AX8 Drives

Ok got it. Thank you very much. Thats a lot of control. Not sure if Im worthy!!!
Hahaha, just for that, I'm watching Wayne's World this weekend :)
I think you should use them to "open up" or sort of hold back a distortion model. With the pre-Q5 blocks I used to raise the hicut on the TS models but now I like them more as-is. Just my two cents!
Cheers

Yes, the filter knob has been modeled but it works backwards.
Hmm, ive played the Original RAT for 15 years. The filter does NOT interact with the Volume and Distortion as a real RAT pedal. You can come close to a RAT setting with medium overdrive. If u want to Max the tone and volume and set the Distortion to below 1 to get att compressed clean sound like with a real pedal your out of luck. U have to do that in a whole diffrent way on the Fractal.

Hmm, ive played the Original RAT for 15 years. The filter does NOT interact with the Volume and Distortion as a real RAT pedal. You can come close to a RAT setting with medium overdrive. If u want to Max the tone and volume and set the Distortion to below 1 to get att compressed clean sound like with a real pedal your out of luck. U have to do that in a whole diffrent way on the Fractal.

I'm working on this for the next release. We didn't model the condition of Drive set very low because we thought no one would ever use it that way. It will be an exact response in the next release.

I'm working on this for the next release. We didn't model the condition of Drive set very low because we thought no one would ever use it that way. It will be an exact response in the next release.
Yea...that kinda made me blink when I turned pedal drive down only to have volume disappear. I often like to use the amp's distortion and use the pedal like a "pedal flavored" filter block to make the amp cut on the solo.

This is a really interesting thread - after about 3 weeks with the AX8 the drives were the only effect I hadn't really delved into - partially because the amps and cabs sound so good and partially because the drive models just didn't hit my ears as 'immediate, punchy, dynamic' as my analog boxes.
Then I realized that the amp drive is so much better sounding overall, especially sitting in a mix vs. using a pedal and miking an amp. When I did an actual A/B comparison through a real amp w/ the power / cab modeling turned off I have to say...they sound sound pretty damn good. The one shortcoming for me is def in the volume knob interaction - the models just don't clean up the same way. I doubt I'll be using the drives much to be honest but that's because I'm getting such great tones from the amp models.

I might give it a go and set my scenes with amp drive instead of pedals, because I'm not totally happy with some of the sounds.
Thanks.

I might give it a go and set my scenes with amp drive instead of pedals, because I'm not totally happy with some of the sounds.
Thanks.
Yep - with the exception of the new Timmothy pedal inclusion in the latest firmware which I have liked playing with this last 2 weeks, I mostly just use the amp drive. If I want a bit more gain and sustain for a solo, I use the 'Y' amp and bump up the gain a bit, maybe add some more mids, and add a small amount of compression in the actual amp block under the dynamics tab. I set 'Out Comp Type' to feedback, and set 'Out Comp Amount' somewhere between 0.69 asnf 1.86.

I also think the drives are very good. I just got a Xitone cabinet and EVERYTHING sounds a lot better. Makes a huge difference what you're playing through.

I hate to drag this thread out of the freezer but I still don't think the drives on the ax8 cut the mustard. The new shimmer drive is ok. I like the Blues OD with the treble down to zero, but I honestly can't hear the improvement in the drives since Q5. Fractal is doing a great job of everything else but the drives are lacking. C'mon fractal. A lot of us are still using clean amps as backline. We need good drives. Otherwise back to the GT100 for me. I dont think think anyone can disagree that the Gt100 drives are better than the Ax8 drives?

I hate to drag this thread out of the freezer but I still don't think the drives on the ax8 cut the mustard. The new shimmer drive is ok. I like the Blues OD with the treble down to zero, but I honestly can't hear the improvement in the drives since Q5. Fractal is doing a great job of everything else but the drives are lacking. C'mon fractal. A lot of us are still using clean amps as backline. We need good drives. Otherwise back to the GT100 for me. I dont think think anyone can disagree that the Gt100 drives are better than the Ax8 drives?

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but to say we don't have good drives is to me...we'll, a little too abrasive and not really true. I think the drives are really good. However, I will agree they haven't changed much to me either since they were updated. They worked for me in the past, they work good now.

I'd definitely recommend getting rid of the clean amp and get a power amp. Or, go out of your AX8 to return on the effects loop of your amp for best results. Using a drive into a clean amp is almost always a recipe for the sound of ass. I've been doing this stuff for over 30+ years. I can count 3-4 times where an amp on clean sounded good with any type of drive going into it.

If you don't want to use the AX8 like I mentioned above and you're hell bent on using your amp on clean setting..use the GT100 and enjoy your tone.

I have found I like the drive block after the amp block instead of before it like you would in a traditional amp set up I think it sounds cleaner with less fuz for lack of a better word

Using a drive into a clean amp is almost always a recipe for the sound of ***. I've been doing this stuff for over 30+ years. I can count 3-4 times where an amp on clean sounded good with any type of drive going into it.

Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you. And it's not flattering.
I'm siding slightly with Danny.

It also depends on what your definition of "drive" is. If you're expecting the "amp in a box" pedal in front of a clean amp to sound just as good as a dirty amp...you're fooling yourself.

