AX8 does Grateful Dead -- Mutron III effect

Man always dug your sound and playing from years ago..funny about the Line 6 comment, now just get your Bobby to convert to fractal!.

I loaded this up yesterday and it sounded great! Might have to add Shakedown or Bertha to our setlist! Thanks!

Settings absolutely nail it, thank you for sharing...
The guys are going to love this on the gigs this weekend

Ever tried to dial in the Mutron tone Jerry finds in Dancin' in the Streets? Classic example is May 8, 1977 at Cornell (the show of all shows:). It's been hard for me to find that tone - love to hear any ideas!

That's just a Mutron with the drive reversed so it opens the envelope with a lighter touch and closes with a harder touch. Same set up, reverse the min and max values, adjust the curve and dial in the other parameters as needed. I use this when we do that mid 70s Dancing. It has to live on a different preset because there is only one Wah block available.

What speaker cab IR in the AX8 best duplicates Jerry's cabs??

Love this mutron setting by the way!

Thanks

Thanks man!!! Sounds great!!

Is that a PRS in your avatar, I have been amazed on the Jerry tones I have pulled from an 06 custom 22 (bridge pickup) and the SF twin and C212 ir

Thanks for the lead!

Any others?

EDIT--- saw the PRS in you signature... Was so pumped I didn't think to look!?!?

I've been playing around with this for a week or two now and really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks man!!! Sounds great!!

Is that a PRS in your avatar, I have been amazed on the Jerry tones I have pulled from an 06 custom 22 (bridge pickup) and the SF twin and C212 ir

Thanks for the lead!

Any others?

EDIT--- saw the PRS in you signature... Was so pumped I didn't think to look!?!?
Yea. That's a '95 Standard 24 but the Jerry clip was recorded with my '94 Schecter Strat on the middle pickup. I don't usually play the Strat live because the pickups are noisy. These days I mostly play my PRS Hollowbody and the Standard is there as a backup.

Hollowbody sounds good, but different. I don't dial in a Jerry tone for live work -- I'm more of a Trey Anastasio fan boy. But we cover some Dead and it works for those covers.

Yep, I use the same cab. There used to be a D120 in the factory set that I really dug, but it went away some number of FW ago...

Not really... He says he dials it in so it opens easily over the fretboard, that means the threshold mainly, but no setting for Attack & Release (which are extremely important for the feel of the Wah)...?
That's because those settings are going to highly guitar and style specific. You have to feel your way to what's correct for you with those settings.

Here's my Grateful Dead band the other night. I used the AX8 direct to FOH with just a CLR monitor in front of me. This is an example of me using the envelope filter block I created to emulate a Mutron III -- a signature part of Garcia's sound.

If you don't want to enjoy (suffer through) the whole tune, skip ahead to 7:15 or so, that's the start of the jam at the end of the tune where you can get a good idea of how it sounds (although I use it during the entire song).

This works really well for me because I have an onboard effects loop in the guitar, which send the signal hot from the pickups out to the Fractal where it hits the effects blocks. It then exits the Fractal and comes back into the guitar where it goes to my volume pot. The signal then exits the guitar and back into the Fractal to hit the amp, speaker and reverb blocks. This basically turns the guitar's volume pot into more of a master volume (or volume pedal) so the effects can be set at their sweet spots independent of where I have the volume on the guitar. It works brilliantly for the envelope filter, which is so dependent on the volume.

I set the envelope so it opens easily all over the fretboard and then adjust my touch to open and close it the way I want to.

Not sure how to export the block itself but here are the parameters. It requires some pretty intensive tweaking based on your own guitar (mine also has a unity gain buffer), so it's maybe better to do from scratch, and it's not complicated.

The block is a Wah block, using the Clyde type.

Frequency min: 177 Hz
Frequency max: 2400 Hz
(these are based on the Mutron III specs)

Drive: 0
Fat: 0.78
Tracking 9.13

Now the important part, the Control. Set the modifier as follows:

Source: Envelope
Auto Engage: Off
PC Reset: Off
Min: 0
Max: 10
Start: 0%
Mid: 24.9%
End: 100%

Slope: 85.6%
Scale: 2.158
Offset: 62%
Damping: 6 ms
Off Value: 5%

The key to dialing this in to your specific guitar, I have found, is adjusting the midpoint and the slope of the little graph you can see in the window. As you vary your pick attack you can follow the little ball to adjust it so the filter is opening and closing how you want it to.

For MY specific guitar, the slope looks like this:

slope.png

If you're having trouble getting it to open, you can put a filter right in front of the block to push up the guitar's output some. I had to do that in the AxeFX II to make it work right, but did not need to in the AX8. But again, I have the effects loop thing happening, so your setup may be completely different.

Have fun!

Thanks for sharing @rp911 :D
and was added to Italian forum
here :)

Back
Top Bottom