AX8-Edit - How Long Will It Be Supported?

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
I recently purchased an Apple MacBook Air pre-loaded with MacOS Catalina and unfortunately learned that some of the software for a few pieces of audio gear that I own are not currently or no longer supported.

My question is this: How long does FAS plan on supporting AX8-Edit users, especially since operating systems, MacOS in particular, get updated on a yearly basis?

Is AXE-Edit for Generations 1 and 2 of Axe-FX devices still being updated?

My question is this: How long does FAS plan on supporting AX8-Edit users, especially since operating systems, MacOS in particular, get updated on a yearly basis?
The breaking change in Catalina was a one time thing. We haven't seen a breaking change like that from Apple since the PowerPC --> Intel transition. The yearly updates are rarely an issue.

Is AXE-Edit for Generations 1 and 2 of Axe-FX devices still being updated?
If by Gen 1 you mean the Ultra/Standard family: no.

If by Gen 2 you mean the Axe-Fx II family: yes. The drivers and editor were updated to support Catalina along with AX8-Edit.

The breaking change in Catalina was a one time thing. We haven't seen a breaking change like that from Apple since the PowerPC --> Intel transition. The yearly updates are rarely an issue.

Yeah, I remember the switch from PowerPC to Intel fiasco quite well. I’ve been out of the loop with the Mac line for a while. I’m assuming this one was due to the switch to 64bit-only app support?

If by Gen 1 you mean the Ultra/Standard family: no.

If by Gen 2 you mean the Axe-Fx II family: yes. The drivers and editor were updated to support Catalina along with AX8-Edit

This is good to hear. I just don’t want to invest in a system that will only be good for supported for a few years. I guess the Standard and Ultra could still be operated by their front panels. But I think the real power of these products are when they are used with their respected editors.

I’m assuming this one was due to the switch to 64bit-only app support?
Correct.
I just don’t want to invest in a system that will only be good for supported for a few years.
I mean, the AX8 was deprecated last year. There are no promises on its longevity going forward that are being made by FAS, but past behavior suggests they'll nudge things along for a few more years post-deprecation. Assess that risk any way you like.

It could be hit or miss. There are undoubtably different experiences out there but I wouldn't bet on any sort of enduring support.

I bought an Ultra about 2 months prior to Fractal surprise-releasing the next model. From my perspective it felt as though support for the Ultra was dropped fairly quickly thereafter. I have never really been able to get the editing software running properly since which has been painful.

Thankfully there are far better VST options out there now and I rarely go through the effort of trying to hook up the AxeFx and dial in a patch manually for studio work. It largely languishes away in the studio gathering dust.

That being said, it's still a great bit of kit if I want something quick and easy to use for live/rehearsal purposes with the original MFC controller. I'm just lucky that I loaded it up with decent live patches before the software was pulled.

... and I note that software support for the MFC has just been dropped. Feels like I just purchased the thing.

Thanks for the info, that’s intriguing. I wonder whether Fractal commissioned the developer to create a software solution or if this was simply a result of it being left up to the community to sort out.
To the point of the original question here, I can’t say it really inspires me with confidence in getting ongoing support commensurate with the price point of this gear.

I wonder if Fractal Audio could dump AX8-Edit and other clients for discontinued products opensource under the GPL. I don't see what kind of IP out of the Sysex protocol would be exposed by doing that, and that would play very well with JUCE (the framework I believe they built on) also being available under the GPL.

The GPL license would allow people to fork, keep patching and building for future platforms, and would prevent anyone from closing the changes.

No biggie. Don't upgrade the OS beyond the the functionality of the app. If and when it won't function in a future OS: Just pick up an old PC laptop or macbook (if you don't already have one) on the cheap and put AX8 Edit on it for editing the AX8 years down the road. Less of a PITA than keeping a Pentium II with floppy disks on hand for running Diskmix automation on your vintage SSL or Otari Console.

Last edited:
... and I note that software support for the MFC has just been dropped. Feels like I just purchased the thing.

IAs was pointed out above, MFC-Edit was never a Fractal Audio product but it was offered in our store. More importantly, support was not dropped; sales were discontinued.

I'm sorry but its still unclear to me, does the AX8 Edit work on Mac OS Catalina or not? I've been holding back from updating for a while now. thanks

Can you help me understand why the ax8 edit format will download to my computer but none of the functions work, have tried to figure this out for a week now...

Back
Top Bottom