Drives have their place. They're good for beefing up a clean tone (like the Fulltone Catalyst or Klon). They're good for tightening up a metal amp (TS808 in front of a Dual Rec or 5150).

It all comes down to application and genre.

I grew up playing an actual Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Simul Class amp that I bought from the factory the year they came out that I still have to this day. I always wondered why people used "drives" in front of their amps...a great amp really doesn't need a drive in front or anywhere else for my tastes...I want to hear the actual amp and guitar. Having said that there are some mighty fine guitarists out there who love them, but a drive should never be a substitute for a great pre-amp section in my humble opinion.

I grew up playing an actual Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Simul Class amp that I bought from the factory the year they came out that I still have to this day. I always wondered why people used "drives" in front of their amps...a great amp really doesn't need a drive in front or anywhere else for my tastes...I want to hear the actual amp and guitar. Having said that there are some mighty fine guitarists out there who love them, but a drive should never be a substitute for a great pre-amp section in my humble opinion.
I've always wondered the exact same thing. I much prefer a straight amp thumping. And I'd kill for that Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+.

Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you. And it's not flattering.

In keeping with with the theme of this thread, yes the drives are still the worst part of fractal.

Really dude? You know everything about me because I have had bad experiences with distortion boxes into amps using clean settings and shared my experience? And because I like the drive blocks?

I think it's obvious you know nothing about me nor anything else to come on here and cop a tude with me when firstly, I wasn't even talking to you and shared personal experiences as well as my opinion...and secondly, if you knew so much about me, you'd know that if you talked like that to me in-person you would find me even less flattering.

What did I do to you to reply like that? Sorry, the majority of amps I've used over the years in clean mode with distortion boxes have sounded horrible.

If I offended you with that comment, please get over yourself and accept that your opinion is just that and I don't share your view.

If you really knew anything about me...you'd know that I've shared quite a bit with this community and have helped several people behind the scenes as well.. But don't take it from me...you know everything about me.

Well know this and add it to your "know everything about you" list....if you're ever in need and I can help you, I will ignore every post you ever make in the future. How's that for flattering? Keep burning bridges with that mouth of yours...it makes you sound really intelligent. :-/

The hands plus the drive equals the sound. That's how I hear it. I think this sort of explains why there's such varied experience across the guitar universe. I know guys who use a stock Boss OD-1 and sound amazing and others who use a Klon and sound...well, not amazing. I'm not dissing the Klon by the way. I think the right drive is the one your hands actually feel best playing. Everybody's opinion is so utterly equal in terms of what a good drive sound alike. I always enjoy finding out what different players use because it's so random. I'm like "dammmm this guy sounds incredible! Dude what's your drive sound? A Digitech Bad Monkey? No shit!"

Ultimately people who understand gain staging or intuitively set things at the right levels to work together i.e. pick attack, pickup height, volume knob, buffer, input gain, eq, drive, eq...there are sweet spots to be had with almost any gear of you get the many points of gain in your signal chain right.

Last edited:
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but to say we don't have good drives is to me...we'll, a little too abrasive and not really true. I think the drives are really good. However, I will agree they haven't changed much to me either since they were updated. They worked for me in the past, they work good now.

I'd definitely recommend getting rid of the clean amp and get a power amp. Or, go out of your AX8 to return on the effects loop of your amp for best results. Using a drive into a clean amp is almost always a recipe for the sound of ***. I've been doing this stuff for over 30+ years. I can count 3-4 times where an amp on clean sounded good with any type of drive going into it.

If you don't want to use the AX8 like I mentioned above and you're hell bent on using your amp on clean setting..use the GT100 and enjoy your tone.

Hey Danny

I appreciate the post. You pull a great sound out of the box and are an inspiration to us all.

I dont mean to be abrasive. I just feel that when I originally posted this, the talk of the update to the drives in Q5 took the heat out of this discussion but the reality is that that not much has really changed in Driveland, as you point out. The drives aren't aren't bad and they are usable, they just dont match my pedals which include Fulltone OCD, Wampler Plexi even Boss OD3. All those pedals sound really good into a clean amp. I like that sound. Im a classic rock guy, more rolling stones than Metallica. More Black Crowes than Black Sabbath!

I have all options available to me and use them all. I love the AX8 into a power amp. Ive also used it with great success in FRFR. All good.

Everyone keeps telling me here to forget the Drives and use the amp models. I get all that and agree the amp models are the best available anywhere. But not many here seem to get what Im actually saying. I am a touring guitarist and use backline amps. My bread and better is to work off a clean bass. I cant tour a FRFR and cant rely on having great gear at the venue. And the drives should be great for the amount of money this unit costs and the awesomeness of everything else in the box. For me its stops the AX8 from being a one stop shop and has me back using different gear for different applications.

I did play around with using the amps as pedals , with some luck, and will continue to go deeper down that path. Its just not as intuitive and simple as switching on a drive.

All good. Dont want to start any fights. I just wish they developers would put the same attention into the drives as they do the amp models. Just till they get them right. Everything else on the AX8 is great.

Back
Top Bottom