AX8 + Decibel Eleven Loop Expander

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
I added a DB11 Loop Expander to my rig this week and had the chance to run it through the paces tonight at the gig.

It has opened up a whole new level of sonic freedom and flexibility. I have 3 external drives and an Empress Compressor, and now everything is tracking with AX8 scenes. I just eliminated a TON of tap dancing.

I was somewhat concerned about sound quality vs the RJM or the HEX, but the build and component quality was worthwhile. Transparent from what I could tell, using Lava cables.

If you are using external drives with the AX8 (or FX8) I highly recommend a loop switcher, and the DB11 is perfect for the job.

image.jpeg Hard to discern what's going on in the underside pic since I tried to clean up the cables as best as possible. That USB-MIDI cable is there because MIDI PC changes don't get sent out on the AX8's USB cable. I'm looking at you, @Joe Rogers ;-)

From the top pic, you can see that I placed it in a spot where I can see the loop status LEDs for a quick visual indication of which loops are active. I may mod it with different color LEDs for each loop.

And here's a pic of it "in action". So much easier when I'm singing if I don't have tap a bunch of pedals on and off.
image.jpeg

Very nice ! With 4 avilable loops I'm guessing you have two pedals that are run together ?

You can definitely do that when you have pedals you always use together.

In my case, the ParaEQ is really just being used as an easy place to plug in my guitar. I could use it as a boost but it won't be programmed - it's before the switcher.

The Turbo Tuner is using the tuner out of the MVP (Ernie Ball on the right) which is after the switcher.

I'm still using the MVP because I really like the sweep and the footprint. The other EB is a 25k going into Pedal 1.

If I add any more pedals they will likely be in the FX Loop. Looking for something unusual or funky - not a reverb because I love the Fractal verbs.

The board I'm putting together is going to use a db instruments 4E to save space. It's going to be a few months before I get it installed, Derrick is having issues with manufacturing at the moment. The EB Vp's are a deacent solution for pedals even though some don't like the taper.

The board I'm putting together is going to use a db instruments 4E to save space. It's going to be a few months before I get it installed, Derrick is having issues with manufacturing at the moment. The EB Vp's are a deacent solution for pedals even though some don't like the taper.

I definitely want to get the 4E but I don't want to be on another waiting list for awhile. :)

Back
Top Bottom