AX8-Edit on Linux [Solved]

JRFarmer

Inspired
Has anybody gotten this to work? If so, can you please share your details? What Linux distribution? What version of that distribution? What version of Wine? Anything special you had to do to make it work?

I tried, but I get a memory access exception (looks like a dereference of NULL). I'm running Linux Mint 18.1, with Wine version 1.6.2.

I had Axe-Edit running fine on Ubuntu, but don't remember which version - either 14.04 or 16.10. There is a pretty good thread on it - do a search in the XL forum.

RR

I have no AX8, so I can just install and start AX8-Edit without really using it. I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit with Wine 2.4.

For me AX8-Edit crashed right after the first start with an "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00510afb)." But after that I was able to start AX8-Edit multiple times and look at "Settings" and choose the entries under "Help" without any further crash.

If your problem persists you might try the following: Start winecfg, select AX8-Edit on the applications tab, head over to the libraries tab and disable dwrite.dll (Under "New override for library" type "dwrite", then click "Edit" and select "Disable"). But without a backtrace of the crash this is a wild guess of course ;)

I can run AX8-Edit as long as I don't connect the actual AX8. As soon as I plug in the AX8, I get the crash:
Code:
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0050fd64).

Then I tried this...
head over to the libraries tab and disable dwrite.dll

Holy crap, you're a genius! Looks like I'm in business, and I have one less reason to boot into Windows.

Where do I mail the check?

I have made a rpm .spec recipe for the application, so I can install it cleanly on my system (openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling distro).

Unfortunately I can't post links yet, but if you go to build.opensuse.org to the path /project/show/home:dmacvicar/AX8-Edit you can see the .spec file.

If you put the .spec file plus the original .exe in a directory, you should be able to build it with rpmbuild -bb AX8-Edit.exe.

Additionally I use these macros in ~/.rpmmacros:

cat ~/.rpmmacros
%topdir /space/packages
%_builddir %{topdir}/build
%_rpmdir %{topdir}/rpms
%_sourcedir %(echo $PWD)
%_specdir %(echo $PWD)
%_srcrpmdir %{topdir}/rpms

Then I can build inside a single directory.

The build service can in theory build it, but I can't commit the .exe to the build service because of the license.
The build service would in that case automatically generate a YUM/dnf/zypper repo for home:dmacvicar including the resulting rpm, but hosting the .rpm would also be problematic.

I have to say kudos to the AX8-Edit developers. Because they kept it simple, and JUCE for Windows run more or less good on WINE, the whole AX8-Edit also works flawlessly under WINE. I hope they keep it that way. I don't request that they build a Linux build, but having it working under WINE makes lot of people happy. Being able to run the client on my laptop was a big selling point for me.

AX8-Edit developers, if you ever need help with a quick test on Linux, I am happy to assist!.

Official permission to distribute/host the .exe and the resulting rpm's would be even more awesome, but not necessary.

I have no AX8, so I can just install and start AX8-Edit without really using it. I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit with Wine 2.4.

For me AX8-Edit crashed right after the first start with an "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00510afb)." But after that I was able to start AX8-Edit multiple times and look at "Settings" and choose the entries under "Help" without any further crash.

If your problem persists you might try the following: Start winecfg, select AX8-Edit on the applications tab, head over to the libraries tab and disable dwrite.dll (Under "New override for library" type "dwrite", then click "Edit" and select "Disable"). But without a backtrace of the crash this is a wild guess of course ;)

Works great with my Ubuntu Studio 16.x machine. Thanks volt!

Back
Top Bottom