AX8 does Grateful Dead -- Mutron III effect

Hey OP, thanks for the settings. Tried it with a Strat, passive mid-output pickups and worked great w no tweaking.

By the way, the on-board effects loop sounds intriguing! ...never heard of that.

Just saw Dead and Co in Chicago and have gotten off into learning Dead tunes I vaguely know better. Slow to realize what great web video stuff is out there that makes some of the technique much more obvious that I'd realized before. Set a wah similar to this with drive pedal after and the amount of shading possible is blowing my mind. Your settings are a great starting point for a good autowah which can be really hard to do well. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Thanks for the kind words, rarely check in here these days, it works too well for me to have questions.

What speaker cab IR in the AX8 best duplicates Jerry's cabs??

Love this mutron setting by the way!

Thanks

Here are the AxeFX 2 IRs for an open back 2X12 JBL E-120 cabinet similar to Garcia's, and also a similar 2X10 with JBL K-110s. The K-110s sound sweeter but the E-120s are what you want to cut through the mix and get closer to the right tone live.

These were the cabs ... I would redo the IRs at a higher resolution but unfortunately no longer own them. I may have the original sweep recordings somewhere if anyone is interested in working on it. But they sound pretty good to me.

hardtruckers.jpg

Attachments

• k110axe2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 65
  • e120axe2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the kind words, rarely check in here these days, it works too well for me to have questions.

Here are the AxeFX 2 IRs for an open back 2X12 JBL E-120 cabinet similar to Garcia's, and also a similar 2X10 with JBL K-110s. The K-110s sound sweeter but the E-120s are what you want to cut through the mix and get closer to the right tone live.

These were the cabs ... I would redo the IRs at a higher resolution but unfortunately no longer own them. I may have the original sweep recordings somewhere if anyone is interested in working on it. But they sound pretty good to me.

hardtruckers.jpg

Hi and thanks for this thread!
I downloaded and installed the MuTronIII block referenced earlier in the thread and liked it immediately!

I tried to install these cab blocks into my AX8 but got error messages (bad checksum). I'm relatively new to AX8 and wonder if there is something I missed or a conversion somewhere to get these to work with the AX8.

Thanks for any help

Can I tweak this and get something similar with the FX8 on Bass???

Just got one and the user guide is deep and I'm gonna do my best to not get frustrated and figure this beast out!!

Thanks to the OP for the settings! Lots of fun! Tried it tonight at band practice. (We don't play any Dead btw)
Excellent tone. Tried it with a Dumble model. I've never even used an auto wah before. Gnarly!

I know this post was from a few years ago, but really glad I found it. Loving the envelope filter settings for the most part. I have a Qtron as well and I’m finding I’m having the same problem with this envelope filter I had with the Q. The high sweep? part of the filter Is so loud it blasts me ear drums with certain notes. It’s very sensitive. Is this a technique issue or is there a setting that can be tweaked?
Anyone have this issue and find a way to resolve it?

Try a compressor after the Wah block to try to tame the highs a bit. I haven't had the same issue but that should help - you'll have to experiment to find the right setting that just catches the peaks.

Another option would be to lower the high frequency setting on the wah so it just doesn't peak as much - I have to do this w/ most of the wah models when I'm using a pedal.

Try a compressor after the Wah block to try to tame the highs a bit. I haven't had the same issue but that should help - you'll have to experiment to find the right setting that just catches the peaks.

Another option would be to lower the high frequency setting on the wah so it just doesn't peak as much - I have to do this w/ most of the wah models when I'm using a pedal.
Appreciate the advice. I'm messing with the settings with the Wah block and things are getting better, but still loud highs. One thing I notice with the AX8 vs. Q-tron is the consistency with different volumes. With the Q-tron I was always bending down to tweak settings, but not having to do that with the Wah block. Hmm?? Definitely enjoying this thing so far. The first two days were a bit frustrating and spent more time tweaking than playing. Today I'm getting much more playing in. Got a good Jerry tone going for those songs.

I'm having much the same problem with my Mutron block. Did you come up with anything about taming those high spikes?
It seems better. I just tweaked the settings a whole bunch. It seems to be a balance between max frequency, Slope, scale and the mid adjustment. I can post what I have them at if you’d like, but not sure if they’d work the same for you.

Very Cool! Reminds of New Years Eve at Stonybrook in the 70's. The dead and orange sunshine Barrels--What a show................You guys sound great!

It seems better. I just tweaked the settings a whole bunch. It seems to be a balance between max frequency, Slope, scale and the mid adjustment. I can post what I have them at if you’d like, but not sure if they’d work the same for you.
Thanks but I think i'm getting mine dialed in. It seems as though what works for one does not work for another. the more I weak the better I'm getting it. Also put a compressor at the end of the chain...only engage it with the wah block...that seems to be helping a lot. Thanks again.

Hello all. Sorry to dredge up an old post...but I am in need of some advice.

I am happy to say that I pulled the trigger on a used AX8 this afternoon and hope to receive it by next weekend. Amazing how a single piece of gear can change your whole perspective!

I have been faking...I mean playing...Jerry~esque Grateful Dead since I first saw them in early '80. @rp911: I was pretty blown away by the tasty sounds and nice licks coming from your guitar...AND your AX8. Was very impressed; you got a good band.

This was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the AX8. I was first in the market for a Kemper. I looked at and listened to various Tube vids of anyone playing a Kemper doing the Dead. And I heard a few really good ones. But there were a couple of things that just wouldn't work for me. I also found out that it lacked the "tweakability" I so crave. I didn't really look into the AX8 until found a post link to "Playing Dead" on this forum. I knew that AXE FX stuff was well beyond the rest of the field so I didn't expect to be able to afford it and I really needed a floor unit...I found one for just under $900, in excellent condition. I tried to convince myself that I didn't need such a magnificent piece of gear and spend the better part of yesterday tweaking my current set up to the point that I realized I can do all this with an AX8!

I sold my Jerry rig years ago; the rack alone weight over 400lbs. Started with guitar software (Bias FX, AmpliTube, etc.), then up'd it to professional plugins and REAPER. I was playing thru my Macbook Pro, Audio Interface and a foot controller output to a powered Alto Trouper. This did the trick for a few years as I was only playing with friends in small settings. I couldn't commit to anything more due to work constraints - mostly 75% travel. Well Covid-19 killed the work issue and having my MBP go down 2x over the last year pushed me to consider alternatives.

Finding this post was sort of a God-send for me.

Sorry for the long-winded preface. I am reaching out to anyone, in advance, in hopes that I might get some pointers and some insights on how your are using your blocks (things like CC on delays, CV control on auto-wah, stereo pan, etc.). I am sure I will deep dive them eventually, but I would really appreciate a place to start. Not sure of the learning curve as I am versed with processors, but any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any presets or block transfers would also be great though I have no idea how such a thing is done. I am a pre-noob; I don't even have my unit yet :D

Hello all. Sorry to dredge up an old post...but I am in need of some advice.

I am happy to say that I pulled the trigger on a used AX8 this afternoon and hope to receive it by next weekend. Amazing how a single piece of gear can change your whole perspective!

I have been faking...I mean playing...Jerry~esque Grateful Dead since I first saw them in early '80. @rp911: I was pretty blown away by the tasty sounds and nice licks coming from your guitar...AND your AX8. Was very impressed; you got a good band.

This was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the AX8. I was first in the market for a Kemper. I looked at and listened to various Tube vids of anyone playing a Kemper doing the Dead. And I heard a few really good ones. But there were a couple of things that just wouldn't work for me. I also found out that it lacked the "tweakability" I so crave. I didn't really look into the AX8 until found a post link to "Playing Dead" on this forum. I knew that AXE FX stuff was well beyond the rest of the field so I didn't expect to be able to afford it and I really needed a floor unit...I found one for just under $900, in excellent condition. I tried to convince myself that I didn't need such a magnificent piece of gear and spend the better part of yesterday tweaking my current set up to the point that I realized I can do all this with an AX8!

I sold my Jerry rig years ago; the rack alone weight over 400lbs. Started with guitar software (Bias FX, AmpliTube, etc.), then up'd it to professional plugins and REAPER. I was playing thru my Macbook Pro, Audio Interface and a foot controller output to a powered Alto Trouper. This did the trick for a few years as I was only playing with friends in small settings. I couldn't commit to anything more due to work constraints - mostly 75% travel. Well Covid-19 killed the work issue and having my MBP go down 2x over the last year pushed me to consider alternatives.

Finding this post was sort of a God-send for me.

Sorry for the long-winded preface. I am reaching out to anyone, in advance, in hopes that I might get some pointers and some insights on how your are using your blocks (things like CC on delays, CV control on auto-wah, stereo pan, etc.). I am sure I will deep dive them eventually, but I would really appreciate a place to start. Not sure of the learning curve as I am versed with processors, but any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any presets or block transfers would also be great though I have no idea how such a thing is done. I am a pre-noob; I don't even have my unit yet :D
Welcome and fyi, Ian aka @iaresee, one of moderators has posted some dead presets. His band , well the one that does the dead stuff is really good. You'll have to search. He is easy to find he's a moderator and he also liked your post. You can search. AX8 is a killer!

Thank you very much for your reply! Didn't expect it so soon on a Sunday evening :p. I will certainly search. @iaresee And thank you as well! I did a lot of research and a lot of soul search. What it really came down to was whether I wanted a modeler or a profiler. As stated, I am a gear tweak junkie. I used to spend hours dialing in a reverb (I miss my Real Tube Reverb) while blaring the song through our studio monitors in our main recording room. The rest of the guys where like "Dude, who the f**k is gonna be able to tell the difference?". Me, obviously. ;D

I am really looking forward to this stage in my musical journey. Almost feel like a kid at Christmas again :D

Back
Top Bottom