AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd. It works here. Just tested twice.

It's seems broken to me too... but I knew what post you were referencing. What really strikes me the most is that, in an older post in that same thread, Matt said they were fully aware of the bugs in that FX8 Fw version and were set to revision once the dust settled in with the launch of the Axe Fx III... and just a little over a year or so from that post: "It's very unlikely there will be another FX8 update".

I think I understand what happened with the AX8 /FX8. As I'm a huge fan of Fractal and their products, I think it's best to let it go. I gig with the AX8 regularly, and haven't seen the reported bugs. I might feel differently if they were happening to me....

This is an important issue to those of us who use and plan to continue to use the Ax8 for live/recording into the foreseeable future. I personally haven’t experienced the issues discussed above but if I did, I would be torn about using prior FW. To my ear, the Ax8 sounds better than ever and I’m very happy with my tones under the current FW. I would most likely simply avoid the amp models that cause the issue and continue to use it. However, for those who have spent time building a gig/recording preset using the offending amp this is a major issue. I wonder if Fractal would consider a long term support plan (even, perhaps, for a reasonable fee). It just seems to me to be a shame to buy a product that works so well but which may have such a limited life span.

This is an important issue to those of us who use and plan to continue to use the Ax8 for live/recording into the foreseeable future. I personally haven’t experienced the issues discussed above but if I did, I would be torn about using prior FW. To my ear, the Ax8 sounds better than ever and I’m very happy with my tones under the current FW. I would most likely simply avoid the amp models that cause the issue and continue to use it. However, for those who have spent time building a gig/recording preset using the offending amp this is a major issue. I wonder if Fractal would consider a long term support plan (even, perhaps, for a reasonable fee). It just seems to me to be a shame to buy a product that works so well but which may have such a limited life span.

I totally agree. The Fractal Products are more expensive than the other similae products in the market.
I also payed much more because i liked the quality, the overall service and software improvements on the Fractal Products.
I was really not happy as i heard about ending on a Firmware with a major bug. The least would be to prepare a final and running Firmware ( as it was on my Ultra).
The AX8 is still a great Unit. I own also the Axe 3 with FC 12 but for small Gigs the AX8 is my absolute First Choice!

Like what?
Come on, you know which products are competing! And you know their prices.
It was a decision pro AX8 because of the well built quality and the sound / especially the update culture.
I am disappointed that nearly two years after getting mine in Europe as one of the first customers it is out of date.
It is ok for me, when the company says: ok, now we have fixed the bugs, its final now.

Another thing where i was disappointed the first time as a ten years Fractal owner: there were very little wishes installed afterwards. For me it is still a great Unit. The FM3 will not be my go to unit, because 3 switches is not useful. I have a FC12 for the 3 and will not buy a FC6 to use a FM3 good on stage.
Taking my FC12 plus an FM3 makes no sense.
So i will stay with an old AX8 on stage which sounds and palys phenomenal and use the 3 for studio use and for bigger gigs.
The AX8 has still so mich potential!

The problem as far as I can see is that the bug fixes for this stuff are usually released at the same time as a new additional function to the unit as part of the firmware update. So, there will be an announcement for such an amp being added and a ‘by the way, we fixed this too’. Problem with this is that some bugs don’t get fixed and people who are affected are drowned out by the noise of approval for the latest new amps and the 0.01 difference in tone the new modelling improvement has brought. People are quite literally shouted down and bullied here for mentioning that something may not be working correctly. ‘But look what they just gave us for free’ etc. I don’t know why people would do that as everything that gets fixed benefits everyone.
By concentrating on adding more stuff and not fixing what is already a bug, when a software engineer suddenly leaves we are seemingly left with a device that no one seem to want to fix and a ‘nothing to see here, move along’ attitude.
So, now everything works on the same architecture and can now be ported to all future products. That’s great. Definitely the way forward.
For the AX8, it seems a little too late and the attitude is that everyone should upgrade/downgrade to the latest 3 button offering as if the AX8 current verified bugs are somehow the buyers fault. If something is wrong with a new guitar, giving free packs of strings away every time you mention it won’t make the problem better or go away.
All I am saying is that if there is a serious bug, it needs fixing. Anything that freezes live is unusable. It’s not happening to me but I am still on 6.04 because funnily enough, every time I went to upgrade to the latest firmware, there was alway a tiny fly in the ointment bugwise reported so I have stayed with what I have. So, no extra amps for me and no smoother switching time either. I can’t get these because if I go for the latest firmware, my two AX8’s ‘may’ become unusable live. I can’t take that chance although I really would love to try the newer additions.
So, for me, all the freebie additions are pointless and useless, Even if I really want to use them. First and foremost, it needs to be stable first. Anything additional after that is a bonus.
I honestly don’t think most people here want anything new added. Just the existing verified bugs sorting out. Especially the reported show stopper freezing one. I am totally happy with the version of amp modelling it currently has. Always have been.
I am sure it will be sorted eventually. A lot of new products out at the moment. Once they mature, hopefully, it will free up some time and we can get the final firmware.
Not trying to flame anyone or stir things up. Just thinking aloud.

