AX8 does Grateful Dead -- Mutron III effect

Haven't been on here in a loooong time ... but glad folks are still digging my envelope filter. This is a clip of the current iteration from an outdoor gig last summer -- that's a lefty Matt Moriarty Wolf guitar straight into the AX8 and straight out to the board. I use an Atomic CLR Neo onstage.

This was one of the last shows we played before the lockdown happened ... if you go to about 1 hour 16 minutes in you can hear the filter with the parameters reversed (this would be like changing the drive button on a real Mutron from up to down). Requires some tweaking of the slope to make it work but the harder you pick the more it goes "thunk" (closes instead of opens). That's a version of the 76-81 take on Dancin' in the Streets the Dead used to do, including the cool diminished chord jam toward the end. The whole show was also a lefty Tiger guitar into the AX8 direct to the board, no other pedals, etc.

I have found that the AX8 is highly sensitive to the guitar you are using, but the basics for what I do to get the Garcia tone happening are simple ... Twin (Double Reverb) block, Plus Distortion block, the wah block to do the envelope filter as detailed earlier, pitch block to octave double, phaser, delay. Using the guitar's onboard effects loop helps tremendously, as it does with the real analog gear. Cabinet block is the old JBL E-120 IR that Jay helped me make back in 2010 or so off my real Hard Truckers 2X12 with JBL E-120s. That's floating around everywhere. Reverb is the vintage spring adjusted to taste. Middle pickup single coil 95 percent of the time, occasional bridge as a humbucker.

One really important thing about the envelope filter that I probably mentioned earlier ... your touch on the guitar has a tremendous amount to do with setting it so it will open easily all over the fretboard. Set it so it opens easily way up high on the fretboard (that is generally where it's hardest to open it), then lighten your picking touch to make it open/close correctly down on the low notes. This is where the onboard effects loop on the guitar really shines, as the envelope is seeing constant signal level from the pickups regardless of where the guitar volume is.

Have fun!

Last edited:
@rp911

Any chance you can post your amp & eq settings? Just need a pic (my usb stopped working on my AX8 so I have to program from the unit until I can get it fixed). I know you have mentioned before that the unit stays with the band equipment. Maybe next time you gig you can snap a couple of pics? I know you spent a tremedous amount of time dialing in your eq. I am not just trying to be lazy about it. I am a deep diver but try as I might, I am just not getting what I want.

In my current situation, which has been the same since the start of the pandemic, I live in an apartment and I am unable to play anywhere close to stage volume so I am having an extremely hard time trying to match my Sarno preamp at volume 1 (I even tried to 'capture' it with Bias FX software and then tried to match it via my DAW...didn't work at all).

I also have a Garcia Tribute (cheap) though nothing as gorgeous as yours. It has an OBEL and UG Buffer. I believe I can come 'close' to the quality of sound your guitar produces, so I feel your AMP/EQ settings will work or at least give me a place to start that I KNOW is accurate because I can hear it on your posts.

I absolutely love this unit. It sounds awesome, except for the fact that I can't get it to do what I bought it to do, which was the same as you, to reduce my stage footprint / mass of my current Jerry rig (well over 200lbs). I just don't have the ability, currently, to play at a volume that acurately portrays the sound of the SMS>AMP>CAB, on stage, so I can shape it on the AX8. I am hoping for some help before I finally give up entirely and by a Kemper or a QC and just sample my rig, which I really don't want to do and would be a total bummer as the FAS units have by far the best effects and ability to manipulate them over anything else currently on the market.

We
Thanks guys!

For a little non-Mutron Dead from the same show: )

I can't say enough how pleased I am with the new AX8 -- and Fractal in general -- for enabling me to get my tone condensed down into one little device and deliver it flawlessly to the house system and also give me perfect pinpoint monitoring every show, so I never have to tweak anything or worry about stage acoustics or killing the ears of anyone up front trying to hear myself over the band. I used to cart around about 150 pounds of gear to get that sound and make six trips from the car to the venue.

Only downside was some guy on Facebook said my guitar sounded great coming out of that Line 6 that the rhythm guitar player uses ; )

Well, he was half right.

Hi and thanks for this thread!
I downloaded and installed the MuTronIII block referenced earlier in the thread and liked it immediately!

I tried to install these cab blocks into my AX8 but got error messages (bad checksum). I'm relatively new to AX8 and wonder if there is something I missed or a conversion somewhere to get these to work with the AX8.

Thanks for any help
I’m having a similar issue. I’m a new user and still figuring things out. I tried dragging and dropping to ax8. Doesn’t give me any error message but just shows the cab slot empty. Tried using fractal bot to convert to ax8. Drag and drop and still shows empty. Any ideas on how to get these cabs to work on the ax8?

Back
Top Bottom