Bug? AX8-Edit Communication time-out:

modulo

Got that message today:
AX8-Edit was unable to complete the following communication request: Query device version : query_sys_info

Strange?
change cable, tried on Pc on Win7 and Mac El Capitan, worked fine yesterday.

Don't know what to do now?

Got that message today:
AX8-Edit was unable to complete the following communication request: Query device version : query_sys_info

Strange?
change cable, tried on Pc on Win7 and Mac El Capitan, worked fine yesterday.

Don't know what to do now?

I had this also many times hwen connected to my Macbook....
Very frustrating because i always had to restart the AX8

YMMV: Same here on MacOS X 10.9.5 - Could not get the 'after firmware refresh' to succeed no matter the cables I tried: Always getting time-out error... where I only got that issue one or twice since March BUT when I moved to a blank preset... it just went smooth

I am on FW 4.01 AX8 edit 1.4.2 using a Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6. Everything working fine using USB direct to the Macbook, i.e. no hub. Last night I backed everything up before downloading some paid for AX8 presets. Everything went without a hitch. However I am now getting time out errors when trying to connect to both AX8 edit and Fractal Bot. It seems to work by unplugging the usb and restarting the AX8, sometimes it just works, but often does not. It's not the USB cable and this started happening immediately after loading the presets. I will probably contact the supplier of the presets to see if any one else has had this issue, but I can't imagine why these presets would cause this so it may just be a coincidence.

I am on FW 4.01 AX8 edit 1.4.2 using a Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6. Everything working fine using USB direct to the Macbook, i.e. no hub. Last night I backed everything up before downloading some paid for AX8 presets. Everything went without a hitch. However I am now getting time out errors when trying to connect to both AX8 edit and Fractal Bot. It seems to work by unplugging the usb and restarting the AX8, sometimes it just works, but often does not. It's not the USB cable and this started happening immediately after loading the presets. I will probably contact the supplier of the presets to see if any one else has had this issue, but I can't imagine why these presets would cause this so it may just be a coincidence.
Check to see if Chrome, or any other application that supports MIDI, is running on your computer. The AX8 only supports one MIDI connection, and other applications that can grab that MIDI port can interfere. I would start there anyway.

Check to see if Chrome, or any other application that supports MIDI, is running on your computer. The AX8 only supports one MIDI connection, and other applications that can grab that MIDI port can interfere. I would start there anyway.

Thanks for the reply Joe. I don't use Chrome and don't think there was anything else running that supports MIDI. The good news is that tonight I can't get it to fail at all. I have just updated the Mac OS to Sierra so maybe that's helped. No idea really but it all seems to be working so it's all good :)

I'm seeing this pretty often now too. I'm on the FW 5.01 beta and the latest AX8 Edit using a MacBook with OS X 10.12.1. I'm not using Chrome or any other MIDI devices and it's not the cable. Using the same cable I am not seeing timeouts with my FX8 and FX8 Edit. Restarting the AX8 without the USB cable seems to work (not sure if unplugging the cable really makes a difference). It is frustrating.

I've suffered this problem for a while now too. The solution I've found is it to unplug USB from the AX8, turn it off, restart AX8-Edit, replug the USB into the AX8 and then turn the AX8 back on. Not ideal, I know, but it's worked every time.

I'm having similar issues. Used to be able to plug my AX8 into my USB hub. Ever since 5.0, no dice. Tried different cables, nothing works. I have to run directly into my iMac, and even then I sometimes get timeout errors. The USB hub works fine with every other device I own.

I still have connection problem with AX8 and AX8-Edit (Mac Book Sierra).
1) I need to oper AX8 Edit before swtich on AX8 otherwise connection doesn't estabilished
2) Sometime occurse timeout error and I need to log out my user and login. If I try to kill the app the problem still remain

Last edited:
New user, new unit, current software,...I had 2 problems, 1> get it to connect at all, 2> get past the timeout.
Finding this thread was very helpful Unplugging the USB from the AX8 caused it to finally connect, however, then the time-out surfaced. This would not resolve until I closed EDIT, turned the AX8 off, opened EDIT, then turned on the AX8. This worked. This thread does not give me hope that it won't recur.

Back
Top Bottom