AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a product has been out for a while there becomes less and less that “needs” to be done, and as a result, more mature and stable products receive less and less updating.

It’s silly to think that any product, even the III after a given length of time, is going to receive “constant” updates

It would be great if all bugs would be eventually fixed. The way I view it FAS puts its focus on new features to keep the platform vital rather than trying to fix problems.

It would be great if all bugs would be eventually fixed. The way I view it FAS puts its focus on new features to keep the platform vital rather than trying to fix problems.

Tough to keep everyone and anyone happy. Some folks will complain new stuff isn’t being added, but then when new stuff is added, bugs can occur, so then folks say they don’t want new stuff, just fix bugs, but if an update comes out and it’s just bug fixes there will be posts complaint about where is the tri chorus, or why they didn’t get the updated pitch tracking etc.

I don’t think it’s possible to satisfy everyone no matter how hard Cliff may try

Once a product has been out for a while there becomes less and less that “needs” to be done, and as a result, more mature and stable products receive less and less updating.

It’s silly to think that any product, even the III after a given length of time, is going to receive “constant” updates

I agree with that but for me a product is not fully “stable” if the bug list is untouched.

If maturity and stability is the case, I expect some minor updates (10.02, 10.03, etc) that mainly tackles the bugs and some wishlist, and eventually the bug list gets smaller and smaller than you don’t see updates anymore... :(

Other than maybe little bug fixes, I personally don’t expect many major updates to Ax8 firmware in future. No inside knowledge here, just that it seems to me Cliff has magically crammed everything into what that units processor can already do. There is not a lot of left free to work with for expansion. That said, the Ax8 is pretty damn killer as is!

Other than maybe little bug fixes, I personally don’t expect many major updates to Ax8 firmware in future. No inside knowledge here, just that it seems to me Cliff has magically crammed everything into what that units processor can already do. There is not a lot of left free to work with for expansion. That said, the Ax8 is pretty damn killer as is!
Just a minor update as the boost amp type like the axe fx III could be great.I have now a matrix fr 10 with my AX8 and what i can say is that i have a great killer sound !

I wish the new Speaker Compliance to be added. The clip of 2112 it's like night and day to me: It feels like the stifness of direct recording vs mic were gone! With AX8 I strive to obtain this 3D sound with fine eq, but since speaker compliance is non linear factor I failed. I tried with drive or more gain, but it was too intrusive. Maybe this is the final step to 100% feel of real tube amp & cabs! :)

I wish the new Speaker Compliance to be added. The clip of 2112 it's like night and day to me: It feels like the stifness of direct recording vs mic were gone! With AX8 I strive to obtain this 3D sound with fine eq, but since speaker compliance is non linear factor I failed. I tried with drive or more gain, but it was too intrusive. Maybe this is the final step to 100% feel of real tube amp & cabs! :)

What is speaker compliance ? Did you mean speaker compression ?

here are just a few of the things i'd like to see added to the AX8. items in bold are priority:

drive types in amp
eq in wah
eq in drive
4 slots in cab block
4 channels for all blocks
2 amp blocks
2 reverb blocks
multicomp block
ir block

global blocks
speaker compliance

expanded grid
new looper functions
lower CPU usage
new amp models
no audio gaps

I am OK with the AX8 not getting all the new AxeIII goodness.

But I must admit that I think the Bug&Wishlist subforum is a joke.

There are many reported bugs (some have even been confirmed by FAS) that have never been addressed.

The Wishlist has largely been ignored.

+1

That is what I am complaining :)

here are just a few of the things i'd like to see added to the AX8. items in bold are priority:

drive types in amp
eq in wah
eq in drive
4 slots in cab block
2 amp blocks
2 reverb blocks
multicomp block
ir block

global blocks
speaker compliance

expanded grid
new looper functions
lower CPU usage
new amp models
no audio gaps

I don’t know if you are serious or just being sarcastic here Chris (probably sarcastic).

That is the problem. With this kind of “AX8 will not have everything from AF3” rethoric talk bug fixes and simple wishlist items get ignored.

One thing is blindly expect all AF3 goodness in the AX8. That is probably not even feasible, and even if it was, Fractal is not “obligated” to canibalize it’s high end product. I think the majority of the users here understand that.

But that doesn’t negate the possibility of bug fixes and some simple wishlist items. Instead, if we are getting closer to “the limit” that the unit can do, I prefer to see no new fancy features at all but ALL bug fixes done.

drive types in amp
eq in wah
eq in drive
4 slots in cab block
2 amp blocks
2 reverb blocks
multicomp block
ir block

global blocks
speaker compliance

expanded grid
new looper functions
lower CPU usage
new amp models
no audio gaps
Just drive type in amp and new amps. ( ADA mp1 for example ) and that will be fine for me . I love the floor format. Cool to take for gigs...

I don’t know if you are serious or just being sarcastic here Chris (probably sarcastic).

That is the problem. With this kind of “AX8 will not have everything from AF3” rethoric talk bug fixes and simple wishlist items get ignored.

One thing is blindly expect all AF3 goodness in the AX8. That is probably not even feasible, and even if it was, Fractal is not “obligated” to canibalize it’s high end product. I think the majority of the users here understand that.

But that doesn’t negate the possibility of bug fixes and some simple wishlist items. Instead, if we are getting closer to “the limit” that the unit can do, I prefer to see no new fancy features at all but ALL bug fixes done.

Oh, other stuff would be
I am not petty here, these are just problems one has to take care of.
But - and that's something I know from work (~9 developers with a whole lot of programs/modules/projects):

There's always a resource problem. Especially since Fractal is not a 30-50 person company, lot of stuff has to be done based on priorities. And as long as the problems are "not that bad" (a.k.a. it breaks and fails), and the flagship product needs more baby-sitting, I don't suspect any change here.

So - I would like to see some more bug fixes (screw the wishes, they make good features for a successor ;)), round up this product and then leave it with it's some flaws left.

P.S.: I am actually quite impressed as I was looking through the Wishes + Bugs forum that it's not that much bugs, but a whole bunch of wishes. Just looks like that most of the bugs are just so enervating that everyone seems to remember them ;)

drive types in amp
eq in wah
eq in drive
4 slots in cab block
2 amp blocks
2 reverb blocks
multicomp block
ir block

global blocks
speaker compliance

expanded grid
new looper functions
lower CPU usage
new amp models
no audio gaps
I think of AX8 as a live device. So no audio gaps, few tone-heaven sound, user friendly stomp switching are my priority. If I had to have an hardware option, I probably choose the FX8 I/O quality (converters?). Quality over quantity... :)

I personally don’t use any speaker compression in my presets. Think it sounds better and more realistic for live playing. Just set it to zero.

I use speaker compression in all my presets. I think, it is absolutely the missing link, if you want a sound that even remotely resembles a Celestion Blue (Which is my favourite speaker in the whole world)

drive types in amp
eq in wah
eq in drive
4 slots in cab block
2 amp blocks
2 reverb blocks
multicomp block
ir block

global blocks
speaker compliance

expanded grid