AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
The conspiracy theorist in me says that even if it is possible to upgrade the unit, fractal would like to keep the firmware a generation behind as the AX8 on Ares would go toe to toe with FM3 on a majority of use cases and might hurt their sales.

However the backlog of FM3 invites makes the conspiracy theorist eat his word.

Realistically, I don’t think there is an update coming out soon. The Covid-19 situation has already stretched Fractal in terms of managing their business. By the time things return to normal, the firmware may be far ahead so as to not make any sense (or feasibility) of trying to port a piece of it to AX8

The conspiracy theorist in me says that even if it is possible to upgrade the unit, fractal would like to keep the firmware a generation behind as the AX8 on Ares would go toe to toe with FM3 on a majority of use cases and might hurt their sales.

However the backlog of FM3 invites makes the conspiracy theorist eat his word.

Realistically, I don’t think there is an update coming out soon. The Covid-19 situation has already stretched Fractal in terms of managing their business. By the time things return to normal, the firmware may be far ahead so as to not make any sense (or feasibility) of trying to port a piece of it to AX8

Well , it's not about being CURRENT with the AFX3/FM3, that's just wishful thinking IMO. Back when the Axe Fx III was released there wasn't a huge difference between the II and III so I guess it was easier to port back to the II, thus Ares 2.00 was the latest release for the Axe Fx II. Nowadays with so many changes made to the III, I don't think even the II is powerful enough to run current algos, of course this is my perception and nothing else.

My point being, as much as having current ARES developments would be awesome (I have a III and trust me, they're are THAT good), I'm absolutely conscious (as of today) that would be impossible, both in terms of the AX8 not being powerful enough and (given Cliff's response to a comment I made) FAS just not wanting to invest more time into developing of a Legacy product.

BUT, what I do think is absolutely reasonable to ask for is an Ares port that keeps us AX8 people on par with the Axe Fx II (ARES 2.00). That's honestly all that I want and expect as a proper closure; afterall, it was expected that any update to the II would eventually get to the AX8, as mentioned here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-00-public-beta.103735/post-1241527

Last edited:
I don't expect any new firmware for the AX8 anymore. And from my personal experience I can say that the longer there's noone working on it the less likely the development team will feel motivated to dive into the old code and try to understand it. Not saying it's impossible. But since the FX8 has been left behind with bugs and considering Cliff's most recent statement my conclusion is that 10.01 is the final release.

I don't expect any new firmware for the AX8 anymore. And from my personal experience I can say that the longer there's noone working on it the less likely the development team will feel motivated to dive into the old code and try to understand it. Not saying it's impossible. But since the FX8 has been left behind with bugs and considering Cliff's most recent statement my conclusion is that 10.01 is the final release.

Unfortunately I agree with you.

Well , it's not about being CURRENT with the AFX3/FM3, that's just wishful thinking IMO. Back when the Axe Fx III was released there wasn't a huge difference between the II and III so I guess it was easier to port back to the II, thus Ares 2.00 was the latest release for the Axe Fx II. Nowadays with so many changes made to the III, I don't think even the II is powerful enough to run current algos, of course this is my perception and nothing else.

My point being, as much as having current ARES developments would be awesome (I have a III and trust me, they're are THAT good), I'm absolutely conscious (as of today) that would be impossible, both in terms of the AX8 not being powerful enough and (given Cliff's response to a comment I made) FAS just not wanting to invest more time into developing of a Legacy product.

BUT, what I do think is absolutely reasonable to ask for is an Ares port that keeps us AX8 people on par with the Axe Fx II (ARES 2.00). That's honestly all that I want and expect as a proper closure; afterall, it was expected that any update to the II would eventually get to the AX8, as mentioned here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-00-public-beta.103735/post-1241527
Completely agree.
My point was more to get AX8 on the same generation of firmware, and not the same firmware.

I am in the queue for an FM3. My use case (bedroom playing) does not necessitate me being up to date with the latest firmware. However, as a player, the itch is still there.

If AX8 were to get an ARES port which is well behind the current firmware but builds in some of the technology, I would reconsider the FM3 purchase decision.

I only speak for myself here, but can’t imagine that I am the only one.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a final ARES port, similar to the Axe II, but with the FM3 launch and the focus on it and the e-cliff-anies with the Axe III, it will probably be some time before they have any extra time to spend on the AX8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom