AX8 Discontinued?

“Discontinued” ??? ...sounds ominous. :0)

...the same day I noticed all these new developments - that very morning, I was admiring the screen on my AX8 - actually admiring it, thinking, “That’s just So easy to see!” ...looking at the new FM3, ..now, I’m sure the screen layout can be changed, because if not, I would never be able to see the presets in list form very easily standing up - my eyesight isn’t what it used to be.

I think I can use the FM3 as a recording tool though. AXEIII modeling at a third the price? ..just limited in headroom? ...We’ll see, but I have high hopes.

But, discontinued or not, my AX8 works fine as a daily playing and gigging unit - it didn’t suddenly become a POS because a new product came along, ...and that screen alone! “Flashy” - no. Practical? As all things AX8, Yup! :0)

The funny thing about the AX8 is it still sounds pretty incredible even though it appears to be at the end of it's life cycle. So incredible that I doubt many (if any) could tell the difference between it, an FM3, an AFXII or III in a mix. As if the music police will write you up for not using the latest, newest shiny object, or you'll be shunned by all the 'cool kids.' Sure, new products are exciting and all that, but I'm far from being done with my AX8. Even if Fractal is. YMMV

there are some guys on FB at the show after trying the FM3 in person are saying they are dumping their Ax8 as the FM3 verbs drives cabs and models sounded noticeably better , take it with a grain of salt ,and check out the comments but these are the first hands on experiences I have read

there are some guys on FB at the show after trying the FM3 in person are saying they are dumping their Ax8 as the FM3 verbs drives cabs and models sounded noticeably better , take it with a grain of salt ,and check out the comments but these are the first hands on experiences I have read
Be careful with that. For years I've read people telling that the last firmware was perfect, and after fifteen updates it really sounds silly ;)

I only mention it as they are the first ones to actually touch smell and sit down w the product , so they have a little more solid opinion of what it does sounds like etc etc

How close would you say that the AX8 or AxeFX2 sounds to a real mic'd cab? We've all been saying it's 98% or even better, at least for us who don't have high end studio pre-amps and aren't sound engineers. So if the AX III or the new FM3 is really THAT much better then we've all been fooling ourselves OR we are only talking about a slight increase and like someone posted above, you can probably do a blind test and not be able to pick out which is the AX8, which is the AXIII and which is the real amp.

I have no doubt that it probably sounds better (slightly). But until the old 'amp in the room' conundrum is solved, the AX8's technology is suitable for me. If someone can figure out how to create an IR that functions like an amp in the room thru a FRFR cab.....THAT would be something I'd be all over.

The room parameter in the cab block is in FM3. It is my impression that this is the ticket to amp in the room for many III users.

The room parameter in the cab block is in FM3. It is my impression that this is the ticket to amp in the room for many III users.

I hadn’t heard that but did follow a long thread of someone swearing they could get the amp in the room feel but barely anyone if anyone at all collaborated it. I was hoping Cliff or a Fractal employee would chime in and agree. BUT if that’s really true then that would be the reason I would make a switch to either the AXIII or FM3. It seems like that would be bigger news if that’s the case so my guess is that the parameter may help?

How close would you say that the AX8 or AxeFX2 sounds to a real mic'd cab? We've all been saying it's 98% or even better, at least for us who don't have high end studio pre-amps and aren't sound engineers. So if the AX III or the new FM3 is really THAT much better then we've all been fooling ourselves OR we are only talking about a slight increase
This. Every firmware update and hardware update, everyone talks about how it's so much more perfect than the already 100% perfect one they had a week ago. Can't be both. Don't chase the new stuff just for the sake of chasing.

I bought my AX8 last August from the shop here in New Hampshire. It's an amazing piece of gear. Between the helpful information on this forum, the wiki, and all the great user created rigs I've bought, the tones and flexibility make the AX8 a huge leap forward from the Eleven Rack I gigged for years. The change was noticeable immediately, from the first time I plugged in.

Going from the AX8 to the FM3, it may be a noticeable improvement in tone, but how much 'better'. I'm interested in learning about and hearing the FM3, but more for the recording possibilities and some of the unique effects, but it's nothing I need now. I should really be practicing right now, that's what I really need - lol. As far as sound in a live mix through a club PA, as BCy2k said, I don't know if the nuances of the tone and better detail or feel, or whatever you want to call it, would be noticeable to the average club goer seeing us play.

