AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think patience is the key guys. Cliff and FAS never cease to amaze us :)
Hmmm. Not too sure about that. When was the last time anyone from Fractal even posted anything about fixing the existing AX8 bugs? Last thing I remember was a thank you and goodnight message as the AX8 lights were turned off and the door was locked and bolted. Even the recent AX8 Edit update has bugs.
Looks like this product has officially been walked away from as far as firmware updates are concerned. If they can’t be bothered with fixing the current Firmware, I would imagine you can forget about further updates to the editor too.
I have bought a Kemper Stage. Bit buggy but the bugs get fixed quickly and when they do, they don’t change the sound of all your existing presets. Used it at our last gig. Worked fine and sounded great.
Still have both my AX8’s.

From many years-past comments from Cliff and other Fractal staffers, here and other places like TGP, Rig-Talk, etc, you could arrive at your own conclusion. Mine is that AX8 is really, truly done and will never get another update.

I would SO love to be wrong :).

The gist is: Cliff himself did\does all firmware code work for Axe-II, but he never did AX8\FX8 himself. Those were jobbed out to other(s) staff who are long gone. The AX8\FX8 firmware was developed separately and they only ported in Cliff's block code (the algorithms that make it sound the way it does, Cliff's most critical IP).

I got the impression it's either not possible, or at least a real time-consuming PITA for Cliff to dive in there and create AX8 updates himself at this point. Whereas it's (relatively) easy for him to apply his latest Ares code to the II, release it and reap the praise.

All this IMO. Educated guess? Never say never? (wait, I already did above...)

From many years-past comments from Cliff and other Fractal staffers, here and other places like TGP, Rig-Talk, etc, you could arrive at your own conclusion. Mine is that AX8 is really, truly done and will never get another update.

The gist is: Cliff himself did\does all firmware code work for Axe-II, but he never did AX8\FX8 himself. Those were jobbed out to other(s) staff who are long gone. The AX8\FX8 firmware was developed separately and they only ported in Cliff's block code (the algorithms that make it sound the way it does, Cliff's most critical IP).

I got the impression it's either not possible, or at least a real time-consuming PITA for Cliff to dive in there and create AX8 updates himself at this point. Whereas it's (relatively) easy for him to apply his latest Ares code to the II, release it and reap the praise.

I tend to agree here..but who really knows ( besides CC).....

Actually, Cliff did said (over TGP if I recall correctly) that the AX8 was indeed a PITA to program. Also, I'm still on the impression that the FM3 (once released) will shed some light on any possible update for the AX8, being somehow a similar platform. At least I can assume it would be easier to port any code directly from the FM3 rather than from the Axe Fx III/II-Ares.

The problem which came to my mind:
Even if so, somehow we got Firmware 10. As far as I know, this was not ported, and/or programmed by some other guy than Cliff (correct me if I am wrong).
I am not that much interested in the Ares stuff on the AX8, but there are some bugs which would be really nice to get rid of. E.g. @Moke told something about the LFOs, and there are lots of other issues.
Granted, at some point you have to abandon a product and move forward.

Not granted:
The AX8 is not deprecated by any means. Yes, the FM3 is announced, and a lot of comments from the staff sounded like "hey, we did our lessons, so FX8/AX8 won't get an update, but this won't happen with the FM3", but I haven't read a "that's it folks" statement for the AX8/FX8 somewhere.

In contrary:
The Axe-FX II, which got "the last update" with Ares 1, now gets another update. And this is where I feel a little bit...strange. A deprecated unit with a shipped successor gets an update, but the not so officially deprecated one not?

See, Ares... I am on the European wait-list for the FM3, that's good for me and the product I need to get my job done. But for the AX8, I would like to see a final update, fixing some pressing (and embarrassing bugs, since it is "THE floor modeler unit") and then let it retire in peace.

Well, all I will say is that for the future, once bitten, twice shy. If the AX8 gets left in limbo with known bugs, that says enough about a company for me.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.

This update alone is awesome as hell. :D

Thank you so much, Cliff. Don't worry, take a well deserved rest and get better, for sure we can wait.

Just, wow.
Thank you! didnt expect this. Get well Cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom