AX8 driver not loading at times

Wildwind

Experienced
This might be a PC question, actually. But maybe someone knows the answer.

Long-time Axe-Fx player, new AX8 player.

About 1/3 of the time, the PC does not recognize the AX8 when I turn it on. No audible confirmation and AX8Edit won't connect. Rebooting fixes it every time, but as I often have a few pages open (works in progress, but nothing big), I'd prefer to not reboot. I ran my Axe-Fx for years like this and never had this happen. I know these are different beasts.

It's just an annoyance, but I'm hoping someone can clue me. Running a PC with Win7 (always updated), huge HD and lots of memory. It's a commercial-grade Dell. The AX8 has done this from the start, so it's nothing I've done to it lately.

Thanks for any advice! I am loving the AX8! Fractal rocks!

This might be a PC question, actually. But maybe someone knows the answer.

Long-time Axe-Fx player, new AX8 player.

About 1/3 of the time, the PC does not recognize the AX8 when I turn it on. No audible confirmation and AX8Edit won't connect. Rebooting fixes it every time, but as I often have a few pages open (works in progress, but nothing big), I'd prefer to not reboot. I ran my Axe-Fx for years like this and never had this happen. I know these are different beasts.

It's just an annoyance, but I'm hoping someone can clue me. Running a PC with Win7 (always updated), huge HD and lots of memory. It's a commercial-grade Dell. The AX8 has done this from the start, so it's nothing I've done to it lately.

Thanks for any advice! I am loving the AX8! Fractal rocks!
The most common cause of this is Chrome, or some other application that automatically opens USB MIDI ports. Just closing the browser does not shut Chrome down. You must hunt it down in the system tray, and terminate it there. Unlike the AxeFx, the AX8 uses the standard MIDI driver in Windows. Additionally, the AX8 only supports one MIDI connection at a time. So, if some other application opens the port, you're not going to connect with the editor until you terminate that application.

Thanks Joe. That makes perfect sense - the way you put it. I would not have figured that out. I do run Chrome and do understand about the MIDI driver. I will try that next time it fails to load. I'm sure that's the fix. Much appreciated!

I have the best luck with AX-8 edit if it is open and the usb is connected to the unit before powering on the AX-8.

Thanks! I will try that! Last night it behaved. It does seem to get worse the longer between reboots, which makes sense. It's the weekend, so it will get heavy use and I'm sure I'll have a chance to try these things.

This happened to me as well. I remembered the chrome topic and it's been working fine ever since. Hopefully it's that simple for you as well.

Okay, revisiting today. This problem is getting worse for some reason. Rarely can I just get AX8 Edit to load without rebooting. And i'm not understanding what Joe said above as to how to disable whatever to make this work. Any help? Don't write too fast as I'm busy rebooting. Again!

i have the same issue and even if I terminate chrome (taskkill /im chrome.exe /f) the problem persists. What I find is that the USB driver either in the PC or in the AX8 is flakey. What will periodically happen is that windows continually connects and then disconnects the USB port and I'll hear the little chime as it disconnects and another chime as it reconnects and this will happen continuously until I either reboot the PC or just unplug the USB cable. VERY ANNOYING. Powering down and up the ax8 does not fix the problem.

This did not happen on the axefx ii.

Back
Top Bottom