AX8 cutting out when recording

Hey all,
New AX8 in the house, quality is amazing I will certainly post full first impressions once I work out what's going on.

I'm using the spdif out of the AX8 into the 11 rack, into Logic Pro x.
The eleven rack is set to external clock at 48k, logic is set to 48k 24 bit, and I get random drop outs when recording some times 2 seconds in, sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 35 seconds etc, completely random

I've tried another spdif cable, reinstalling the January 2018 quantum files, recording without ax edit, without the usb plugged in, tried disabling all power save options on my Mac

can't quite work out what could be wrong, any ideas?

Doesn’t sound like a clocking issue.

Make sure the AX8 and 11R are on the same circuit. SPDIF is a digital signal over copper, and it can be susceptible to interference from ground loop noise (not audible noise - electrical noise being carried over the SPDIF copper). With digital signals, interference can cause a full dropout in the signal (versus analog, where the signal degrades).

Make sure you’re using a shielded SPDIF digital coax cable, and not just an RCA audio cable. There are differences in impedance and shielding even though the connectors are the same.

I'm using a cheap RCA audio cable for SPDIF without issues. In order to disturb the digital signal to actually drop packages it would require a really bad noise source which peaks above 1V on the wire. Bad connectors, however, can be a PITA.

Does it drop out when you change scenes or just randomly?

If with scenes, is it connected to AX8-Edit while recording? There could be a short drop out while the app downloads parameters. I'd quit the app during recording...

Is the 11rack setup to sync on an external clock source ? Did it sync ?

In the 11r menu it says it's ticked and selected as external clock spdif

Doesn’t sound like a clocking issue.

Make sure the AX8 and 11R are on the same circuit. SPDIF is a digital signal over copper, and it can be susceptible to interference from ground loop noise (not audible noise - electrical noise being carried over the SPDIF copper). With digital signals, interference can cause a full dropout in the signal (versus analog, where the signal degrades).

Make sure you’re using a shielded SPDIF digital coax cable, and not just an RCA audio cable. There are differences in impedance and shielding even though the connectors are the same.

I'll try different usb's tonight and different power points for both units

I'm using a cheap RCA audio cable for SPDIF without issues. In order to disturb the digital signal to actually drop packages it would require a really bad noise source which peaks above 1V on the wire. Bad connectors, however, can be a PITA.

So this might not be good enough? -I tried two different cables, same thing-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Phono-P...021483&hash=item440ba4602d:g:QVsAAOSwQr5Zuc1p

Maybe increase buffer size (in Logic) ?

Didn't think of that I'll try it tonight

Does it drop out when you change scenes or just randomly?

If with scenes, is it connected to AX8-Edit while recording? There could be a short drop out while the app downloads parameters. I'd quit the app during recording...

i've quit the app while recording, still happens, happens all the time regardless of changing scenes,

Tried increasing the logic buffer size, no dice

If this helps I get a pop or a click through both speakers then it cuts the audio recording, logic keeps recording but nothing is tracked

If you keep all the same, but try to record via analog, will the same issue happen? If not, it can be at least narrowed down to the digital chain... So it is easier to troubleshoot.

Back
Top Bottom