AX8 Cab Block ...... quick questions

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Apologies in advance foe the likely " obvious' nes " of my questions, but as I’m not yet a current fractal user ( soon to be though :) ) can I please ask if my understanding of the following is correct:-

(a) => the AX8 will run one cab block, but that one cab block can contain 2 cabs (?)

if this is correct, I gather that means that:-

(b) => the 2 cabs in the one Cab block must be a Stereo IR of the same single cabinet ie: a Stereo IR of say a single 2 x 12 Cabinet …. which could be a single stereo IR of a 2 x 12 Cab which has 1 x Ceramic Speaker + 1 x Alnico Speaker (?)

and therefore:-

(c) => the 2 cabs in the one Cab block -cannot- be 1 x mono “Ceramic Speaker” IR and 1 x mono “ Alnico Speaker “ IR (?)

Again, hoping I have explained this correctly.

Fwiw, my question is purely one of knowledge and awareness as for me, running the AX8 with 1 x amp and 1 x mono cab is more than I will ever use – I've been using my real and digital rigs this way for 43 years so aint likely to change any time soon :)

All the best and thanks again,
Ben

In the AxeII, the left and right cab blocks are two totally independent IRs with level and pan controls for each. Apparently it will be the same in the AX8.

You can pair any two IRs that you would like. It is not one stereo IR of the same speaker.

You can have completely different cab in the 'left' or 'right' channel. e.g. 2x12 Vox on the left and 2x12 Matchless on the right.
You can then pan them as you wish i.e. in the middle to blend them, or hard panned left and right.

In fact using Fractal's cab-lab software (sold separately) they could each be a mix of several cabinets each with differing speakers and/or multiple mics. I very rarely see fit to use two cab blocks in the AFII for this reason,

Wow. Thanks. It gets even better than I thought.

So with the AX8 -even with my simple old-school mind and approach- I could run [say] a Matchless DC30 amp into the one Cab Block where that one Cab Block has [say] a 1x12 Ceramic IR on the left and a 1x12 Alnico IR on the right ....... and if I was just using a mono rig [like 1 x CLR] the AX8 would simply run the 2 x Different IR's out in mono and "sum them up" according to their individual pan and level controls (?)

Ben

Wow. Thanks. It gets even better than I thought.

So with the AX8 -even with my simple old-school mind and approach- I could run [say] a Matchless DC30 amp into the one Cab Block where that one Cab Block has [say] a 1x12 Ceramic IR on the left and a 1x12 Alnico IR on the right ....... and if I was just using a mono rig [like 1 x CLR] the AX8 would simply run the 2 x Different IR's out in mono and "sum them up" according to their individual pan and level controls (?)

Ben

100% correct 1 amp block into 1 Cab block running 2 IR dual mono ( center pan )

Thanks. That's great.

For current non-Fractal people like me, I assumed the AX8 was 1 x Amp in to 1 Cab but that 1 Cab meant 1 x Mono IR.

From my years of experience, all other things being equal, nothing impacts and changes the tone and feel of an amp like the speakers it is using ..... I used to run my [real] DC 30 in to a 2 x 12 Cab with one ceramic and one Alnico .....gorgeous tone but my back and neck just can't do it anymore.

The more I find out about the AX8, the better it gets ...... and I was well and truly sold already :)

Ben

Ben, be aware that the interaction between amp and cabs in the axefx is done within the amp block. The cab block model the pure frequency response of cone/cabs and coil distortion. I think you could obtain a result closer to real cabs mixing the IR and tuning the amp block (advanced param).

Back
Top Bottom