AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my AX8 also froze after switching on (with the start-self-test only two red LEDs lit up to the right of the screen and that was all). After the restart he revived. Firmware 10.01, the computer with AXEdit was turned off (the USB cable was plugged in). Up to now (few weeks) AX8 has worked as it should be (sound of 10.01 is wonderful - thanx FAS!)

Had a freeze the other day as well. The box still generated some sort of output, a lot louder than the preset I was using and a bit distorted without any effects as if I was overloading the output. No LEDs indicating a problem, no reaction to footswitches being pressed. Had to power cycle to recover.

I've had a couple of instances when changing presets, the volume is very low. I'll reload the preset and then it works.

Mine will sometimes go to a blank screen and require restart if I leave it plugged in for a couple days. Never did that before. But hasn't been an issue while playing.

Mine will sometimes go to a blank screen and require restart if I leave it plugged in for a couple days. Never did that before. But hasn't been an issue while playing.
It will lock up if you leave it running for a long time (about 10 days, IIRC from my testing). That’s never an issue at the gig, because your typical gig is significantly less than ten days long. :)

I've had a couple of instances when changing presets, the volume is very low. I'll reload the preset and then it works.
Sometimes I have the same problem. Usually it is when fastly changing presets (not scenes). Reload of preset resolve it. I found this thing in previous versions as well. Don't know from which one:/ but it is not the serious issue. AX8 sounds great and much more better than any device I had!

Sweet! Thanks Cliff....

Release Notes.....

Fixed can’t control Amp block Sat Switch via Modifier.

Fixed some amp models loading wrong initial Preamp Bias value.
Is the link above the right one to load or is it the one with the bug? So sorry, I'm a little late coming on the conversation. Need to wait if there's any bugs in firmware update. :)

Is the link above the right one to load or is it the one with the bug? So sorry, I'm a little late coming on the conversation. Need to wait if there's any bugs in firmware update. :)
This whole thread is about the current released firmware. You can always make sure of that by going to Fractal's website and finding the AX8 download section.

I recently updated to 10.01. I don't think I use any of the affected amps, but it has been working flawlessly through extended rehearsals.

Just gigged with 10.01 firmware this past weekend and it sounded amazing. Overall, all my presets sounded more present and had more body. I use a Mission 2x12 FRFR amp/Cab and I really noticed more detail and nuance when switching between amp types. Now it really sounds like using different amps for different tunes. In particular, the AC-20 and the Fender amps sound fantastic to my ears.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but let's say I have 20 pre-sets I bought that I absolutely love that emulate particular artists that were all made in say 9.xx firmware (or 6.xx, or 7.xx), won't I have to know how to tweak all of them after upgrading to 10.01?

Aside from maybe adding a little reverb or slightly turning a treble knob, I don't know how to tweak them back to their original sound, which eliminates the benefit of buying them already tweaked perfectly. Is it also the case that most retailers of artist pre-sets don't offer free upgrades to previously purchased pre-sets?

If your favorite amp is improved, or there's major overall improvement (it's already awesome), than maybe it's worth it to sacrifice the quality of your existing pre-sets? Otherwise at the moment at least I'm not seeing more overall benefits to upgrade than to not. I guess it just depends on specifically what's in it and whether or not that's valuable enough to you.

Last edited:
I usually don't find that the sound changes so much that it becomes unrecognizable. A good preset is still a good preset after a firmware update.

Several of the commercial preset creators offer free updates of the presets, when there are significant firmware updates. You have to check, when you buy the preset, what the policy is.

Firmware and should I or shouldn't I has been a hot topic since as far back as I can remember. which is about early 2009. Me, I always update FW, but then again I am not making a living (anymore) off of music so I do not have to worry like most of you guys.
I've owned all the axefx's made except the III and I usually have no issues at all. I mean one time a compressor setting change, or a slight vol boost or drop but never anything crazy that ruined the basic sound of a preset. Not saying it does not happen, just saying it's not real common. Which is a good thing!

Sometimes the levels jump around a bit, when the firmware is updated. Re-levelling has been the biggest issue for me when updating.

Thanks guys! Maybe it's not as bad as I had envisioned.

Smittefar, thank you, when you say re-leveling are you talking about doing that for each pre-set, where would I do that exactly?

I think this issue is a bit overblown. I am gigging regularly and I update my Ax8 every time a new one comes out. In almost every case the sound has gotten better and never worse. I have also never had any issues with levels changing, etc. I typically tweak a little at each gig depending on the room so I am used to adjusting gain, master volume and EQ settings using the knobs for certain presets on the fly as needed. I understand the concern for professional touring musicians that have a certain sound dialed in for specific tunes, etc. But for most of us, it should not be that big a deal.

Thanks guys! Maybe it's not as bad as I had envisioned.

Smittefar, thank you, when you say re-leveling are you talking about doing that for each pre-set, where would I do that exactly?
The 'Level' parameter in the Amp block in AX8-Edit. Also on the front panel (4th knob, 2nd row).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom