AX8 Discontinued?

I agree, any guitar player could figure out how to add more switches (foot controllers, MIDI, FC-6, FC-12)....

when i play Live with the Ax8..i just use the buttons to switch scenes and occasionally a preset. Can i get away with not having another controller...i didnt do that much buttton matching...mainly 4-5 scenes a patch and once in a while i will switch patches

I don't know if this has been answered before but can the presets from AX8 be ported or transferred over to FM3 so you don't have to start completely over? Yeah, I know that's the fun of it, but I really dig my sound that I've crafted for myself. It took me almost 2 years to get there and of course I'm still tinkering. But jamming last night put a big smile on my face. AX8 is still money, babies.

I don't know if this has been answered before but can the presets from AX8 be ported or transferred over to FM3 so you don't have to start completely over? Yeah, I know that's the fun of it, but I really dig my sound that I've crafted for myself. It took me almost 2 years to get there and of course I'm still tinkering. But jamming last night put a big smile on my face. AX8 is still money, babies.
Not answerable yet, probably won’t be until @AlGrenadine gets his hands on a working unit or FW.

Then the choices are clear: Figure out how to make the new size work or find another product that does the same thing in the size you want.

OR....express other ideas that FA might see as insight into what customers might want in the future as stand alone or modular enhancements to an existing or upcoming product... :)

I agree, any guitar player could figure out how to add more switches (foot controllers, MIDI, FC-6, FC-12)....

Agreed but if you want more buttons in a similar footprint as the AX8 (and not 6" wider) and want the switches to have exactly the same functionality as the on-board switches , neither the current FC controllers or a midi controller will do it. That leaves you with the one option of a 2 button switch in the pedal input, which is great but limited to 2 buttons (assuming you need the other pedal input for an expression pedal). If you need 2 expression pedals that is not even an option.

Well, I think by now, those of us who are happy with the AX8 and love it's extra switches and the way it functions know that the FM3 is not for us. But, my AX8 is still dong the business for me and I am still more than happy with it. It has made my gigging so much easier coming from the AxeFX 2XL and the MFC Mk3 that I still have in my studio. It allowed me to still have two flight cases for my guitar sounds but the second case now carries a backup AX8. So, four flight cases including my guitars. It's perfect.
I have read all the other threads about the FM3 and I can see that for others, it's perfect for them too. If anything happens to one of my AX8, for now, I would just have to pick another up secondhand and hopefully, sometime in the future, there might be another release that will replace my AX8's as they are getting older.

want the switches to have exactly the same functionality as the on-board switches
It's been posted in a few different places now that external switches will have the same functionality as the built-in switches.

Obviously they won't have LEDs or scribble strips, but they can do the same things.

It did happen, just in a different form factor and different name. The FM3 has all of the Ares modeling and most of the effects from the Axe-Fx III. With the FC controllers, the FM3 can become an FM9, FM15 or any combination thereof.

The FM3 and FC6 together only cost $200 more than the initial price of the AX8 so my presumption is this was their thinking as the "upgrade" to the AX8.

All one has to do is go through the AX8 Wish List and look at how many boxes the FM3 check off:

Ares Modelling - Check
Tri Chorus - Check
Multi-Compressor - Check
Pitch Block from Axe-Fx III - Check
Ability to name Scenes - Check
Add Scribble Strips - Check

and so on.....

Just for the sake of total fairness: FM3's Firmware don't has ALL of the Ares options but not like it's gonna sound different. What I mean is that Cliff already stated that the FM3 FW shares the 'Core' elements of Ares, but had to cut out some deep parameters (just some of the ones you normaly use to 'mod' the original amp architecture) in order to work with the DSPs.

Only mention that because, just like the relation between AX8 and AXE FX II, there are some aspects of the firmware that are not ported. Whether you need those options or not, it's fair to know the info beforehand to avoid false expectations thinking all of the extreme amp 'tweakability' of the III is available in the FM3.

The number of switches vs. size solution is really simple. Put the FM3 on the back line, control with and FC6 and 2, 2-button external switches (which can be placed wherever desired). The statement has been made by those at Fractal Audio that external switches will have the same functionality (save scribble strips and colored LEDs) as the native switches. Presto!!! One has 10 multi-functional switches in footprint that is marginally larger than the FC6 by itself.

I've also seen long/narrow MIDI foot controllers that could be put in front of the FM3 on let's say a standard Pedalboard 2.