I feel similar to what you describe, Lerxst.

I just purchased my AX8 new last September / October, so I guess I am feeling a little bit rattled that my AX8 is so quickly yesterday's news, so-to-speak. It is still a very nice piece of gear, however, and I simply must accept that -- like any computer -- technology marches on and things become obsolete. This is very different than -- say -- a guitar.

Having said that, my AX8 -- when everything is working right -- sounds great. By "everything working right," I mean to say that the monitor is going me reasonable coverage, the sound man has things balanced out, the trumpet player is not pointed at my head, and the *other* guitarist didn't decide to bring his amp for "stage fill" and drown me out, etc., etc. I guess what I am saying is: my live sound challenges have little to do with the sonic quality of the AX8 itself, but with the challenges of live sound -- period. So.......my real question: If I up-graded to a FM3 and started using it tomorrow, would my live sound management problems be significantly lessened? Assuming not, I probably would not be able to discern subtleties in sound quality upgrading to a FM3 from a AX8. I stand ready to be surprised or corrected on this point, but I don't know that I would be able to hear any difference (between a AX8 and a FM3) in the context of a live band setting......am I wrong?

Me thinks moving to FM3 won't solve badly wired front monitors, sound man rather pleasing the singers than the guitar player, other guitar player bringing his 100W full stack to every gig, playing six horn players behind your back, stage so shallow you need to keep your self-powered speakers next to your legs, bass player or drummer -- or both -- half-deaf... And so on and so on :).

I feel similar to what you describe, Lerxst.

I just purchased my AX8 new last September / October, so I guess I am feeling a little bit rattled that my AX8 is so quickly yesterday's news, so-to-speak. It is still a very nice piece of gear, however, and I simply must accept that -- like any computer -- technology marches on and things become obsolete. This is very different than -- say -- a guitar.

Having said that, my AX8 -- when everything is working right -- sounds great. By "everything working right," I mean to say that the monitor is going me reasonable coverage, the sound man has things balanced out, the trumpet player is not pointed at my head, and the *other* guitarist didn't decide to bring his amp for "stage fill" and drown me out, etc., etc. I guess what I am saying is: my live sound challenges have little to do with the sonic quality of the AX8 itself, but with the challenges of live sound -- period. So.......my real question: If I up-graded to a FM3 and started using it tomorrow, would my live sound management problems be significantly lessened? Assuming not, I probably would not be able to discern subtleties in sound quality upgrading to a FM3 from a AX8. I stand ready to be surprised or corrected on this point, but I don't know that I would be able to hear any difference (between a AX8 and a FM3) in the context of a live band setting......am I wrong?
Wow - it almost sounds like my band, minus the issues with a trumpet player and second guitarist : ) I'll pick up the FM3 at some point, but I'm just starting to tweak the AX8 and get tones I really like that fit the 80's songs we play, so I'm not making the live rig switch anytime soon.

On the AX8, you’re on preset ‘x’, S1. From there you tap button 4 for S4, then tap button 1 for S1...two taps. Having a button per scene seems much simpler to me.

There is so much gnashing of teeth about this.

If having a dedicated button for scenes is a requirement for you, then you should consider the FC6 or FC12 as a necessary add-on, and your cost/benefit analysis of the product should include the cost of that additional controller. This isn't a design flaw, or something the engineers overlooked. You pay for what you need, you don't pay for what you don't need.

There is so much gnashing of teeth about this.

If having a dedicated button for scenes is a requirement for you, then you should consider the FC6 or FC12 as a necessary add-on, and your cost/benefit analysis of the product should include the cost of that additional controller. This isn't a design flaw, or something the engineers overlooked. You pay for what you need, you don't pay for what you don't need.
Exactly. For me, all I need is 3 scenes, so I could just set the FM3 with S1/S2 on button 1, S3 on button 2 and tuner on the third. That's rhythm, solo and clean. Why would you need anything more?

Eh, I'm going to keep my AX-8, my Axe FX II XL+ (with its MFC-101) and get an FM3.

I can only imagine being able to combine them all together in some crazy way. :)

Why would you need anything more?

So, this I cannot agree with. Some require more. Any guitarist in a prog band could tell you why this is insufficient. The point is... the FM3 as-is works great for you, and the FM3 plus an FC6 will work for somebody else.

Back
Top Bottom