your headphones. I can agree on a number of things:
1. NEVER spend countless hours on mixes (or guitar tones) SOLELY through phones WITHOUT transitioning to the gear you are going to perform with before a gig... always try and get at least some time with your full rig and preferably at near stage volume to tweak before committing them for live use.
I use phones a lot, especially when building mixes in my car or late at night. I get a TON of work done that way, but always transition from cans to near field and eventually even full PA. Hell, most of the good studio producers I know do mixes on huge systems, then run out to their car to hear the mixes in there as well!
I am pretty sure this topic is specific to the Ax8 in that there is no dedicated headphone out. Unless there was something wrong with the Hosa Y cable I got, I don't think it is an ideal way to listen to the Ax8.

I am pretty sure this topic is specific to the Ax8 in that there is no dedicated headphone out. Unless there was something wrong with the Hosa Y cable I got, I don't think it is an ideal way to listen to the Ax8.

I agree it's not the ideal way to listen to the AX8, however there is enough volume to plug directly in (again using a Y cable) and in a pinch (traveling, etc...) I would not hesitate to use GTR - AX8 - Headphones. Easily as good as using my Zoom G3X which has a dedicated headphone out and of course sounds better.

Back
Top Bottom