Just for the sake of total fairness: FM3's Firmware don't has ALL of the Ares options but not like it's gonna sound different. What I mean is that Cliff already stated that the FM3 FW shares the 'Core' elements of Ares, but had to cut out some deep parameters (just some of the ones you normaly use to 'mod' the original amp architecture) in order to work with the DSPs.

Only mention that because, just like the relation between AX8 and AXE FX II, there are some aspects of the firmware that are not ported. Whether you need those options or not, it's fair to know the info beforehand to avoid false expectations thinking all of the extreme amp 'tweakability' of the III is available in the FM3.
Didn't say it had all of the the Ares options, just that it will have all of the Ares modeling technology, in other words the full version, as the III. Not some ported portions like the AX8 and Axe Fx II.
It is possible to have the full version of something but, depending upon the form factor, not have all options available.

From the Axe Fx Wiki:

"The FM3 features ARES Amp Modeling—the latest technology developed by Fractal Audio for the award-winning Axe-Fx III".

One big deterrent here is that the FM3+FC6 is 22" long with 9 switches vs the AX8 being 16" long with 11 switches. That 6" is a big deal to many.
I'm not devaluing your stance, because your situation is your situation, and I'm right there that 22" might be too wide when they are side-to-side. I certainly like the AX-8 footprint much, much better than the 22" Helix or the even wider aircraft-carrier-sized Headrush.

But for me, as I'm often a "utility" player, the ability to split my pedalboard into two pieces and spread them out around me will be great, as I'm often playing guitar behind my keyboards (and sometimes switching within the same song), and the larger pedalboards impact my floorspace a lot. Now I can have the FM-3 on one side of my keyboards, or even off to the side a bit, and the FC-6 right next to my keyboard pedals.

I can also see situations where I'd want to use the FM-3 with my keyboards as an outboard fx processor (I do this with guitar pedals and the HX Stomp as well) and being able to have it up within reach for access to the front panel, while still having a pedalboard on the floor, seems like a really flexible solution for me.

this modular approach will allow me to put a tripod mic stand with the leg facing me directly, for the most stability, then put the FM3 on the left and the FC6 on the right of that leg, as close as possible. can't do that with a one-piece unit. very excited for this.

OR....express other ideas that FA might see as insight into what customers might want in the future as stand alone or modular enhancements to an existing or upcoming product... :)
That's all well and good should Fractal decide to do something with a different form factor in the future. Who knows, they may be working on one right now. At the moment the FM3 and FC controllers are what they're offering, therefore either adapt or pass on it.

Unless you're that restricted with space (which would mean you couldn't stand with your feet more than shoulder width apart), not buying something you know is going to be better because of the size simply doesn't make sense.

When it comes to tone, I've never let form factor or size deter me from getting and using the best available gear for my needs. My switching to the AX8 live was not out of convenience over amps and pedals, it was simply the better sounding option. Now it's the Axe-Fx III with an FC6. More to carry and setup than the AX8 but it provides a better tone which is the most important thing to me. The FM3 is going to provide another layer of versatility and flexibility either at home or on the road. If that means going back to a 32" board or two smaller boards to make it work, that's exactly what I'll do.

When it comes to tone, I've never let form factor or size deter me from getting and using the best available gear for my needs. My switching to the AX8 live was not out of convenience over amps and pedals, it was simply the better sounding option. Now it's the Axe-Fx III with an FC6. More to carry and setup than the AX8 but it provides a better tone which is the most important thing to me. The FM3 is going to provide another layer of versatility and flexibility either at home or on the road. If that means going back to a 32" board or two smaller boards to make it work, that's exactly what I'll do.

When your old, take public transportation, and play mostly at dive bars with stages where you actually have room that is less than shoulder width, then size and weight EXTREMELY matter......

I've played at many dive parts and small spaces, FM3 will fit fine, if it's even tinier space I don't think any musician should take those kinds of gigs, period.

I've played at many dive parts and small spaces, FM3 will fit fine, if it's even tinier space I don't think any musician should take those kinds of gigs, period.

There certainly are venues, stages, and audiences, where it just feels a bit more enjoyable to stay home and play lol

I’ve driven 2 hours each way to a gig, in a horrible venue where the “stage” is in a tiny corner, and there are 5 people who show up, 4 of them regulars not infested in music anyways. When all is said and done it’s like “why didn’t I just stay home”

i try not to take gigs where they've determined the amount of space needed for 3 musicians by having 3 people stand shoulder to shoulder.

oh and can you turn down too? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom