Bug? AX8-Edit preset naming problem

Shunt

When I change a preset, put a number suffix (like "02) behind the preset name and save it via Preset -> Save to New Preset Number, the preset with the changes will be saved, but the number suffix will be discarded. Tried resaving it with the save button, renaming it - clicking into the grid - resaving it. Doesn't work. Just won't save the number suffix.
Any idea what the problem here is?

Running AX8-Edit 1.8.7 and AX8 firmware 9.03

Any chance the name is too long? It only allows 21 or 22 characters/spaces, so if the name is already that long it will drop everything after it.

Haha, whatya know. The name without the number suffix is exactly 22 characters long. Works with a shorter name. Thanks for letting me know.

I feel like this would deserve a "preset name too long" prompt or something :D Or am I just not seeing it?

Eh nope. The preset name's length doesn't seem to be the only problem. Cannot change a preset name again. What is the right way to do this?
I go click the title, change the name (in this case "5F1 HoF series") click the red save-button. But when I change to another preset and back, the title is the old one again. Also tried clicking in the grid before changing the name and saving so it is indicated that it has been edited, but this doesn't seem to change anything. Saved the same preset to another slot and in this slot I can change the name. Errm, wha?

/Edit: Okay, it just never works when I press the red save button. Always have to go to Preset -> Save Preset and it works...

Eh nope. The preset name's length doesn't seem to be the only problem. Cannot change a preset name again. What is the right way to do this?
I go click the title, change the name (in this case "5F1 HoF series") click the red save-button. But when I change to another preset and back, the title is the old one again. Also tried clicking in the grid before changing the name and saving so it is indicated that it has been edited, but this doesn't seem to change anything. Saved the same preset to another slot and in this slot I can change the name. Errm, wha?

/Edit: Okay, it just never works when I press the red save button. Always have to go to Preset -> Save Preset and it works...
You need to press the Save button twice. When renaming a preset pressing the Save button once just closes the text window. The second press is the actual save operation.

You need to press the Save button twice. When renaming a preset pressing the Save button once just closes the text window. The second press is the actual save operation.
You can also press Enter/Return for that first “save” which is intuitive since you’re typing. But yes, ultimately another Save press for the actual preset itself.

Alright. Thanks! Very, very handy to know :)
Just curious, how does that make sense from a UX/interface design point of view? Where's the benefit of the extra button push? Takes exactly as many clicks with the mouse to use the dedicated save button then as it takes with the top menu...

Alright. Thanks! Very, very handy to know :)
Just curious, how does that make sense from a UX/interface design point of view? Where's the benefit of the extra button push? Takes exactly as many clicks with the mouse to use the dedicated save button then as it takes with the top menu...
The solution would be to make the Save button force a “save text entry” on that box AND save the preset, but I’m not a dev at all and not sure how or if that would work. But logically it makes sense why it is how it is.

Come on! From a UX/interface design point of view it is logical that pressing the dedicated save button exits the text input without saving the changes? You guys... :D

Come on! From a UX/interface design point of view it is logical that pressing the dedicated save button exits the text input without saving the changes? You guys... :D
It's the way it works right now and we were simply trying to help you figure out your issue. I personally don't really care about little 'inconveniences' like this. I'd rather figure it out and move on to tweaking presets and playing guitar. Apparently it bothers you very much and I suppose can understand why if you have experience in programming or writing code. I have no experience or knowledge in UX/interface design, nor would I speculate as to the 'why' of this feature if I did without hearing it from Fractal firsthand. If it ever gets 'fixed' that's fine, but for now I'm good with pressing the button once more to save a preset after naming it.

I hear you. This is the way it works right now :) And I am really very thankful the help I find in this board - especially since there seems to be no other source for infos like this.

Of course it is not an unscalable obstalce to push the save button twice. I was just curious if you really - I mean honestly - think that this is an intuitive interface design. You don't need to study to give an opinion on this.

I am new here and still adjusting to the board's tone. To be honest, I have to say that some comments here feel a bit strange. Some of them have a sublte cult-like vibe to it - similar to talking to, errm, very dedicated apple customers. Like it would cause some of them physical pain to openly criticize or question anything done by FAS. Or, even when flaws are acknowledged, they are immediatly played down. Maybe that's the reason why small hickups like this persist?
And yesss, I see that this cannot be generalized and I see enough criticism here as well. Just saying that there seems to be a hard core of believers :)

There are a lot of fanboy attitudes, know-it-alls and devotees who are quick to defend any criticism of Fractal, warranted or not. That's to be expected with any product. I simply avoid getting into discussions that I don't have any firsthand knowledge of or experience with. I'm more interested in understanding how to make things work in the AX8 and FX8 for me. Threads seem to get derailed quickly and end up not helping others who are searching for a solution to the same problem. I'll offer suggestions to those who ask for help and save any opinions for the Wish List or Lounge sections should I feel the need to offer them.

I think we all need to remember that a lot of people search the forum for answers and when threads get off topic, we can end up wasting their time reading through comments that have nothing to do with a solution to the question posed.

My philosophy is that things work the way they do and until I start signing the paychecks, there's really no point in worrying about much else.

I hear you. This is the way it works right now :) And I am really very thankful the help I find in this board - especially since there seems to be no other source for infos like this.

Of course it is not an unscalable obstalce to push the save button twice. I was just curious if you really - I mean honestly - think that this is an intuitive interface design. You don't need to study to give an opinion on this.

I am new here and still adjusting to the board's tone. To be honest, I have to say that some comments here feel a bit strange. Some of them have a sublte cult-like vibe to it - similar to talking to, errm, very dedicated apple customers. Like it would cause some of them physical pain to openly criticize or question anything done by FAS. Or, even when flaws are acknowledged, they are immediatly played down. Maybe that's the reason why small hickups like this persist?
And yesss, I see that this cannot be generalized and I see enough criticism here as well. Just saying that there seems to be a hard core of believers :)
some people (no one in this thread) can be a bit sharp in their replies; not sure why. trying to work on that, especially when responding to people new to the forum.

but in general, the Fractal products have honestly solved many problems for people and are the only gear they use these days. couple that with years of frequent, substantial free updates and the customer base has become very supportive of the brand.

we have been given so much for the entry fee, comparatively, it's no wonder people speak positively and somewhat defensively of the products.

It's the way it works right now and we were simply trying to help you figure out your issue. I personally don't really care about little 'inconveniences' like this. I'd rather figure it out and move on to tweaking presets and playing guitar. Apparently it bothers you very much and I suppose can understand why if you have experience in programming or writing code. I have no experience or knowledge in UX/interface design, nor would I speculate as to the 'why' of this feature if I did without hearing it from Fractal firsthand. If it ever gets 'fixed' that's fine, but for now I'm good with pressing the button once more to save a preset after naming it.
I made a preset and pressed save once. When I changed to a different scene , the entire preset vanished on my Axe8 edit. I will try press twice tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom