AX8 Firmware 9.04 Released

I'm really enjoying this firmware, particularly raw patches with just amps and cabs.

Band practice got cancelled last night and at home I went through the factory presets and really took to a few amps I'd never got on with before, in particular the CAE3 clean.

For me, this update has too much "drive". Everything is brighter, that's for sure. Not sure if that is good. I have a few active pickup guitars and some passive guitars. The passive guitars are great because amps have so much gain these days that I like the tone of the lower output pups. That said, the factory Blues Jr. on a passive guitar is over-the-top crunchy now...a metal blues jr (practically)? I'm dialing the treble way down now for some amps...like way down below 2 or 3 on the dial...still bright.

Question 1: when you guys do an update, are you referencing the original amp samples you captured for better "authenticity"?
Question 2: If I upload the previous version Firmware, will I get my old tones back?

This is first one I've loaded that I really notice a BIG change in my presets and I know Ill need to put some work into. For me, high gain is "easy"; its the clean and crunch that I really work at...that's my sound...more classic rock. Too much gain kills "tone" for my music. All comments welcome.

Last edited:
everything was DARKER for me. i put the treble controls up and i was right where i wanted to be.

everything was DARKER for me. i put the treble controls up and i was right where i wanted to be.

Interesting! Voodoo. Not sure what to say there, but such is the mystery of the inner audio sysex magic. Can i just install the previous to downgrade?

Last edited:
For me, this update has too much "drive". Everything is brighter, that's for sure. Not sure if that is good. I have a few active pickup guitars and some passive guitars. The passive guitars are great because amps have so much gain these days that I like the tone of the lower output pups. That said, the factory Blues Jr. on a passive guitar is over-the-top crunchy now...a metal blues jr (practically)? I'm dialing the treble way down now for some amps...like way down below 2 or 3 on the dial...still bright.

Question 1: when you guys do an update, are you referencing the original amp samples you captured for better "authenticity"?
Question 2: If I upload the previous version Firmware, will I get my old tones back?

This is first one I've loaded that I really notice a BIG change in my presets and I know Ill need to put some work into. For me, high gain is "easy"; its the clean and crunch that I really work at...that's my sound...more classic rock. Too much gain kills "tone" for my music. All comments welcome.
I would agree with your comments. It sounds too bright and little harsh especialy on crunch tones.

Last edited:
Did you last 2 guys that said the crunch tones are too bright and harsh, change your 'CF Hardness' setting to 7.5 or pick another setting for it? Just curious if that made a difference?

@Ericbr1 Just gave that a go and I do notice that CF Hardness to 7.5 in Amp Dynamics tab does smooth it out the gain nicely; but after trying that with several presets, I now agree with @chris that my tones are a little darker but not in a good way for me. When I add back some treble or brightness, there's just something lacking in this one that I cannot quite put my finger on.

I'm reverting. I do tweak all of my presets on a Xitone FRFR for reference so I feel pretty confident that what I hear will translate. No worries for me though, I'm thrilled with that I have on the previous version. Easy enough to see what's next as I have gigs coming up...

I'm really enjoying this firmware, particularly raw patches with just amps and cabs.

Band practice got cancelled last night and at home I went through the factory presets and really took to a few amps I'd never got on with before, in particular the CAE3 clean.

Funny same thing happened to me last night. Lost almost 40 min playing with the super reverb patches!

@Ericbr1 Just gave that a go and I do notice that CF Hardness to 7.5 in Amp Dynamics tab does smooth it out the gain nicely; but after trying that with several presets, I now agree with @chris that my tones are a little darker but not in a good way for me. When I add back some treble or brightness, there's just something lacking in this one that I cannot quite put my finger on.

I'm reverting. I do tweak all of my presets on a Xitone FRFR for reference so I feel pretty confident that what I hear will translate. No worries for me though, I'm thrilled with that I have on the previous version. Easy enough to see what's next as I have gigs coming up...

Each time I've upgraded the FW, I've done at least a few upgrades at once, and each time, all my programs got 'messed up'. I then typically have been able to 'fix' them to sound great, but it's always taken me some time. I'm on 9.02 now and not sure if I do want to upgrade again or not! :) Best of luck to you

Eric

E
Each time I've upgraded the FW, I've done at least a few upgrades at once, and each time, all my programs got 'messed up'. I then typically have been able to 'fix' them to sound great, but it's always taken me some time. I'm on 9.02 now and not sure if I do want to upgrade again or not! :) Best of luck to you

Eric
I am going back to 9.03. I just can't get the same tones especially if I have drive pedal turned on. It sounds harsh and no warm tones at all

Back
Top Bottom