AX8 does Grateful Dead

rp911

Inspired
I just took my new AX8 out for a couple of gigs with my Grateful Dead cover band. Here's a sample of a tune called Let it Grow.

I run the AX8 direct to FOH, using an Atomic CLR Neo wedge onstage and nothing else. I also run the Garcia-style guitar onboard effects loop with the AX8 using the other set of inputs to send the pickup signal through the effects blocks and am able to switch those in and out of my signal via a toggle on the guitar, which works real well.

I am the lefty lead guitar player : )

Will post another one soon where I used the Mutron effects block I put together.

One of my fav Dead songs. You guys sound great!

I'd love to check out your preset as well. I've been using iaresee's Trey patch which also works pretty well for the Dead with a little tweaking, but you really nail the Jerry sound.

Beautiful replica Tiger too. Also wondering who built it?

@rp911 -- sounds fantastic! Did some acoustic Dead in Sausalito on Sunday with with the AX8 and it worked great. I got all excited when I saw "The Cannery" -- thought you might be down in Monterey Bay. Oh well. If you're ever in San Francisco area and want to sit in on some Dead tracks we do a bunch with my band, in our own style, and love a guest or three at our gigs.

I also want to know who made your guitar! :D

And if you want to swap patch notes...

I like to think Jerry would have been a Fractal user. His pursuit for that "high def" sound would have been so easy to realize with this magic little box. At least...that's what I tell myself.

I'd love to check out your preset as well. I've been using iaresee's Trey patch which also works pretty well for the Dead with a little tweaking, but you really nail the Jerry sound.
I have a Jerry patch that, with the middle pick up of a Strat is pretty...uh...Jerry. :)

You can get the patch here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3802

You can get the IR here: http://www.tylergrund.com/patches/JBL_E130_SM57_C.syx

You can discuss this sound here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/jerry.106370/

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the kind words! I have not posted my Jerry preset just yet, I'm still dialing it in since the move to the AX8 from the AxeFX 2. However, the basics are the Double Verb amp, spring reverb, and the IR that Jay Mitchell helped me make of my own 2X12 open back Hard Truckers cabinet loaded with JBL E-120 speakers back in 2008. That IR is floating around but I can post it if it's not easily findable.

It's also important to recognize how Garcia had his Twin Reverb set up, which was typically with the treble almost cranked and the bass almost all the way off. That really helps the guitar sit in the mix.

The preset itself is dependent on having a guitar with the DiMarzio pickups, onboard effects loop setup and unity gain buffer that Garcia used. It doesn't really sound right without that combination.

The guitar's effects loop sends the signal out from the pickups to the effects at full strength, then comes back into the guitar where it hits the volume pot, and you can toggle the effects in or out of the signal path. This basically makes the guitar's volume pot function as a master volume when you are using effects. While this is the antithesis of using the volume control to be expressive with, say, an overdrive, it does allow you to set the sweet spot on your effects and never adjust them, whic is great if you want to use an envelope filter (like a Mutron) or having your overdrive sound be identical whether the guitar volume is on 2 or 10. You can always plug the main output of the guitar into a pedal between it and the amp, too. Come to think of it, you can do that in the AX8 depending on where you deploy the effects loop.

The preset has all the effects Garcia typically used -- octave, Mutron, phaser, overdrive and delay, plus a 6 db volume boost, all controllable from the guitar.

Will post a video tomorrow of a song using the Mutron patch I worked on, and the particulars of that. Again, it works great with the effects loop, so it will take some dialing in to use it on a conventional guitar.

Speaking of guitars, that guitar was built for me in 2007 by a builder in Florida. It's a good looking guitar, but they made a fundamental error in placing the bridge in the wrong spot, so I had to have it drilled out and replaced with ebony plugs, then redrilled and placed in the correct spot so the guitar would intonate correctly. (Actually, I had Garcia's luthier do that part and also rewire the guitar.) So, I would not recommend the original builder. They made the same mistake on at least two other guitars that I'm aware of. Yikes.

IIRC, he also rolled off the tone control on the guitar to get that fat midrange. I'll have to look for your cab IR... or if you can post it along w/ the preset that would be sweet. There used to be a D120 in the factory cabs that really had a nice tone and breakup for Jerry tones but it was removed a while back ;-(

Too bad about the guitar but I'm glad you were able to get it dialed in. (Did Doug Irwin work on it? Nice.) I've thought about getting one and have talked to a couple of luthiers I've found on line that build replicas. But I don't play a lot of Dead right now (2 or 3 songs in one of my bands) so either my Strats or 513 do the job nicely enough.

I did not change any of those parameters ... just put the E120s in the cabinet block and adjusted the Twin to taste. It gets real close ... the correct pickups help, for sure.

I did not change any of those parameters ... just put the E120s in the cabinet block and adjusted the Twin to taste. It gets real close ... the correct pickups help, for sure.

I've got a DiMarzio SD that I bought in the 70's that is good for GD tones. I move that pup into different guitars all the time. Right now it's living in my San Dimas Charvel setup with a Floyd.

I use a 70's Strat with Kinman pups on the middle position for my Dead stuff.

What amp model?

I tried all the Twins and ended up with the Double Verb SF.

In all cases with your IR, I thought Bass at 5 was actually bass shy?

I ended up with the Treble on 6 and everything else in the tone stack on 5. Treble above 6 got really harsh.

I lowered transformer match and added 2.5 of proximity.

Hey All,

Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead.

Searched around but I haven't been able to dig up this JBL E120 cab IR.

I would be grateful if anyone could share it!!

You are a saint and a scholar!

I have 2 GD patches on my list right now.

A squeaky clean Jerry patch running on a CA3+ Clean.
These JBLs are spot on for that sound!
The E120 is suuuper flat. I have been using the 130, shared earlier in the thread, for a while and it is boomy even with a low cut.
Solid combo. Phaser and Mutron jump out perfectly!!

Falling in love with a Dead and Company John Mayer set up right now.
Very clean and tight Dumble Mod with G12H speakers.
Crazy touch sensitive and great with drive blocks.
Haven't found the perfect IR quite yet...

Back
Top Bottom