Last edited:
Agreed. Fortunately I never experienced the "freezing" bug, but I'm definitely experiencing the low frequency "bump" from time to time (at least once or twice every show) switching presets. So does the other guitarrist, with another AX8 and the same firmware.
It's embarrassing to experience and frustrating not hearing a word from Fractal about it.

It sounds like the firmware updates are pretty much done for the AX8... no matter how many complaints come in... FM3 is the future....

It sounds like the firmware updates are pretty much done for the AX8... no matter how many complaints come in... FM3 is the future....
The FM3 can’t even do what I needed my AX8’s to do. It would be a downgrade for me. I don’t have to justify or explain that to you either. It just is.
Let’s hope the FM3 you buy is discontinued with known verified bugs just as quickly as the AX8 was. We will see how smug your posts are then.

Well, my possible replacement for my AX8’s arrives tomorrow. Ordered a Kemper Profiler Stage. If it works out, will be switching both my AX8 live pedal boards to the Stage. It is a current supported product and will continue to be as far as its firmware is concerned.
Also, the software for it will stay up to date with whatever MacOS I will be using at this time and in the future. I can’t be worried about being locked out of an unsupported device.
I have loved using my AX8’s live, They are still amazing units.

Until it’s not and you’re in the same boat.
Well, from what I can tell, they have supported all their products for a very long time. Can’t be any shorter than the AX8. :)
This is not a knee jerk reaction. I love my AX8’s. I am just not comfortable taking unsupported tech to future gigs and we will have a busy year next year. Once there are a few more Mac OS updates, I probably won’t even be able to get into the units from a computer anymore.

Imagine the chances all those who still gigging an Axe Standard or Ultra are taking!!! There is absolutely no basis for any of the assumptions that the AX8 will brick on anyone at anytime.

All I can say is wow! The fear mongering has worked; what a shame.

Imagine the chances all those who still gigging an Axe Standard or Ultra are taking!!! There is absolutely no basis for any of the assumptions that the AX8 will brick on anyone at anytime.

All I can say is wow! The fear mongering has worked; what a shame.
Outside of being on stage, I have had my global settings reset for no reason twice on my AX8’s. So, all my custom harmonies were gone. All my switching setups gone. The size the song is displayed on the screen had changed. No assumptions here. What is your horse in this race? Why do you try and belittle anything anyone says here that is not 100% praise?
No fear mongering either, just a touring musician making sure what he uses is as painless as can be. Why would I want it any other way?

Outside of being on stage, I have had my global settings reset for no reason twice on my AX8’s. So, all my custom harmonies were gone. All my switching setups gone. The size the song is displayed on the screen had changed. No assumptions here. What is your horse in this race? Why do you try and belittle anything anyone says here that is not 100% praise?
No fear mongering either, just a touring musician making sure what he uses is as painless as can be. Why would I want it any other way?
That happened once to me too and I was told it happened cuz I turned off the unit short after I edited something in the settings, a few seconds wait is needed to avoid that.
It didn't happen anymore to me after I started using that precaution, maybe that's the reason you experienced that?

That happened once to me too and I was told it happened cuz I turned off the unit short after I edited something in the settings, a few seconds wait is needed to avoid that.
It didn't happen anymore to me after I started using that precaution, maybe that's the reason you experienced that?

This was confirmed by FAS. I believe they recommend waiting 30 seconds after making any changes before turning the AX8 off. Since I have been doing that I have not once lost my global settings. Before that it happened to me several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom