AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
How people are arriving at this point of view is kind of boggling my mind.
I think you've missed my point. I should've stated...'lesser'..."in regard to functionality and without the additional FC being connected to the FM3". I'm sure the amp models on the FM3 will sound better with most current technology. The AX8 is just logically laid out and extremely practical in a single self-contained unit. I hope this clarification helped (un)boggle your mind a lil bit;)

I should've stated...'lesser'..."in regard to functionality and without the additional FC being connected to the FM3".
Except the switches on the FM3 are far more capable than the switches on the AX8. It's smaller than AX8. And it's cheaper than the AX8. And if you add an FC6 you're at more switches than the AX8, each of which is far more capable than any switch on the AX8, for only slightly more space width-wise.

Mind-boggled. People can literally complain about anything (this post as evidence).

Except the switches on the FM3 are far more capable than the switches on the AX8. It's smaller than AX8. And it's cheaper than the AX8. And if you add an FC6 you're at more switches than the AX8, each of which is far more capable than any switch on the AX8, for only slightly more space width-wise.

Mind-boggled. People can literally complain about anything (this post as evidence).
Sorry man, my post was never meant to defame the new FM3 or start a ruckus...I just prefer the design of the AX8 personally. I’m sure the FM3 will be a cool edition to the Fractal...I hope you enjoy the FM3 if you intend to buy one;)

Although I'm not interested in replacing my AX8 for the FM3 ATM, I'm all in for the new modular approach and the new possibilities it'll bring. However, it's understandable that some folks just don't want to mess with two separate units (FM3+FC6/12) while the AX8 offers great convenience packed in one unit. It's as understandable and debatable as the guys wanting it's floor modeler with an integrated expression pedal just like the Helix vs the guys wanting to buy the pedal separately for their AX8/FM3/Kemper Stage etc...

Some people just want the convenience of the (already worth-proven) layout of the AX8 and think the FM3+FC6 with 9 on-board switches will require more adjusting/programming/work-around to match their workflow with the 11 switches in the AX8 and don't wanna spend more on the FC12... again, that's undestandable and yes, for them is a 'downgrade', not from a sound/technology view point, but from a convenience/workflow one.

No need to boggle anyone's mind. :)

The evolution of the pedalboard part of a switching system has basically been based around what Bob Bradshaw came up with working with all the biggest artists of the time. None of those boards had dual or triple function switches because none of those top players ever wanted that. Everyone took that template because it worked.
The FM3 switches are a solution to a problem that never existed except there are not enough switches. Stop trying to tell people who have been using these switching systems since the late 80’s and early 90’s that we just don’t get it. I get it and it is useless for the way I work. I don’t want a ‘modular system’. Oh, and good luck working on your press and hold on time critical changes. Why not have a single switch that you press 25 times if less is more? :D

I'm a longtime AX8 user myself and just bought the KPS as well and as a potential replacement for the now discontinued/unsupported AX8. I'm curious...how is the KPS working out for you and by comparison of the AX8? I also do not see myself moving to the FM3 as it seems to be a lesser version of the AX8...I feel we're in a similar predicament. Thanks!
It’s working out fine up to now. It’s a familiar form factor and besides the different way of working, I think I will be fine with it.
Couple of little bugs in there and had it freeze a couple of times which is not great. Going to just take my time programming it up. Chip away at it. Once I am there, will introduce them to the live set.

I'm talking to fractal support. saying the AX8 users were abandoned too early ... how many years was axe II supported?
"No new firmware" isn't the same thing as "not supported." Fractal support is still there, and warranties are still being honored.

The latest III update just added a function where the hold function operates on release so you can do these critical time changes. I've been using it live and it's easier to time them than just pressing.
I'm curious, how is that different than the way it currently works on AX8?

With hold functions activated, the tap function happens on release and the hold function as well.

I'm curious, how is that different than the way it currently works on AX8?

With hold functions activated, the tap function happens on release and the hold function as well.

IIRC the AX8 lets you set the hold interval between 0.25s and 2s - that's the same default behaviour as the III (hold function execute mode set to timeout) but now there is a "switch up" mode so that you can hold the switch indefinitely and it will activate when you release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom