AX8 - Can The MFC-101 Be Used As An Extension?

EVHalen

Inspired
This question just crossed my mind as I was trying to map out ahead of time how I would assign the switches on the AX8:

Can we hook up the MFC-101 to the AX8 and get 17 additional switches?

I noticed that there is a MIDI IN port on the back panel of the AX8, just like on the Axe-Fx. Forgive my complete lack of understanding of MIDI, but does this mean that the idea will work? (Using a 5-pin MIDI cable and 9v power adapter for the MFC, of course).

Thanks in advance for any answers!

It will remain an AX8, you will just have more switches on it, not more effects slots available per preset ( kind of useless to have more switches than 8 if only 8 effects can be toggled at times)

It will remain an AX8, you will just have more switches on it, not more effects slots available per preset ( kind of useless to have more switches than 8 if only 8 effects can be toggled at times)

I'm not sure where you heard that the AX8 will only support 8 effects at a time. Cliff said that it will have a 4x12 grid like the Axe-Fx.

Oops! My bad. I thought it was kind of similar to the FX8, with the inclusion of the amp modeling technology. Good to know its going to give more to its users.

Edit: Found in another thread on this forum ( AX8 - Any Updates? )some infos about the unit:

"They are very cool. They're not an Axe-Fx but they're close. Same amp and cab modeling. Stripped down effects section and smaller grid (4x8 vs 4x12).

Two 450 MHz DSPs; one for amp modeling the other for effects/housekeeping.
Uses the same silent switch technology as the MFC-101 Mark III and FX-8.
Switches are assignable per patch via our new "Switch Assign Matrix" feature."

Last edited:
Oops! My bad. I thought it was kind of similar to the FX8, with the inclusion of the amp modeling technology. Good to know its going to give more to its users.

Edit: Found in another thread on this forum ( AX8 - Any Updates? )some infos about the unit:

"They are very cool. They're not an Axe-Fx but they're close. Same amp and cab modeling. Stripped down effects section and smaller grid (4x8 vs 4x12).

Two 450 MHz DSPs; one for amp modeling the other for effects/housekeeping.
Uses the same silent switch technology as the MFC-101 Mark III and FX-8.
Switches are assignable per patch via our new "Switch Assign Matrix" feature."

Cliff later said that they were making the AX8 grid larger than 4x8 one they had originally planned on.

We actually decided a couple days ago to make the grid 4x12.

Cliff later said that they were making the AX8 grid larger than 4x8 one they had originally planned on.

It says there is one "Combo Pack" deal left at the Fractal store. Get the Axe Fx II XL+ and the MFC-101 for $2499.00

We apparently have only hours left before we can buy the AX8 so we will know the cost of the AX8. Add the cost of the MFC-101 and I assume the "Combo" offer is a really good deal [$450 savings from buying separately]. Need expression pedals either way I suppose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom